Top Shelf Aquatics

RollaJase's 30G Custom Cube - Tank Torn Down

RollaJase

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wrasse harassment has gotten to the stage where it wont let the firefish leave its burrow anymore. I managed to distract it enough today to shoot some brine into the firefish's burrow during feeding time. I made sure the firefish got some food because he turned around in his burrow and poked his head out ready for the second squirt. I will be making a fish trap tomorrow to see if I can catch the wrasse (I'll try netting it first), I have a breeder box large enough for him to sit in for a day or so before I can get to the LFS.

I really like that little reactor.

Thanks, I am really impressed with the build quality, much better then the TLF ones IMO. If your interested hit fizzy up via PM, he makes them all by hand and I'm sure he can make one to suit your needs :D.

Really cool tank and I love the light hanger

Thank you, I am quite proud of how that turned out, was pretty easy to make as well.

Attempt 1 at catching the wrasse with a bottle trap = failure. It's Sunday afternoon here right now, I think I'll starve the tank until tuesday and try again.

Jason 1, Wrasse 0, Aquarium -1000

Well I managed to catch that wrasse today......after completely ripping my tank apart. I tried the bottle trap, tried netting him and in the end it was my only option. And you better believe he was in the last rock I pulled out. When I had the rocks out I noticed a ton of detritus in the water and the sand. I knew I would kick myself later if I didn't do it so I gravel vacced the entire top layer of sand and mixed a 50% water change (after already doing a 10% earlier today).

So now I'm sitting here, cloudy tank, pissed off corals and a partially completed scape. I think I will end up removing about 1/3 of the rock I had and go for a triple tower/mound design for increased water flow to keep detritus suspended for the skimmer. It will also give me better access to the sand bed for maintenance.

So here is what things look like now:

http://img822.imageshack.us/i/wlh8.jpg/'>wlh8.jpg

And the b*****d wrasse:

http://img5.imageshack.us/i/3fi4.jpg/'>3fi4.jpg

Wrasse will spend the night in the breeder box overnight and tomorrow afternoon he will be going back to the LFS.

Just tested my levels. Ammonia and Nitrate seem to be up slightly, just. I will feed the fish as they are starving and monitor the levels overnight.

Awww, poor wrasse. :lol:

He was a nice fish with plenty of personality but when he started having a go at my clowns and bullying my firefish he had overstayed his welcome. I actually think the new scape would have helped with the bullying a bit, a little more open and more places to hide but I don't want to take the chance.

Good job man! Now trade him in for a Rainfords G :D

I'll be taking him in this morning, the Rainsfords will be a special order though.

Well the LFS was nice enough to do a straight swap for a Rainsfords Gobie for me, I'll have to wait for it to arrive next week some time. While I was at it I also ordered a Citron Gobie and when I go to collect I may also pick up a little red starfish.

As for the new scape, I'll be trying a few things over the next few days to try and get my waterflow and space for corals right. I have always fought with my Tunze 6015 being too much flow for a tank of my dimensions, this has become more evident when I tore down the scape. My elegance coral and my hammer aren't too happy with the current flow, I'll either be moving them to a different part of the tank or try to make a rocky outcrop for them to sit under.

Anyone have any tips for slowing down a Tunze?

I also finally got a new job, I start Monday. I pretty much spent first weeks pay in advance buying a few suits but I have been eying off a Tunze Osmolator Nano as I have been topping off daily by hand since I removed the sump. I have been thinking of making my own twin float top off system (would cost me 1/3 the cost of the nano) but I don't think I can be bothered haha.

So I have sorted out the new scape. Tons more random flow compared to the original scape and it gives me more room for corals :D. Everything seems to be doing well so far but the anemone keeps moving a little closer to the powerhead which I don't like. I moved him slightly into better flow and I think he is happy for now. The pictures don't do the amount of rock used justice. I kept all original rock and added a few extra new pieces as stabilizers for the new piles.

Here is how it all looks. Keep in mind the zoa rock in the center will go and the corals haven't been placed yet.

fyri.jpg

ka6w.jpg

syw3.jpg

http://img600.imageshack.us/i/ihg7.jpg/'>ihg7.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/i/e68c.jpg/'>e68c.jpg

http://img189.imageshack.us/i/a7j5.jpg/'>a7j5.jpg

I think it looks much better then the original but would love to hear your feedback.

I like it! Any new coral stocking ideas?

I like the new scape! :)

Awesome new tank pictures. :)

Thank you all.

As far as stocking goes I am going to stick with the original plan I had, this scape just means I can fit in a lot more haha. The tall rock on the left will remain the mushie rock with room for some SPS at the top (perhaps a monti cap?). The low rock at the very front will have the mushies removed and placed on the mushie rock, this will become the new zoa/paly garden. The rock on the right will house LPS corals (I really want to get a frogspawn and a hammer to go with the torch), the plateau on the top will be for SPS. The anemone mound at the back I'm not sure what to do with. I would like to get a few low growing corals to put on the base, maybe some more zoas? I would really like to incorporate some xenia and a leather coral somewhere. Once I move what I have around I'll have a better idea of where I can put things.

Any suggestions would be great :D.

Archived