Innovative Marine Aquariums

F'n Ich.... dosing copper in QT

jack1978

Well, after 3 or 4 years I finally f'd myself and tank :angry: by introducing ich via no quarantine system in place. I lost most of my fish while trying to find a reef safe alternative. Spent more money on "snake oil" than the cost of a quarantine system....and lost more fish while treating with said snake oil.

I finally ripped apart my scape and corals in order to catch the lone survivors and transfer into quarantine tonight/this morning.

As of now they have heat, circulation, 1/3 old tank water and 2/3 fresh salt water, and pvc fittings for hiding. I'll be going the copper route and was wondering how long I should run copper and how fast do I bring the copper levels up in the qt?

Thanks for the input,

Jack

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Follow the directions on the bottle of Cupramine (do not use any other form of copper).

Thanks Ben. I had Cupramine in my hand at the LFS and got something else on their recommendation. I'll take it back tomorrow and exchange it. I'll start copper treatment tomorrow.

cupramine or coppersafe, follow directions, I would leave them in the hospital/qt for at least 6 weeks to let it die out of the dt

Ya, definitely waiting the six weeks. There is no way I'm gutting my tank again to get the fish out. Lesson learned, QUARANTINE!

jedimasterben
Thanks Ben. I had Cupramine in my hand at the LFS and got something else on their recommendation. I'll take it back tomorrow and exchange it. I'll start copper treatment tomorrow.

Ya, definitely waiting the six weeks. There is no way I'm gutting my tank again to get the fish out. Lesson learned, QUARANTINE!

Exactly. I learned my lesson, twice, before starting to QT everything, but something still made it through. :(

you could also just get a copper test kit and use pennies.

Exactly. I learned my lesson, twice, before starting to QT everything, but something still made it through. :(

I remember when it used to be relaxing -_-

Oh well, at least I can start placing corals in a permanent scape ....I'd been putting it off with the inevitable in sight. And I finally soldered up the other half of my LEDs.

Hmmm.... I have a test kit, but would worry about the time release of the pennies vs. immediate testability of the Cupermine. Interesting though. You ever tried it?

jedimasterben
Hmmm.... I have a test kit, but would worry about the time release of the pennies vs. immediate testability of the Cupermine. Interesting though. You ever tried it?

Cupramine is significantly better than any other form of copper - even scaleless fish can be treated, whereas all other forms of copper will kill them.

Cupramine is significantly better than any other form of copper - even scaleless fish can be treated, whereas all other forms of copper will kill them.

Thanks Ben. I'll pick up the Cupramine today. Lost my Hawk Fish this morning, showed zero signs of ich....think maybe just the switch of tanks? No copper has been added yet.

They don't have to show outward signs to be infected. check this out for more info on marine ich: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-d...yths-facts.html

I read that a few weeks back, great info. Just surprised me a bit as this guy never showed a sign at all....figured others that at one time looked like poodles would have gone first. Hope the last few can make it.

Thanks again

Started first day of copper treatment (Cupramine). Took me a few days to find an LFS around here that had it on the shelf. Started with a 50% wc as I have no filtration running except a power head with foam filter that was ran in the existing tank for a few days. Added the starting dose and now wait 48hrs and apply the second.

Keeping the fingers crossed that the rest make it.

Thanks to everyone for the help, especially jmb.

-Will the one 14 day treatment be enough?

Jack

-Will the one 14 day treatment be enough?

Jack

On paper it should be. ( QT everything for at least 30 days, and I've had some Tangs in QT for nearly two months to make sure there is nothing on them.

If you've set up a QT tank you should take a look at my sponsor thread - "I want to give you $20". Might be worth it. ;)

On paper it should be. ( QT everything for at least 30 days, and I've had some Tangs in QT for nearly two months to make sure there is nothing on them.

If you've set up a QT tank you should take a look at my sponsor thread - "I want to give you $20". Might be worth it. ;)

Thanks for the heads up. Ya, I'll check that out. Read through it when you started it and forgot about it....thanks for the reminder!

jedimasterben
No highjacking intended here, but if I haven't Qt'd any fish I have added before, is there a point in doing it now?

from now on, yes. all the fish up to this point are infected and should be treated, so your tank (after the 8 week fallow period) should be clean after treatment.

Even Mandarins?

i have a mandarin in 0.5ppm right now. it is the only fish that never stopped eating.

That's the final dosage level of Cupramine, right? How long has the mandarin been in there?

2 weeks at .5ppm, and anothertwo at .25ppm

Ok, it's become obvious that my mandarin is in need of some medical attention. I'm gonna move her into a QT and start slowly with Cupramine, since you're having luck with it (and Seachem says it can be used on Sharks and Rays).

Here's another Q for you, what else do you have in the Mandarin's QT? Just PVC for shelter? I was thinking about using some Tahitian Moon Sand that I have here. Thinking my mandarin would appreciate being able to bury herself and that it wouldn't interfere with (absorb) Cupramine, since it's a silica(?) sand. What do you think?

jedimasterben
Ok, it's become obvious that my mandarin is in need of some medical attention. I'm gonna move her into a QT and start slowly with Cupramine, since you're having luck with it (and Seachem says it can be used on Sharks and Rays).

Here's another Q for you, what else do you have in the Mandarin's QT? Just PVC for shelter? I was thinking about using some Tahitian Moon Sand that I have here. Thinking my mandarin would appreciate being able to bury herself and that it wouldn't interfere with (absorb) Cupramine, since it's a silica(?) sand. What do you think?

Are you sure it has ich?

And yep, just a bunch of PVC. I had some chaeto full of pods in there from when I started QT and make sure everyone was eating before starting treatment, but I removed it.

No sand, where did you hear that mandarins bury themselves? Only some wrasses do that.

20 pennies to the gallon ? The old trick Zeph ... not sure it that would still work since there seems to be so little copper in pennies nowadays that I am not sure that it would work

FWIW

Archived