inTank Media Baskets

My 20-Gallon (Tall) Softie/lps Nano-Reef!

Fishgirl2393

Fishgirl2393

Tank is still doing well. I removed a rock that was in the back because it blocked the water flow and had some pests (aiptasia and lots of hair algae) on it. The corals look good and my nitrates are about 3ppm (I'm very happy with this!). My phosphates are still showing 0.00 (salifert) but I know that the algae that is remaining is just sucking it out. I'm still waiting on the lawnmower blenny but hopefully in a few days, I'll have it. I will try to post pictures tomorrow (can't today).

Fishgirl2393

Will be FINALLY picking up my lawnmower blenny today. I will get to pick from 3 that are in the store. :) Probably will go into quarantine but we'll see. My LFS runs copper in the fish system to keep parasites out.

Fishgirl2393

Lawnmower blenny is in quarantine right now. He/she looks fine (and it was really hard for me to put it in quarantine because of this, even though I knew I should) and if everything still looks good after a couple of days, I'll probably move him/her. They're not "pretty" fish (in the normal way) but they are such cool fish (I've had one before but it's been a long time and I had forgotten how neat they are). 20-gallon tank looks good!

Fishgirl2393

Just put lawnmower blenny into the main tank. Already has staked out a hole to dart into when "danger" is near! Corals look good and my zoas are adding new ones (especially the ones with green) frequently now and are about to attach to the rock it looks like.

Fishgirl2393

Tank still looks good. Lawnmower blenny is seemingly established in the tank now and is so funny in the way it behaves. It has been munching away at algae too! I will try to post pictures later but with classes off and on throughout the day, I'm not sure if I'll be able to or not.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Fishgirl2393

I need to clean the glass (at least, the front) and take some pictures soon. My fish are both doing well. I feed the tank with frozen food a couple of times a week now and everything in there likes it. I need to try to get rid of some pesky aiptasia again (they're ones that are in hard to get to places). Tank looks pretty good though. And best part is that I haven't had to do much work on it lately! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Fishgirl2393

Tank's doing good. I am going to be having to move it before/by the end of July. I know it is a long way off but I am trying to work on a plan for how to do this best. The move is only about 5 miles so it shouldn't be down for too long. Since it is such a short move, I'm wondering if it would be possible to keep the sand. My sandbed is really shallow (less than an inch) but I don't know if this would work or not.

Fishgirl2393

Did a water change (a small 1 gallon one) last night. Everything looks good and I have less algae than before I added the lawnmower blenny.

Fishgirl2393

I just bought a (highly discounted) green acan from the LFS. The reason it was highly discounted ($5) is because it has been struggling for a few weeks (I've been watching) and has receded in certain areas. I know that it is not sick and just needs some TLC (which I can provide) like food and an iodine dip (which has been done). Hopefully once it gets acclimated, it will do well. I'll post a pic once it opens a bit more.

Fishgirl2393

The new green acan looks better today already. Other than the areas that are seemingly gone (and have been for a while), the other areas are puffy. I hope it gets better because it really is pretty. I put it in the little cup so that the hermit crabs leave it alone (they have a tendency to try to pull food out of my other LPS corals) while it recovers.

post-50769-0-93974700-1429291340_thumb.jpg

Fishgirl2393

I did a water change tonight (because to make recovery faster with the new acan I have to feed) and fed the acan too. It is very responsive to food so that is very good. It just needs some TLC!

Pinner Reef

hey fish girl! Looks like things are cruising along pretty well in here. Glad to see you're doing well with the Acan and the lawnmower is getting to work...

FTS Plz ;)

• Like 1
Fishgirl2393

I promised! They're not great, but they're pictures! I will get better ones soon.
post-50769-0-99729800-1429476995_thumb.jpg
Here is my acan (red one) that I've had for a while.
post-50769-0-51785600-1429477037_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Fishgirl2393

That little acan is much puffier and looks better already! I am so glad I got it (it had NOT been doing well because it fell into the sand, got damaged, didn't get fed, and probably had a bit of a bacterial infection from the damage). It will be nice once it recovers fully. I've been feeding it every day almost and it responds well. Tank is doing well and I'll try to post pics soon (though I'm busy with classes so it may be a day or two). I got some cool nighttime pics (moonlight pics) finally!

Fishgirl2393

I am astounded by how fast this acan has gotten better. I guess it just needed lower light/food/iodine dip/TLC! I'll try to post pics at some point this weekend if I can. My blasto is still not doing as well as I'd like it to (a couple of polyps have receded since I got it a while back) and I don't know why. My only guesses are too much light/flow (I've adjusted its placement), a sting (the only coral near it are clove polyps though so not sure about this one) or something similar. Any suggestions about cause? Some of the polyps on the back have new polyps coming out but the ones on the front (two of them) have receded and the last one receded the rest of the way today (it was almost gone before but it finished up). I iodine dipped it today (I have done this in the past as well) and noticed a TON (15-20) brittle stars come off in the dip. Don't know if they could have bothered the coral or not (also don't know how to keep them off). The blasto is in the sand FIY.

Fishgirl2393

I think you have a bigger problem than your blasto. You need to get rid of that Aiptasia - and fast. It's already spreading across your rockwork and pretty large.

I agree the aiptasia need to go and I've been trying but they haven't spread really (no new ones), just gotten big. I want them gone, trust me. I just can't seem to kill them with lemon juice. Suggestions? But seriously, the blasto kinda irritates me so if you (or anyone else) have any suggestions, that would be fantastic.
Pinner Reef

I don't think the brittle stars are the problem with your blastos. Otherwise they would be all over the other corals as well. They might be feeding off the decaying flesh. If the clove is close by it could be Neurotoxin. See if it does better in the new spot after a few days. I'd say wait until further recession before panicing further.

• Like 1
Fishgirl2393

Thanks. It is on the side where the clove polyps are so it may be that. I need suggestions on how to get rid of aiptasia because lemon juice (injected) doesn't work for me (I tried it earlier today and the stupid things are back out already!). Preferably something that is simple and easy (and not too expensive!).

Fishgirl2393

I just got done injecting aiptasia with kalk (really Kent ProBuffer dKH) and hopefully it works. I did get ONE the other day with lemon juice but I hit it again with kalk just to be sure. Hopefully I got at least a few. I'll update in a few days about that. The green acan looks SO much better but I don't know if I should remove it from the little cup yet (I don't want my hermit crabs to injure it). The blasto looks about the same but I'm watching really closely because I don't want to lose anymore polyps.

• 1 month later...
Fishgirl2393

So the blasto is still slowly having problems. I've lost one more head since the last update on the coral. It is spreading from head to head it seems. It is NOT BJD (I know what that looks like). I am thinking of fragging it (since the damage is in the center of the colony, this might prevent it from spreading is my thinking) tonight when I get off work. Any suggestions would be helpful. The parameters are good (nitrate approx. 7ppm, calcium 430ppm, alk 8-8.5dKH, phosphate 0.05 approx) and the other LPS (acans) are doing well. Lights are the same (4x24watt T5HO) as is the rest of the set up.