Coral Vue Hydros

RollaJase's 30G Custom Cube - Tank Torn Down

RollaJase

24 hours later and the clown looks to be doing much better. Water in the QT is slightly cloudy after teh second dose of Melafix though. Ammonia tested, still at 0 or close to 0. I took a few liters of water out of the QT and added a few fresh liters from the DT just to be safe. My medications shipped this morning so I should have them by the end of the working week.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck with the clown. I think these diseases are everywhere and probably in every tank, regardless of QT procedures. When stress is present and the immune system is compromised fish tend to get sick. Hopefully treatment in the hospital tank will go well and it won't happen again!

Good luck with the clown. I think these diseases are everywhere and probably in every tank, regardless of QT procedures. When stress is present and the immune system is compromised fish tend to get sick. Hopefully treatment in the hospital tank will go well and it won't happen again!

I tend to agree Mark. Disease at some degree is probably present in every tank. It's only when something out of the norm happens that it really take a hold.

Glad to hear it's doing better.

So was I until I got home from work :(.

Well the little girl didn't make it :(. Got home from work at 6pm and she had passed. No trace of ammonia in the tank so I'm fairly confident that it was the disease that got her. Mum called me at around 3.30pm to tell me she was swimming around and all looked good, no signs of gasping or anything that she could see (she wouldn't have missed it, she saw the clown at its worst). So I don't really know what made things take a turn for the worst so quickly. Even dad was quite shocked at her passing. We don't have a lot in common my father and me but he has tried to take an interest in reefing since late last year. He can appreciate the water chemistry side of things as he has dealt with water quality for the better part of 35 years working in the irrigation industry. Looks like I am going on the hunt for another juvenile on Saturday. I'd really like to get a standard occy as I would love to have a mixed strain pair.

On the upside, I will be fully stocked on medicine as of tomorrow so if something goes wrong I can jump on it immediately.

I tend to agree Mark. Disease at some degree is probably present in every tank. It's only when something out of the norm happens that it really take a hold.

So was I until I got home from work :(.

Well the little girl didn't make it :(. Got home from work at 6pm and she had passed. No trace of ammonia in the tank so I'm fairly confident that it was the disease that got her. Mum called me at around 3.30pm to tell me she was swimming around and all looked good, no signs of gasping or anything that she could see (she wouldn't have missed it, she saw the clown at its worst). So I don't really know what made things take a turn for the worst so quickly. Even dad was quite shocked at her passing. We don't have a lot in common my father and me but he has tried to take an interest in reefing since late last year. He can appreciate the water chemistry side of things as he has dealt with water quality for the better part of 35 years working in the irrigation industry. Looks like I am going on the hunt for another juvenile on Saturday. I'd really like to get a standard occy as I would love to have a mixed strain pair.

On the upside, I will be fully stocked on medicine as of tomorrow so if something goes wrong I can jump on it immediately.

Sucks to hear, better luck on the next. Tank looks bdautiful .

Sucks to hear, better luck on the next. Tank looks bdautiful .

Oh well, no point dwelling on the past. That will show me not to have correct medication on hand, if I had the poor girl may have had a better chance of survival. Thank you though.

crap

It hasn't been the greatest week for me haha. Bring on 5pm so the weekend can begin!

It hasn't been the greatest week for me haha. Bring on 5pm so the weekend can begin!

OMG...didn't even register that tomorrow is Friday...yay!!!! I'll drink a margarita for you tomorrow :).

Sorry about the clown.

OMG...didn't even register that tomorrow is Friday...yay!!!! I'll drink a margarita for you tomorrow :).

Sorry about the clown.

Definitely going to be some drinks this weekend, its my birfday on Monday! Better yet it's 2pm Friday over here :D.

Thanks Gena :).

Definitely going to be some drinks this weekend, its my birfday on Monday! Better yet it's 2pm Friday over here :D.

Thanks Gena :).

How old will you be?

Happy Friday/weekend before your Birthday :happydance:.

How old will you be?

Happy Friday/weekend before your Birthday :happydance:.

I will be turning 23 on Monday. The bad thing about having a birthday on Monday is that the highlight of my week will be on the first day back at work haha.

I will be turning 23 on Monday. The bad thing about having a birthday on Monday is that the highlight of my week will be on the first day back at work haha.

So you've been drinking for a few years then ;). Happy Birthday now in case I forget to send you wishes on Monday (Sunday for me) :flower:.
NorthGaHillbilly

Just sat down and read through your thread, awesome tank, great coral, and you wake up to some lovely surroundings. Keep it up!

NGaHB

So you've been drinking for a few years then ;). Happy Birthday now in case I forget to send you wishes on Monday (Sunday for me) :flower:.

Yeah a few years now Gena, legal age is 18 over here. Thank you Gena :D:flower: .

Just sat down and read through your thread, awesome tank, great coral, and you wake up to some lovely surroundings. Keep it up!

NGaHB

Thanks North, I'm glad you like what you see :).

Well, you're just a youngin'! Happy Birthday :wizard: Pretend it's a party hat!

That I am :), thank you very much for the birthday wishes.

Damn this tank is looking awesome man. Keep up the good work. Oh, and happy birthday too!

Thanks Veng :). I have had a few set backs lately but as a whole I think its in the best shape it has ever been. I have noticed that you have been undertaking some cool DIY stuff lately. I need to check in and see what that's all about!

Thanks Veng :). I have had a few set backs lately but as a whole I think its in the best shape it has ever been. I have noticed that you have been undertaking some cool DIY stuff lately. I need to check in and see what that's all about!

Mostly just a slow tease going on it'll be another week before it'll really take shape.

Mostly just a slow tease going on it'll be another week before it'll really take shape.

I look forward to seeing how it all pans out then :).

I look forward to seeing how it all pans out then :).

Assuming work doesn't go wonky this next week, I should be doing more major cutting next weekend and the gluing the final joints.

Sorry to hear about the clown :(

Other than that, everything looks SO good Rollajase! The colors are phenomenal. I wish I had SPS that looked that good ;)

Sorry to hear about the clown :(

Other than that, everything looks SO good Rollajase! The colors are phenomenal. I wish I had SPS that looked that good ;)

Thanks Gramophone :). Yeah a real shame about the clown, I plan on picking up another juvenile one this weekend. My LFS was getting 8 or so in during the week.

Lots of hype about this Nualgi stuff lately so I figured I'd give it a try. 50ml bottle for $30AUD shipped is not to bad at all. I also had a pretty much immediate response from Anil who informed me that I was the second person from Australia to place an order and that they are absolutely ecstatic about how fast word is spreading. After a few back and forth emails I will be getting a second 50ml bottle thrown in for free to help spread the word on this side of the pond :D.

Sorry to hear about the clown :( Fish are so stressful sometimes. They seem like they can have so many issues and a lot of the time there isn't much we can do.

You'll have to let us know how you like the Nualgi. Seems to be getting pretty popular! That's awesome that they're throwing in a free bottle for you :)

Sorry to hear about the clown :( Fish are so stressful sometimes. They seem like they can have so many issues and a lot of the time there isn't much we can do.

You'll have to let us know how you like the Nualgi. Seems to be getting pretty popular! That's awesome that they're throwing in a free bottle for you :)

Thanks Felicia, that clown had been my longest surviving tank inhabitant so it was a real shame to see her go. At least now I have a chance to establish a new mixed species pair.

I'll definitely post my finding on Nualgi, it shipped out at the end of last week so it will probably take 2 weeks or so as long as customs doesn't seize it :S.

Well a small update on what has been happening on my side of the pond. A category 5 Cyclone (Hurricane for those of you across the pond) hit Cairns and the GBR this week. No deaths but it also means no livestock from the GBR came interstate during the week so no new juvenile clown for me :(. I have one on order at the LFS because I don't want to drive 40 mins to my favorite LFS that I know will have them. I have picked up two new pieces over the last few weeks though. Last week I picked up a nice grey/blue with orange polyp monti and the past weekend I picked up a fluro green tentacle frogspawn as well. The monti was a steal, a really reasonable sized piece that had been sunburnt and has some algae growing on the torched parts and it cost me close to nothing. One week later in my tank with GFO and a decent clean up crew the algae is 60% gone and the damaged parts of the piece are starting to heal over. I initially thought it was a superman monti but now I'm not too sure, I post up a macro later for ID. I have also recently cut out two huge piece of Xenia that I am trying to find a home for. I was seriously considering doing a Xenia fuge but I think it will just get too messy.

On the sump install side of things...no progress what so ever. Been way to busy to give it a second thought lately. I have however measured up the remaining baffles that I need to cut so once I do that the sump at least will be finished. The stand still has a few bits and pieces that need finishing. The biggest thing to do in the stand is to mount the power boards (power strips) and the fan panel that I made. Then I need to cut a new vertical slit for tubing and cords to fit through. After that is done I need to take care of the lighting and cable management, all things I would really like to do with no sump in there so I will probably be putting that off until I can get all of it sorted. It isn't hard work to do, I just need to set aside two solid days to be able to get it done. The Easter holiday would have been perfect but I am going away :).

Archived