Top Shelf Aquatics

RollaJase's 30G Custom Cube - Tank Torn Down

RollaJase

Your corals are just so beautiful. Their colors are striking. I've never seen red and green loook so.....red and green. Some people's look pink or light green. You know what I mean.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your corals are just so beautiful. Their colors are striking. I've never seen red and green loook so.....red and green. Some people's look pink or light green. You know what I mean.

Thank you,I have tried to get a nice mix of colours throughout the tank, think I still need some more blue though. Yeah I know what you mean, red and green can be hard to shoot with a standard point and shoot camera. The blue light reacts differently with the green and red making it really difficult to get accurate colour rendition with most cameras. Patience and a bit of post processing is the key ;).

Thank you,I have tried to get a nice mix of colours throughout the tank, think I still need some more blue though. Yeah I know what you mean, red and green can be hard to shoot with a standard point and shoot camera. The blue light reacts differently with the green and red making it really difficult to get accurate colour rendition with most cameras. Patience and a bit of post processing is the key ;).

You speak of blue, I want a turquoise and navy rock flower!!! Never have seen any such thing though but it would be beautiful. Even Royal blue and sky blue. I like the one I have esp that's 2 tone green so my head is thinking up other wild combos.

You speak of blue, I want a turquoise and navy rock flower!!! Never have seen any such thing though but it would be beautiful. Even Royal blue and sky blue. I like the one I have esp that's 2 tone green so my head is thinking up other wild combos.

A blue rock flower would be awesome, IMO blue corals are hard to come by if they aren't SPS or mushies.

A blue rock flower would be awesome, IMO blue corals are hard to come by if they aren't SPS or mushies.

Yep, I know they have blue sps and it looks pretty. Some zoas are blue so I know the ocean can do this!!! C'mon ocean! Create me something blue!!

Yep, I know they have blue sps and it looks pretty. Some zoas are blue so I know the ocean can do this!!! C'mon ocean! Create me something blue!!

Let me know if you fine one, you have be intrigued now haha.

Hey, so what's the deal w/ your Barrier Reef over there? What's the latest about this dumping?

You probably know as much as we do on that front, the government are keeping it very hush hush. There has been a huge public backlash this past week with a ton of protests. Another part of this whole dumping scandal is that they will kill off an endangered species of marine turtle. This particular species returns every year to the same beach, the only beach to lay eggs. This beach is only 30km down current from the port they want to excavate. It seems that they genuinely don't care at all about the reef. This is quite odd because over the last few years they were using the decline of the reef in some areas to push the whole 'Global Warming' debate. I suspect international money is to blame.

A friend of mine summed this debate up perfectly yesterday:

After successfully aiding in the extinction of 54 animal species in the past 226 years, it seems Australia is moving on to screwing up the next realm of the animal kingdom, the ocean, reefs and contained species.

You probably know as much as we do on that front, the government are keeping it very hush hush. There has been a huge public backlash this past week with a ton of protests. Another part of this whole dumping scandal is that they will kill off an endangered species of marine turtle. This particular species returns every year to the same beach, the only beach to lay eggs. This beach is only 30km down current from the port they want to excavate. It seems that they genuinely don't care at all about the reef. This is quite odd because over the last few years they were using the decline of the reef in some areas to push the whole 'Global Warming' debate. I suspect international money is to blame.

A friend of mine summed this debate up perfectly yesterday:

After successfully aiding in the extinction of 54 animal species in the past 226 years, it seems Australia is moving on to screwing up the next realm of the animal kingdom, the ocean, reefs and contained species.

Yeah, all I've heard is that they approved dumping. We need someone to actually go to the house of the officials and money grubbing people and take a shit in their living rooms, over and over and over.

Yeah, all I've heard is that they approved dumping. We need someone to actually go to the house of the officials and money grubbing people and take a shit in their living rooms, over and over and over.

I agree 100%. It's actually sadder that I found out about these plans online from an international source before the story broke through local channels.

Love it!! The base on it is quite a bit darker than mine and i like it!

Thanks :D. It really isn't that dark, just took a low light shot to show off the fluorescence. The body is a mid pink/Brown similar to yours with a dark blue/purple hue around the leading edges.

Sorry to hear about all your problems a couple weeks back. Sure hope your Grandma is all well now!

Really like your new coral loot & would :wub: to see a current FTS!!

Sorry to hear about all your problems a couple weeks back. Sure hope your Grandma is all well now!

Really like your new coral loot & would :wub: to see a current FTS!!

Thanks Wendy :flower: .

Grandma is ok, turned out she had a heart attack. She is out of hospital now but in an assisted care facility until she has enough strength to go home. I am planning a new FTS soon, just finished mounting most of my loot today so want to give them a chance to bounce back a little, perhaps tomorrow :).

Time for some new pichurs!

I mounted most of my new candy over the weekend as well as a few older pieces I hadn't decided where to place yet.

I mounted all the SPS together on top of the right plateau (now at capacity!):

os4p.jpg

Mounted the new chalice with my other one (leaving some room for a gold torch when I can find one):

ai08.jpg

1dcw.JPG

Also mounted the new zoas (I have 3 gardens on the grow now):

5l0b.jpg

p3qk.jpg

Also I completely forgot I hadn't posted any pictures of this up:

v5if.jpg

I picked this up when I got my hogfish, not amazing colour but I liked it, purple body with blue/green fringe and mouth.

And to cap things off, a long overdue FTS and some perspective shots:

hutz.jpg

y6v7.jpg

ldz4.jpg

1rmt.jpg

i9yt.JPG

Work on the sump continues, made some progress today and might post up some progress shots later today :).

Such a CLEAN look to your tank! Totally jelly of your 300+ or so Z and P island in the front of the tank on the sand bed.

Thank you very much for the kind words :). I love how that front zoa garden has come together as well, about 8 month growth total, the green zoas need a bit of trimming (they grow like weeds!).

AWESOME FTS! Why are you hiding that ultra green brain (i think) coral in the back?!?!

Thanks ninja :D. To be honest I'm not sure what that piece is, I loved the colour and my LFS over ordered so I got a great deal on it at the time. The reason it's around the back there is because I have no room in the front lol, that and that particular area is the lowest flow area in my tank and it seems to love it, my Cynarina is around the back there as well. I was planning on putting it in the front where my fungia plates are but funnily enough the plates can't get enough of the stronger current.

Thank you very much for the kind words :). I love how that front zoa garden has come together as well, about 8 month growth total, the green zoas need a bit of trimming (they grow like weeds!).

I can only hope that mine will look as good in 6 months or so! Have a look when you have a chance and let me know what you think. Just got a new camera and will be posting new pics soon.

I can only hope that mine will look as good in 6 months or so! Have a look when you have a chance and let me know what you think. Just got a new camera and will be posting new pics soon.

Good light, good water conditions and you'll have an awesome garden in no time :D. I'll make sure to take a look ;).

This is what I have been up to on and off over the last few weeks, waiting for parts to arrive.

Pretty much finished the backing plate I made for the stand with the intake and exhaust fans. Only thing left to do is drill out some mounting holes and a pass through for the sump return. Made from scratch out of some aluminium sheet I had laying around from my PC modding days.

https://imageshack.com/i/7g4e3aJ'>4e3a.JPG

Made two small ledges to protect the fans from any splashing:

https://imageshack.com/i/7gj6eyJ'>j6ey.JPG

Covered it in noise deadening pad and cut out the holes and mounted the two fans:

https://imageshack.com/i/e9d70uj'>d70u.jpg

https://imageshack.com/i/0vwf8pJ'>wf8p.JPG

https://imageshack.com/i/f5zy0yj'>zy0y.jpg

https://imageshack.com/i/5btyrtj'>tyrt.jpg

https://imageshack.com/i/5n90kdj'>90kd.jpg

No pics of the sump right now, just finished fixing some baffles in and don't want to move it with the silicon wet.

Tank looks great man! Bright colors and great movement....must be pretty relaxing to look at!

Love the fan-work. Super clean.

Thanks Jack :D. I'm really enjoying how everything is looking right now, yep very relaxing (when nems aren't blending themselves anyway!). Believe it or not that fan plate took about an hour and a half to do without painting. I didn't have a 120mm hole saw so had to go at it with a jigsaw, that part took the longest.

Thanks Jack :D. I'm really enjoying how everything is looking right now, yep very relaxing (when nems aren't blending themselves anyway!). Believe it or not that fan plate took about an hour and a half to do without painting. I didn't have a 120mm hole saw so had to go at it with a jigsaw, that part took the longest.

LOL @ kamikaze nem!

Not bad for a jigsaw.....good blade choice, apparently. :bowdown:

LOL @ kamikaze nem!

Not bad for a jigsaw.....good blade choice, apparently. :bowdown:

No more nems for me, not in a tank this small haha. The jigsaw is pretty versatile, didn't have the right blade either though haha. Had to make do with a steel blade, didn't have one suitable for aluminium.

Archived