Top Shelf Aquatics

RollaJase's 30G Custom Cube - Tank Torn Down

RollaJase

Nice new corals! Looks like you have an awesome selection of corals over there! I'm jealous :)

Sorry to hear about the clown. Is he continuing to improve? I hope his eye goes back to normal soon!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice new corals! Looks like you have an awesome selection of corals over there! I'm jealous :)

Sorry to hear about the clown. Is he continuing to improve? I hope his eye goes back to normal soon!

Thanks, yeah they had a pretty good selection but not much I was really interested in.

The clown has improved greatly, almost back to full health :D.

Congrats on the new Hammer and Green Toadstool. Really nice pickups. Those are two of my favorites in my tank to, they POP like crazy under blues.

Thanks for sharing more pics of LFS, thats always a treat. I dont have a LFS here so its always fun to see pics of other peeps LFS.

They have a nice selection!

Bummer on the Popeye clown man, but glad to hears hes on the mend :) That's a gnarly looking eye, i would have worried like crazy. Never seen any fish do that. Maybe he was just impressed by your new corals looking all sexy and went all bug eyed checking em out :eek:

Congrats on the new Hammer and Green Toadstool. Really nice pickups. Those are two of my favorites in my tank to, they POP like crazy under blues.

Thanks for sharing more pics of LFS, thats always a treat. I dont have a LFS here so its always fun to see pics of other peeps LFS.

They have a nice selection!

Bummer on the Popeye clown man, but glad to hears hes on the mend :) That's a gnarly looking eye, i would have worried like crazy. Never seen any fish do that. Maybe he was just impressed by your new corals looking all sexy and went all bug eyed checking em out :eek:

Thanks man, yeah your right, they really pop under the actinics. I think I am going to pick up a green or if I can find one, a blue finger leather for that back island as well. I'm glad you liked the pics of the LFS, like I said, that isn't my usual one ;). You would be seriously jealous of my usual store haha.

The clown has pretty much made a full recovery. All the swelling went down over the course of 2-3 days and pretty much everything is back to normal. The eye is still a little bit cloudy but I don't think it caused any permanent damage (hopefully).

On another note, the tips of my oregon tort have started to bleach off a little so I knocked my lighting back 5%. My parameters are all good and the polyps are still at full extension so I'm not sure what else it could be. I also moved it over to the mushroom island as I thought I needed a bit more blue over there and the water is a little bit more random and I thought it would be beneficial due to how dense the branches are. My original SPS frag continues to encrust and grow, I'm getting some serious growth from the base and I can see new branches starting to shoot off everywhere. The green pocillopora frag I saved is also doing really well. After trimming off the dead pieces with the dremel the cuts have already healed over, no signs of new growth though. The toadstool leather coral has also had its first shed over the last few days and has come back looking more vibrant and happier then ever. It should be getting more then adequate flow so I'm fairly certain the shed wasn't due to poor conditions. Lately I have also had an explosion of coraline growth all over my rocks and I'm loving it, really adding another dimension of colour to the tank.

Nothing else to report this week, no LFS visit scheduled for the next fortnight either :(. I still haven't received my new power supply for my Osmolator Nano so I still have to top off by hand but I have the mount modified and everything else ready to go :D.

Hmm, I didn't see my Rainsfords Gobie tonight, needless to say I am a little worried. Mum said he was out and about this afternoon and I checked to see if he had jumped with no luck. So either he is in hiding or the nem/torch got him.

Boo...I hope he turns up!!!!! Any sightings yet?

I have been at work all day so I don't know. I didn't see him in the tank this morning befor ethe lights came on but he usually sleeps in the rock work. I'll see if he is present when I get home.

Well no sign of the Rainsfords Gobie so I guess he is gone :(. I find it hard to believe he jumped, he was always out and about and was never skittish around the other tank mates. He just minded his own business and spent his days grazing. Now I need to start looking for a new fish. Purchase another Rainsfords or perhaps something else? Perhaps a Dwarf Angel?

Oh, no :( Did he eat well? I have had a couple gobies not eat very much and disappear among the rocks.

I think he ate pretty well, he wasn't interested in any of the food I fed the tank but he was always grazing the rocks. When I got him he was fairly skinny, he was getting wuite plump before the disapearance.

I remember buying a reinfords and it wouldn't eat. And then it disappeared in a week. I have no idea where it went, no sign of its body anywhere.

That is odd, I have heard of fish just dissapearing before but I didn't think it would happen after such a period of success.

Sorry :(

I'm dealing with fish troubles right now myself. It really depresses me.

Thanks, yeah I hate losing fish. I can understand if they jump but just disappearing is weird.

I will be taking sugestions for a replacement though so fire away if you have any ideas.

I've had my possum wrasse (yellow banded) for about 3 years now. One of my favorites for sure. Always hovering all over the rockwork and buzzing around the tank, great little fish with good personality. Very shy to begin with, about a month in before I saw him more than a few seconds. Now he and the Kole Tang are best buds!

-Just went through your light bracket portion of the thread, nice job!

Here he is when I had my BC29 going.

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/jack1978/media/BC29-PokiethePossumWrasse.jpg.html'>BC29-PokiethePossumWrasse.jpg

I've had my possum wrasse (yellow banded) for about 3 years now. One of my favorites for sure. Always hovering all over the rockwork and buzzing around the tank, great little fish with good personality. Very shy to begin with, about a month in before I saw him more than a few seconds. Now he and the Kole Tang are best buds!

-Just went through your light bracket portion of the thread, nice job!

Here he is when I had my BC29 going.

BC29-PokiethePossumWrasse.jpg

I have been condidering the Possum as an option, I don't know what the local price would be though. They look like a pretty cool fish and have a calm nature which is nice. I'll look into it.

Bummer on the Rainsford's man! Hope he resurfaces for ya! They are pretty delicate fish in general imo.

Hows everything doing?

Cheers buddy, so do I, was a really cool fish to watch.

Everything is going well, SPS is growing well and I am getting some great colours. Still considering a clam as an option, not 100% commited yet though. Hows things with you mate? Your tanks are lookign great, nots of nice new pieces coming in :).

To my amazement, looks who surfaced at the start my the dusk sequence:

spev.jpg

I still have no idea where he was hiding but I am glad he is still here :). He wasn't out for long though, I don't know if it was due to the light cycle ramping down or if im not going to see him for the next few days again.

I still have no idea where he was hiding but I am glad he is still here :). He wasn't out for long though, I don't know if it was due to the light cycle ramping down or if im not going to see him for the next few days again.

Is he eating and spitting rocks? If so, try mixing some food (algae based) with some rocks and placing them in a wide cup or dish where he might be fooled into eating. I think this worked for mine, he filtered some sand from the cup which was mixed with a lot of flake food.

You'll need algae and some unscraped ugly areas for him to survive IMO. I am horrid at cleaning glass, and I keep the left side of my 46 unscraped. Lots of food for him to pick at. I was worried sick about mine for a month, but his stomach slowly fattened up and he's been healthy ever since.

Is he eating and spitting rocks? If so, try mixing some food (algae based) with some rocks and placing them in a wide cup or dish where he might be fooled into eating. I think this worked for mine, he filtered some sand from the cup which was mixed with a lot of flake food.

You'll need algae and some unscraped ugly areas for him to survive IMO. I am horrid at cleaning glass, and I keep the left side of my 46 unscraped. Lots of food for him to pick at. I was worried sick about mine for a month, but his stomach slowly fattened up and he's been healthy ever since.

Yeah he is eating and spitting rocks, filtering sand as well. I'll try mixing some foods in for him and see if he goes for it. I have a fair few pods multiplying at the back of the tank and I have never cleaned the rear glass and it has a nice green sheen to it haha.

Mine has definitely gotten fatter since I first got him but I admit his stomach still has the little kink in it.

Thanks for the advice Mark, I'll try a few things and let you all know how it goes.

That's great news!!!! I had great fish news today too. :)

I like Mark's idea for tricking your fish into eating some prepared foods. I hope it works for you!!!!

Thanks Gena :). I'll give Mark's idea a try tonight when I get home from work. I have some nori that I might throw into the mix as well and see how he responds. I might also easy up on the gravel vaccing when I do my water change, I'll skip it this week and see how he responds overall.

spev.jpg

DUDE!! That's awesome news! He's a :ninja:

Glad you didn't lose all hope! Great to hear your growth and colors on your sticks are looking good! You'll have to take some close up shots of them starting to branch out and all the encrusting on the bases!

DUDE!! That's awesome news! He's a :ninja:

Glad you didn't lose all hope! Great to hear your growth and colors on your sticks are looking good! You'll have to take some close up shots of them starting to branch out and all the encrusting on the bases!

Yeah he is pretty :ninja: haha. I'm glad he is still around, didn't see him today though. I took Mark's advice and buried in some crushed Spectrum pellets into the top layer of the sand in the places of the tank he most usually feeds. I also did the same with a bit of Nori. Worst case the hermits will tear the Nori to shreds haha. I will definitely get some pics of the SPS encrusting and branching. I want to give the tank a good clean before the next photo shoot :).

Man this tank has come such a long way since January! Nice work.

Good news on the fish appearing!

Thanks man :). Yeah it has come a long way, I won the battle with the algae and everything is starting the look the way I want it to. I really want to get this media reactor set up but I just don't have the time to make the pump mount right now. I think that after I do that the water quality will increase immensely, then I will be willing to try a clam :).

Archived