Cultivated Reef

My 20-Gallon (Tall) Softie/lps Nano-Reef!

Fishgirl2393

I just did a water change (2 gallons with distilled water, as usual) and discovered that my hammer coral is splitting (has 2 mouths and is more elongate). In addition, all other corals look great! Will post pics soon (hopefully tomorrow).

• Like 1

I just did a water change (2 gallons with distilled water, as usual) and discovered that my hammer coral is splitting (has 2 mouths and is more elongate). In addition, all other corals look great! Will post pics soon (hopefully tomorrow).

Hooray for pics!

• Like 1

As promised, here are some pics. Some of the corals are not fully open right now (were fed and are partially closed now) but oh well. I will try to get a picture of my starry blenny as soon as I can (he is shy). My next "project" is to get rid of the aiptasia in the tank (they have not spread but obviously haven't gone away either) but I wanted to get rid of the dinoflagellates first (which I seem to have done now).

Here is the tank (with Calypso visible but not van Gogh)

post-50769-0-80418700-1479258174_thumb.jpg

Here is my gorgonian, which is doing well(this is the rock with some hair algae although it is getting better)

post-50769-0-28397100-1479257839.jpg

Here is the hammer (you can't really tell right now but it has two mouths and is starting to split)

post-50769-0-30635100-1479257863.jpg

Here is my micromussa (it is doing great)

post-50769-0-64301900-1479257888.jpg

The tank is not very stocked right now and I am deciding what "way" I want to go with it. It has mostly softies (kenya trees, zoas, clove polyps, mushrooms, gorgonian, etc.) and LPS (hammer, micromussa, acan, etc.) and I am considering going this route but also having some macroalgae as well (and more gorgonians, mushrooms, etc.).

• 4 weeks later...

Update: The tank is still doing well and still NO DINOFLAGELLATES (thank goodness)! Both fish are doing well. I've been trying to get a good picture of my very shy starry blenny, Van Gogh, but he is not cooperating! Corals are doing well also. I'm still dosing peroxide (not every day though) and things are looking good. The hair algae is almost gone now (only tiny areas instead of the one rock that was pretty badly affected before).

• 5 months later...
Fishgirl2393

Wow. It has been a long time since I posted. Here's an update. The tank is doing great!!! Coralline algae has been growing more (all on the glass and starting to grow on the rock) and the corals are doing well too. No Dino's at all since I got them to go away (when I posted about that). Fish are both doing well.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Fishgirl2393 said:

Wow. It has been a long time since I posted. Here's an update. The tank is doing great!!! Coralline algae has been growing more (all on the glass and starting to grow on the rock) and the corals are doing well too. No Dino's at all since I got them to go away (when I posted about that). Fish are both doing well.

Wonderful update, the only thing that could make it better would be pics!!!

Fishgirl2393
On 5/23/2017 at 4:39 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Wonderful update, the only thing that could make it better would be pics!!!

I'll get on that as soon as I can. About to take a vacay and also getting ready to begin veterinary school but I'll post pics ASAP.

• Like 1