Top Shelf Aquatics

RollaJase's 30G Custom Cube - Tank Torn Down

RollaJase

Good news - it was my test kits and GFO that arrived.

Bad news - I ran a full battery of tests (took over an hour getting used to the kits) and everything is slightly out of whack.

Here is what everything tested at.

Temp - 25-26c

Salinity - 0.0126

pH - 8-8.2

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrate - 5ppm

Nitrite - 0.05ppm

Alk - 6dKH (tested twice each with the Red Sea Pro and Standard Alk tester)

Mag - 1160ppm

Calcium - 350ppm

It looks like my tank is still getting knocked around due to what I suspect was the death of the Rainsfords Goby in the rock work. My Alk, Mag and Cal are just under normal minimums. I believe the low readings are due to the algae growth and the what I am assuming is high phosphate level. At least this explains why my SPS haven't been overly happy lately. Once I get this reactor switched out to GFO I'll have to test everything again after a few days and see where it all stands.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wooo, 2 days, 2 parcels. Just had a call from mum while at work, looks like the sound deadening arrived today, hopefully I can get it installed this weekend.

Lately I have been toying with upgrading my Tunze 6015. I love the pump but 1) I think it is too powerful and 2) I don't believe it provides adequate random flow. I have considered getting a second one but flow would be too great and I cant control them. I have looked into getting a pair of Tunze 6045 and this is an enticing option. I have looked into getting Hydor DC pumps with controllers and these are just too expensive for me over here, about on par with the Tunze DC range (i'd prefer the Tunze options anyway). I looked at getting two lower powered pumps (about 1000Gp/h), such as the Sicce Voyager Nano but I can't get these locally and would really like to control them. Another option is a MP10, by far these are the most stupidly expensive pumps I have seen locally though, $330 for the ES and $380 for the wES before factoring in freight. Plus it would appear that the ones in Aus tend to need the wetside replaced yearly as they burn out (just what I have heard).

Too be honest the MP10 does look like it may be be the winner if I decide to upgrade, getting two Tunze 6045's are going to set me back roughly $300 anyway, plus I cant reduce the flow as low as a single MP10.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

The more I think about it and the more I try to talk myself out of it the MP10 looks like the best option. Better yet, I also found out that the power pack is 110-240v compatible so I may be able to do some grey market importing and get myself a bargain before Christmas if I decide to go down this route.

The EcoTech calculator is telling me that 1 MP10 run between 1/3 and 2/3 power will be ideal for my tank. The only real concern I have is the noise that some users say these pumps can get.

On another note the sound deadening I ordered in fits perfectly. Time to clean out the inside of the stand and I can install it all :).

Congrats on getting all the new reef goodies. Good decision on the MP10, you wont be disappointed with the quality, controlibilty and sleek look of it all. I have two over a year old and the noise is not noticeable on mine. Unless your a foot or so away from the pump and than its a very slight noise. But really non issue imo.

Congrats on getting all the new reef goodies. Good decision on the MP10, you wont be disappointed with the quality, controlibilty and sleek look of it all. I have two over a year old and the noise is not noticeable on mine. Unless your a foot or so away from the pump and than its a very slight noise. But really non issue imo.

After great deliberation I'm pretty set on the MP10 as I really want to make a pulsing/crossflow water column. I also have an issue with my Tunze irritating my anemone and making it go stringy and potentially blending it, I hope being able to move the pump higher up the water column and closer to the center of the tank will help with this. I'll still hang onto the Tunze, I'll use it when I upgrade my tank and need extra flow.

I really can't afford to buy one locally though, $350 shipped is a bit much to swallow for me, that's what my AI Sol cost! I'll try to find a ES or wES on the hardware forum and see if the seller is willing to ship to Aus.

Now that my sound deadening has arrived I can get my stand support brackets fitted and the sound deadening installed. I will probably do this over the next week or so.

After great deliberation I'm pretty set on the MP10 as I really want to make a pulsing/crossflow water column.

It took me a couple years to pull the trigger....it's worth it. All of the coral never looked better.

I did another round of water tests today after changing about 20% of my total water volume.

Here is what everything tested at.

Temp - 25-26c

Salinity - 0.0126

pH - 8

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrate - 5ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Alk - 7dKH

Mag - 1400ppm

Cal - 380-400ppm

I'll test everything again next Friday to see how things change over the 7 day period.

I also got the GFO in the reactor. AquaMaxx recommend 1 gram per gallon so I'd need about 30 to treat my tank. I decided to use 20grams for the first dose so I didn't shock everything. I am having a difficult time getting the right flow rate through the reactor. I am finding that some of the GFO will boil and churn correctly but some other parts don't move at all. I believe I know how to remedy this with a minor modification to the central intake tube in the reactor. I'll fiddle with this when I swap out the media next.

It took me a couple years to pull the trigger....it's worth it. All of the coral never looked better.

I always told myself I would never spend that amount of money on a single pump, then again I said the same about my lighting fixtures haha. Still, I'll only buy one if I can get one sent over from the states, IMO that would make it worth while. Some stores over here sell the MP10wES for $400 in store, the cheapest I have found it was for $350 shipped online. Ultimately I wouldn't want to spend any more then $250 shipped for a second hand one or even $300 shipped if I could find one new on sale.

I haven't seen the Citron goby today and the black goby has taken over his crib, hmmm. I checked for signs of jumping and cant see any, I have added a netting to the top of the tank so it is next to impossible for anything to jump through. Maybe it is hiding? Maybe the anemone or torch got it? I'm hoping it has just hidden away :( .

They can be stealthy little fishes and hide for quite a while. Just when you've givin up on them, they pop out of a rock. One of mine did that for two weeks and one day he just popped back up at feeding time.

They can be stealthy little fishes and hide for quite a while. Just when you've givin up on them, they pop out of a rock. One of mine did that for two weeks and one day he just popped back up at feeding time.

Yeah I hope your right buddy, the Citron was the one I really wanted to get, the black clown was just a bonus at the time. I remember my green clown disappearing for a few days as well when I first introduced it, I hope this is a similar situation.

On another note I found a forum member willing to ship an MP10 to Australia :D. With the crappy exchange rate PayPal offers it will cost slightly more than I wanted to spent but still will total about 70% of what I would pay buying locally. Now I just need to order an acrylic shroud for it and I will be set, pretty sure I have seen those locally though.

Yeah I hope your right buddy, the Citron was the one I really wanted to get, the black clown was just a bonus at the time. I remember my green clown disappearing for a few days as well when I first introduced it, I hope this is a similar situation.

I'm sure hell resurface fingerscrossed

On another note I found a forum member willing to ship an MP10 to Australia :D. With the crappy exchange rate PayPal offers it will cost slightly more than I wanted to spent but still will total about 70% of what I would pay buying locally. Now I just need to order an acrylic shroud for it and I will be set, pretty sure I have seen those locally though.

:naughtydance:

That's exactly what i have. You'll love it! I wish they made em in black though, so the algae wouldn't be so noticeable. I have to remove and clean mine weekly if i want it to stay clear.

That's exactly what i have. You'll love it! I wish they made em in black though, so the algae wouldn't be so noticeable. I have to remove and clean mine weekly if i want it to stay clear.

I noticed you were using one. Do they work well? Currently I have a foam around my Tunze that I have to clean weekly, I found it helps filter the water a bit plus stops the nem getting blended. I'll just replace that weekly pump maintenance with cleaning the guard haha. I am hoping I will be able to get the pump mounted closer to the surface and away from the nem (hoping it will finally settle down a little) while also providing some more direct flow for the SPS.

They work great. Because my tanks rimless, and most my SPS is higher up in my tank. I have it 4-5 inches from the top of the waterline. There's no other way this MP10 could be up that high with out a guard.

Yeah that is true. I'll probably be mounting my pump at a similar depth. My tank is 18" tall and the SPS are the highest point of my tank besides the leather coral that sits slightly higher. I am really hoping that the better water flow will help keep the detritus up in the water column, I know that I have a couple pockets of dead flow currently which doesn't help things. Every time I blast my rocks with a turkey baster there is quite a bit that always blows off. The situation has gotten worse since the removal of my sump as well. Once I get that sorted I hope I can have a more stable environment for my reef. Pretty much the only thing left that I need to source is some locline pieces, a second reactor, the glass, some acrylic and the acrylic solvent. Everything else I have stashed away ready to go.

MP10ES purchased and on the way. A local online store was running them out for $310 with $7.50 freight as they 'couldn't sell them'. Yeah I wouldn't have paid the original list of $440 either haha. I'm trying to buy the acrylic shield now but everything I check out the online payment system crashes :(. Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow.

Minor update.

My MP10 has been charged to my credit card but no shipping confirmation yet, I might give the store a call this afternoon. I'm also having trouble trying to purchase the acrylic shield for the pump. THe checkout keeps crashing when I process the payment, the store also wont answer my emails. I will probably email Pico Aquariums and see if they don't mind sending me one direct from the US. I have to act quick though otherwise there is no chance I'll have it by Christmas.

I installed some reinforcing brackets in my stand last night, this will provide added strength when I remove the shelve to fit in the new sump. I also partially installed the sound deadening so I can take some final measurements for the sump. I also ordered a heap of bits and pieces for some LED lighting and some cabinet fans that I will be installing. Not to mention some smaller things to make cable management a little easier.

Minor update.

My MP10 has been charged to my credit card but no shipping confirmation yet, I might give the store a call this afternoon. I'm also having trouble trying to purchase the acrylic shield for the pump. THe checkout keeps crashing when I process the payment, the store also wont answer my emails. I will probably call Pico Aquariums and see if they don't mind sending me one direct from the US. I have to act quick though otherwise there is no chance I'll have it by Christmas.

I installed some reinforcing brackets in my stand last night, this will provide added strength when I remove the shelf to fit in the new sump. I also partially installed the sound deadening so I can take some final measurements for the sump. I also ordered a heap of bits and pieces for some LED lighting and some cabinet fans that I will be installing. Not to mention some smaller things to make cable management a little easier.

I like minor changes..... they all add up to a huge improvement!

I like minor changes..... they all add up to a huge improvement!

Yeah slowely but surely, I'm hoping this sump update will greately improve the health of my tank. My first and largest concern however is noise so I am trying to design everything to be as quiet as possible.

Did the goby show up?

If you can't order direct from Pico Aquariums, maybe someone is selling one on eBay and ships Int'l. Just a thought. Sounds like you will be busy tinkering quite soon. :)

Did the goby show up?

If you can't order direct from Pico Aquariums, maybe someone is selling one on eBay and ships Int'l. Just a thought. Sounds like you will be busy tinkering quite soon. :)

No the Citron still hasn't shown up :(. The Black clown is being very friendly though, likes to sit on the glass and watch me. The clowns also don't seem to mind it either.

I have checked eBay and haven't had any luck. I 'll have to try looking specifically on eBay US and see if I have any better luck. I am hoping to have everything I need by Christmas so I can get the sump installed in the two weeks break I have over the Christmas/New Years period. I can get the glass for the sump locally but they aren't open weekends so I might have to send my brother down to get it cut for me.

Sold a few things on eBay the past week so decided to order a second reactor for my new sump. As with the original I ordered another from forum member fizzy (David) from the UK, can't wait for it to arrive :).

Sorry! At least you still have the black goby.

So Pico Aquariums won't ship the shield to you? Wouldn't be the cheapest route, but if you cover all the costs, I'd be more than happy to ship one to you.

Sorry! At least you still have the black goby.

So Pico Aquariums won't ship the shield to you? Wouldn't be the cheapest route, but if you cover all the costs, I'd be more than happy to ship one to you.

Hi Gena, thanks for the offer. I have sent PicO an email and haven't heard back just yet. Their website is down until the Black Friday sales (Thursday 29th Nov) apparently. I would be more than happy to cover the costs to get one shipped here. I got a postage quote to get an MP10 sent over from the US and that was $40 through USPS so I am hoping that a piece of acrylic should be considerably less. I'll wait and see if PicO get back to me a the start of the week, I'm hoping these will come on sale further during Black Friday (they were on sale for $25 before the site went down).

Archived