Cultivated Reef

RollaJase's 30G Custom Cube - Tank Torn Down

RollaJase

It looks like a lot of people are having success with it Gena, perhaps its worth giving it a shot later on? I'll definitely be posting frequent updates when I start dosing.

Bout time I gave you all an update ey?

If in a few months I still have some eye sores in the tank, I'll give it a go :). I'll definitely follow along to see how it works for you!

Love the update :D.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
exactlyobp

Looking real good, from the beach and to the lil reef in your house. I keep going back to the chalice photo btw. Waiting for the FTS :D

Yes, I just checked out your Flower Box. Its beautiful and I like the new tank. I would be nervous too about trying a new product in a new tank. I was nervous trying it in my established tank. I am starting to relax now.

Gina, Nualgi emailed me and asked if I would write a review on their website. When I went to it I was shocked to see they featured my tank as a testimonial complete with pictures and everything. As part of the free trial I document almost every week how the tank is doing. Anyway it was crazy to see my tank. Because Nualgi feeds the fauna in the tank and I am planning to add a seahorse tank to my system and share a sump. I thinking that photosynthetic gorgonias and maybe even sponges should benefit from Nualgi.

RollaJase

Dont know a name, but that thing is really awesome... drool

The LFS had a huge chunk with someones name on it, this was a piece that had broken off the original plate. It was in pretty bad shape when I picked it up but going by what the original colony looked like I couldn't pass up the opportunity to save it :).

If in a few months I still have some eye sores in the tank, I'll give it a go :). I'll definitely follow along to see how it works for you!

Love the update :D.

Thanks Gena :). Congrats on TOTM as well! It's a few month overdue though ;).

Looking real good, from the beach and to the lil reef in your house. I keep going back to the chalice photo btw. Waiting for the FTS :D

Thanks man :). That chalice is still one of my favorite pieces in my tank, I like it even more considering it was an export quality piece that I paid next to nothing for ;).

Gina, Nualgi emailed me and asked if I would write a review on their website. When I went to it I was shocked to see they featured my tank as a testimonial complete with pictures and everything. As part of the free trial I document almost every week how the tank is doing. Anyway it was crazy to see my tank. Because Nualgi feeds the fauna in the tank and I am planning to add a seahorse tank to my system and share a sump. I thinking that photosynthetic gorgonias and maybe even sponges should benefit from Nualgi.

That is really good to know, I really can't wait to give it a shot.

One thing I have forgotten to mention is my recent discoveries after I have started using carbon in a reactor as apposed to a media bag. The biggest advantage is that the carbon I am using is going a lot further before it gets infested with bristle worms. My media bag used to last 3-4 weeks before it became all gunky and disgusting before it had to be replaced, the reactor will last for close to 2 months if the filters don't get clogged (which I can clean anyway). Another big advantage (also a disadvantage) is the efficiency, After running carbon in a reactor I will never go back to a media bag, the water is so clear I can not believe it. The downside of this that the clearer water has allowed more light penetration leading to serious burning and browning out on my garf bonsai (highest SPS in the tank), the Xenia don't seem to mind though and is growing even faster. The upside of this though is I have dialed back my lights 10% (and will probably go lower) which will save power and prolong the life of my fixture.

I missed the most recent photo update too! Stunning new photos. I absolutely love those zoas you got. Sorry to hear about the original female clown, but I'm glad you got a new one and they paired up immediately. Baby clowns are just so cute :)

RollaJase

Wow, somehow I missed the last picture update. Looks incredible!

Thanks Mark, glad you like it :).

I missed the most recent photo update too! Stunning new photos. I absolutely love those zoas you got. Sorry to hear about the original female clown, but I'm glad you got a new one and they paired up immediately. Baby clowns are just so cute :)

Thanks Felicia, I really like the new zoas as well. I have come to a conculsion with zoas, much easier to make a garden out of multiple rocks with a colony on each then to put multiple colonies on a single rock. That is my biggest regret with my zoa garden, going to be an absolute pain to frag some growth out when I stop procrastinating and do it. Was a real shame that the female clown didn't make it through her session in QT, after the firefish died she was the longest surviving tank inhabitant. Not all bad news though, I had been wanting a mixed ocelalris pair for a long time now so the bad fortune worked in my favour. They really are a cute couple and the black clown keeps pecking at my zoa garden now trying to get them to let him snuggle.

Time for a Mothers Day ninja post :ninja:. Firstly happy Mother's Day too all the mothers out there! I hope you all get spoilt rotten and enjoy your day with friends and family.

My weekend thus far has consisted of errands, gym, house chores and a very big Mothers Day lunch with the entire family. Amongst all this I managed to do a full clean on the tank and decided it was FTS time as my picture updates have been lacking as of late.

So sit back and enjoy :D.

Full Shot:

http://img841.imageshack.us/i/c2sxc.jpg/'>c2sxc.jpg

Pumps On:

http://img838.imageshack.us/i/xffe.jpg/'>xffe.jpg

Pumps Off:

http://img834.imageshack.us/i/vu6v.jpg/'>vu6v.jpg

http://img845.imageshack.us/i/k1bl.jpg/'>k1bl.jpg

http://img841.imageshack.us/i/tmu1.jpg/'>tmu1.jpg

http://img843.imageshack.us/i/9z2x7.jpg/'>9z2x7.jpg

http://img843.imageshack.us/i/j7nv.jpg/'>j7nv.jpg

The right hand side of my tank is very bare, something I plan on rectifying once the sump is installed and I move some of the equipment. I also managed to get some more work done on outfitting the inside of my stand in preparation for the sump install. I can't really do much more on the sump until I sort this out so am trying to do bits and pieces when I can as the sump install is well overdue, almost 6 months since I started *sigh* :(.

opaquelace

Wow, that water definitely is very clear! Looks beautiful! Is that an elegance by the wellso/trachy? You don't find it stings anything? They have some beautiful elegance corals at a fish store about an hour away. One that has a yellow tint to it that I'd love to pick up but I'm worried is going to pack a punch in terms of sting.

Wow, that water definitely is very clear! Looks beautiful! Is that an elegance by the wellso/trachy? You don't find it stings anything? They have some beautiful elegance corals at a fish store about an hour away. One that has a yellow tint to it that I'd love to pick up but I'm worried is going to pack a punch in terms of sting.

Thank you very much :). Yeah that is an elegance, I have two in this tank. I have never had an issue with them stinging anything, yes they are capable of a sting but since they don't put out sweeping tentacles like other LPS they are probably a much safer option. As long as you are careful on the placement and take into account the fact that they can swell quite large when they are happy/feeding then you should be fine.

opaquelace

Thank you very much :). Yeah that is an elegance, I have two in this tank. I have never had an issue with them stinging anything, yes they are capable of a sting but since they don't put out sweeping tentacles like other LPS they are probably a much safer option. As long as you are careful on the placement and take into account the fact that they can swell quite large when they are happy/feeding then you should be fine.

Awesome. I have a good spot for it on the right side of my tank. Maybe that will be my next purchase. Also, I might start running carbon now instead of ChemiPure. :ninja: I ran carbon on my 12 gallon NanoCube back in the day and it really does keep the water oh so clear. It probably also helped that I didn't have a pistol shrimp that digs mansions under the rock work lol, but my sand bed is super clean!

Looks great Jason, incredibly clear and healthy looking.

Thank you Mark. Running carbon in a reactor has made a huge difference to clarity levels.

your tank is lookin awesome!

Thanks Ninja, glad you like it.

Jase!!!!! :bowdown:

Your tank is looking amazing!!!!!!

What brand reactors are those hanging on the side?

Thank you so much Gena :wub:. Those reactors are made by Fista Filtrations in the UK by forum member 'fizzy'. I was planning on doing a review on them but never got around to doing it. Great build quality and versatility. I have made a few slight modifications but besides that I have been really happy with them. Reactor one is full of carbon and flows into reactor two which holds GFO. I control the flow leading into reactor one so I can control the tumble of the GFO in reactor two.

Awesome. I have a good spot for it on the right side of my tank. Maybe that will be my next purchase. Also, I might start running carbon now instead of ChemiPure. :ninja: I ran carbon on my 12 gallon NanoCube back in the day and it really does keep the water oh so clear. It probably also helped that I didn't have a pistol shrimp that digs mansions under the rock work lol, but my sand bed is super clean!

I really like elagance corals and want to get a third if I can find something I like. They do best on the sand but I have wedged my two in crevices in the rock work in low flow areas and they have always been happy. I run carbon 24/7 now, not really neccesary but I like hte clear water, the corals don't mind and it is added protection against the toxins leather corals release.

The bottom left of your tank where your mushrooms vibrant colors contrast one in others has inspired me.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it. Believe it or not that mushroom patch started off as probably 3-5 individual schrooms and they have continued to divide ever since.

opaquelace

And you said your tank wasn't TOTM worthy.... <_<

It is looking really good!!!!

Totally TOTM worthy!!

And you said your tank wasn't TOTM worthy.... <_<

It is looking really good!!!!

I never said it wasn't, just that it was an honour that you thought it was :P.

I'm not one to toot my own horn haha :lol: .

Tank looks great Rolla! :)

Thanks Illu :).

Totally TOTM worthy!!

Thank you very much :blush: .

Legendary Corals

Oh my... this is a very lovely cube! I love how simple it is and yet there's some feel of complexity.

:wub:

Oh my... this is a very lovely cube! I love how simple it is and yet there's some feel of complexity.

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. If only I was on the same continent as you, I would love to order some of your reef candies :).

Archived