inTank Media Baskets

RollaJase's 30G Custom Cube - Tank Torn Down

RollaJase

Tanks looking great I wish I could grow zoas like that in my 22. I have amphipods that come out at night and wreck all over my zoas and leave my palys alone go figure. I'd put something in there to eat em but I have just decided no zoas for me there lol.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, Jason....it looks fantastic!!!! I love it all :).

You should move that leather, on the sand, next to the plates, away from the plates. Probably why it's closed up right now. LPS and leathers hate each other and will fight.

Tanks looking great I wish I could grow zoas like that in my 22. I have amphipods that come out at night and wreck all over my zoas and leave my palys alone go figure. I'd put something in there to eat em but I have just decided no zoas for me there lol.

Thank you :). That's odd, I have amphipods who live amongst the zoas on the big rock. At feeding time I can see them scurrying about and at the transition from day to night as the zoas close you can clearly see them moving back into teh rock work. They don't seem to bother anything though. Once I have the sump in I plan on seeding everything with pods and adding a mandarin goby, iven if the amphipods were causing problem they wouldn't be any more after that haha.

Wow, Jason....it looks fantastic!!!! I love it all :).

You should move that leather, on the sand, next to the plates, away from the plates. Probably why it's closed up right now. LPS and leathers hate each other and will fight.

Thank you so much Gena :flower: . The leather coral is usually over in the far right corner and I have since moved it back after that pic (stupid buldozer stromb snail haha). The leather is angry because I had my frag rack above it over the last week or so blocking some of the flow allowing it to get dirty. I had a quick look at the tank this morning and it is already starting to peel back the top layer and inflating more. Thanks for the tip though, I want to find it a more permanent home in the tank.

/TOTM

Wow, thank you so much, that reaally means a lot :).

Your tank is fantastic!!!! I'm totally jealous :wub:

Thanks Danna, I'm glad you like it :flower: .

5l0b.jpg

hutz.jpg

:o Man you've been holding out on us with these AHHHmazing FTS pictures!! The colors your getting from everything is over the top. That lights really doing its job. Great scape and my absolute favorite coral in there now is that insane baby blue plate with green fingers!! I have to have one of those. Might be the nicest dual colored plate ive seen.

:o Man you've been holding out on us with these AHHHmazing FTS pictures!! The colors your getting from everything is over the top. That lights really doing its job. Great scape and my absolute favorite coral in there now is that insane baby blue plate with green fingers!! I have to have one of those. Might be the nicest dual colored plate ive seen.

Cheers buddy :D. Yep has been a long time between FTS's (for good reason IMO). I was hoping the next FTS would be equipment-less but we can't always get what we want ey ;)? To be honest when I purchased that plate from the store I didn't think too much of it, they labelled it as 'green' and I think it looked a lot nicer that the completely fluro green ones they had at the time. It wasn't until I got home that I realised the body (that I thought was grey) glowed really well under blue lights making it look almost blue. IT is really striking in person. I am still really enjoying the Sol Blue, getting some great colour and decent growth out of it. I will eventually purchase the AI Hydra upgrade kit so I have full spectrum lighting (I think it will benefit the SPS's colouration) but I am waiting for the AUD/US exchange rates to swing closer towards parity. I may even organise to pick one up when I head to the US early next year :D.

Neat, the Xenia back there looks like a Weeping Willow in the Spring; they have those pink flowers.

Thanks, that's kinda the look I was going for. My scape is fairly shallow with a lot of low rock and open turbulant water in the top 1/3 of the tank. I wanted some colour and movement up there as the fish barely more through that area. I am training the Xenia to grow up the back wall and it is progressing nicely, looks a lot better with water movement (takes up more space).

Awesome tank, and I love the progress you've made.

Thanks, it has been a huge learning curve but I think it is all paying off. I'm running out of room in this tank though ;).

Thanks, that's kinda the look I was going for. My scape is fairly shallow with a lot of low rock and open turbulant water in the top 1/3 of the tank. I wanted some colour and movement up there as the fish barely more through that area. I am training the Xenia to grow up the back wall and it is progressing nicely, looks a lot better with water movement (takes up more space).

Thanks, it has been a huge learning curve but I think it is all paying off. I'm running out of room in this tank though ;).

I can't get over how awesome it looks!!!! One of my very favorites on NR now :).

I can't get over how awesome it looks!!!! One of my very favorites on NR now :).

Thanks again Gena, both of your tanks are very high up on my favorites list as well :).

i may have asked you this before, but how did you fix the algae problem in this pic??

That picture doesn't even show how bad it was to begin with haha, imagine every rock coated in GHA and red slime over the top of the GHA and all over the sand. That algae took a lot of effort to resolve. If I recall correctly I did have my sump running but had no skimmer at the time. I reduced my light cycle on the DT by half and increased it on the sump for my macro algae, reduced feeding amount by half and fed only once a day instead of twice (brine every night, no pellets auto fed during the day), I increased from 10% water changes to 20% weekly and I ran RowaPhos in a media bag in my sump. Took 2 months to get back to normal I believe. At the time I was also running really high salinity due to a faulty hydrometer which caused a lot of coral agitation and I lost most of my cleanup crew. I could probably have made a quicker turn around with more frequent water changes and peroxide treatment but at the time I had absolutely no money and couldn't afford the salt or the peroxide.

Archived