SaltCritters.com

.: Shaner014's 11.4 | New Photo's! :.

shaner014

Oh I see it in the back now! That's the one i have as well; works great and is built like a brick.

I would guess brown algae. Do you stir the sand bed every now and then, or just let it be? I know when i went on my business trip a while back, I didn't touch the tank for two weeks (nothing live in it at that time) and there was soooo much brown. I figure it's algae as my TSB is munching away at it now.

How do you get the glass right at the edge of the sand? I'm trying to figure out the best way without sticking my whole arm in the tank :lol:

I stir every day. Yea. Shit is resilient. I am going to try a blackout I think soon, It is extremely light sensitive.

I run the duplex right through the top of the sand, though my sand does have some magnetic particulate and I sometimes pick it up. If it was a fancier tank, I would be elbow deep. I have a scratch or two, but I got over it. More reason to upgrade come winter. :)

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stir every day. Yea. Shit is resilient. I am going to try a blackout I think soon, It is extremely light sensitive.

I run the duplex right through the top of the sand, though my sand does have some magnetic particulate and I sometimes pick it up. If it was a fancier tank, I would be elbow deep. I have a scratch or two, but I got over it. More reason to upgrade come winter. :)

Just cleaning moine today I got maybe 1/2cm from the sand, then got too scared to continue :P I have been using these little white square 'Algae Pads' which are safe for acrylic as well (overflows in my case) and they work great - But then again have to have my damn hands in the tank :closedeyes:

What lens did you use for the last shot BTW? Magnificent!

Just cleaning moine today I got maybe 1/2cm from the sand, then got too scared to continue :P I have been using these little white square 'Algae Pads' which are safe for acrylic as well (overflows in my case) and they work great - But then again have to have my damn hands in the tank :closedeyes:

What lens did you use for the last shot BTW? Magnificent!

I think it was the 50 1.8 handheld, that or the 18-55 kit. Only two I have :D The bokeh makes me think nifty fifty though.

I think it was the 50 1.8 handheld, that or the 18-55 kit. Only two I have :D The bokeh makes me think nifty fifty though.

Those are the exact same two lenses I have as well :lol: I'm gonna have to try more with the 50mm.

Those are the exact same two lenses I have as well :lol: I'm gonna have to try more with the 50mm.

I got a cheap (10$) magnifying filter kit for it. Though this shot was just the lens, they do have potential if I ever break out my (dusty too!!) tripod haha.

I got a cheap (10$) magnifying filter kit for it. Though this shot was just the lens, they do have potential if I ever break out my (dusty too!!) tripod haha.

I was looking at those a while back! They seem to do a nice job. I bought some of the reverse lens mounts from ebay (only $1.69!) and they do a nice job, but you have to get very close to your subject, so if it isn't a few inches from the glass, it will be blurry. Can't go wrong for the price though. Even for a few shots it's worth it.

Do you have any shots with the magnifying filters?

I was looking at those a while back! They seem to do a nice job. I bought some of the reverse lens mounts from ebay (only $1.69!) and they do a nice job, but you have to get very close to your subject, so if it isn't a few inches from the glass, it will be blurry. Can't go wrong for the price though. Even for a few shots it's worth it.

Do you have any shots with the magnifying filters?

I don't, my hand isn't steady enough to get a sharp one. And the proximity thing is the same story, that's the downfall. I have yet to use them outside of a quick try for the tank. I tried the reverse 50 trick too! Very neat but didn't spend enough time to get it dialed.

I got the Yongnuo 560 III recently (before price jumped $60 dollars) so I have been toying with flash shots.

8753291631_19f1c562f1_c.jpg

Lens cap is a little OOF, and angle is slightly off, but these are fun.

Wow looks great. I think I may go with an extension tube set next. I'm just gonna wait for a sale :D That and a proper flash - but that will be later.

Went to the Buffalo Zoo. Came away with a few good shots (to me anyways). I liked the dramatic feel of this one.

Looks like he's concentrating pretty hard. :lol: I love Zoo pics. MOAR!!!

Thanks :D Just curious. Are these all with one lens, or did you swap glass while you were there?

I started with the nifty, but quickly found I needed the zoom lens to get anything I liked composition wise (I didn't have time to setup the shots) I think all three of those were the kit lens.

I started with the nifty, but quickly found I needed the zoom lens to get anything I liked composition wise (I didn't have time to setup the shots) I think all three of those were the kit lens.

Ya this makes me sad. I need more practice. *sigh*

Ya this makes me sad. I need more practice. *sigh*

I've been addicted. I try to shoot something at least every other day. I have gotten better for sure (except of my tank ha!) but I have a long way to go.

Your shots are all great!

BattleAthletics

Went to the Buffalo Zoo. Came away with a few good shots (to me anyways). I liked the dramatic feel of this one.

8845665053_0b40700332_b.jpg
Gorilla by ShaneOhMac, on Flickr

For what its worth, it reminded me of this.

jr39dt.jpg

How do you like the 50 f/1.8? I snagged the F/1.4 and love it.

It's a fun focal length for sure, and the bokeh is awesome. I will probably trade up to the 1.4 eventually.

Really nice zoo pictures, the textures are very vivid.

Thanks Kat!

Love the monti mounted on the overflow :D.

Thanks! Though it will likely have to be trimmed soon, I don't want it to shade too much!

The colors! The colors!

Great shots :D

Thanks. I got a few frags for cheap from a local, inspired me to snap a few!

• 5 months later...

Archived