ReefCleaners.org

Veng's 20L - Black Friday Madness!

Veng

I've got an unknown HH scallop that's been chilling at the base of my yellow polys since I removed him from the bottom of my maze.

20130221_201927_zps47e5a483.jpg

Oh, and tailes, here's your plate he pulled tenticles in when I moved him for a photo:

20130221_201631_zpsb1995ca7.jpg

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't tell my wife, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go buy a coral or two tomorrow. This tank needs some color and it's going to be a while till those birdsnest recover. No idea what I'm going to buy, but whatever tickles my fancy tomorrow. Probably something stoney, but doesn't have to be on the sand bed, and something that isn't on a plug or can be unplugged. Whatever it is, it'll be BRIGHT.

I also need to get my 405nm LEDs installed. Can't do it tomorrow, but maybe I can finish that project on monday? That sounds like a plan!

pretty sure wife knows... hehehe

Why did you tell my wife!?!??!!?!? How am I suppose to sleep with you if my wife knows about my coral purchases! Next thing you know, you'll tell her about our love child, you traitor!

Why did you tell my wife!?!??!!?!? How am I suppose to sleep with you if my wife knows about my coral purchases! Next thing you know, you'll tell her about our love child, you traitor!

I didn't say the wife was unhappy about the coral purchases or the love child. She can share. ;)

Dude, all in all, things look pretty darn good in there.

I'd still consider putting some sand in there for all the good biological reasons. :)

I've considered it. It's so easy to suck up detritus during water changes with the bare bottom though.

I think I'd drive myself nuts with a bare bottom tank. Wanting it to be spotless all the time. :)

Sand gives me a little leeway in that department. W-

It's not spotless for sure. What generally happens is it all collects in some of the "dead" spots in the tank. At least anything that's large enough to fall to the bottom before getting sucked into the filter sock.

Polarcollision

Because the super glue doesn't have to fill a gap. Glues are very weak when they have to fill gaps. They really need to be compressed while they set to have any real strength after they dry. When you have to fill a gap, then you can't get the compression needed to achieve a high strength bond.

That makes sense. I was just globbing it on really thick and then swirling it around on the rock until it broke the water film and stuck. The more you know... :-)

IC gel is AWFUL! use anything but that. BRS glue works great, Stevie T is fine, Coral Affix is fine, the loctite from HD is fine too.

Stevie T's sandwich method using reef safe 2 part epoxy putty + superglue gel is the best way to go.

I bought this before I saw your reply: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EUG7WU

Ran downstairs and bought crazy glue gel (all they had) from the grocery store to reglue the acan frag back in place. I had some two-part epoxy, I think instant ocean brand, and sandwiched it in between the superglue. Just used a tiny bit, maybe the size of a lima bean and smooshed it down good into the rocks. Does that sound like the right amount?

I just want a pretty tank. It doesn't help that the people who got me into this hobby think this is what a tank is suppose to look like:

3793800933_7888ae2afc.jpg

I almost spit out my drink when I saw this! LOL

And OMG I *LOVE* salad.

Hi Tailes! Nice to meed you! Congrats on the little Tang!

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/276463_700b.jpg

Ok, so I didn't buy the mandy, no matter how much I wanted to.

I came home instead with 2 sexy shrimp, an acro frag, and an unknown, that I think is a baby fungi plate. However, fate is against me today.

Evidently the guy who scooped out the sexy shrimp managed to bang up the legs of one of the sexy shrimp and it couldn't even right it's self in the bag.

The Acro I got, I promptly managed to drop the bag as I was walking inside and of course, the acro frag is now two frags. It looks like it fragged it's self in a reasonable way, but we'll see if both sides heal.

I'll grab pictures after stuff opens up.

Oh, and I saw some amazing blue hornets today, however they wanted 50$/polyp for individuals or 160$ for a 4 polyp group. That place is crazy on their zoa prices. I know blue hornets aren't cheap, but they aren't 50$ per polyp either.

Ok, so I didn't buy the mandy, no matter how much I wanted to.

I came home instead with 2 sexy shrimp, an acro frag, and an unknown, that I think is a baby fungi plate. However, fate is against me today.

Evidently the guy who scooped out the sexy shrimp managed to bang up the legs of one of the sexy shrimp and it couldn't even right it's self in the bag.

The Acro I got, I promptly managed to drop the bag as I was walking inside and of course, the acro frag is now two frags. It looks like it fragged it's self in a reasonable way, but we'll see if both sides heal.

I'll grab pictures after stuff opens up.

Oh, and I saw some amazing blue hornets today, however they wanted 50$/polyp for individuals or 160$ for a 4 polyp group. That place is crazy on their zoa prices. I know blue hornets aren't cheap, but they aren't 50$ per polyp either.

Where'd you go?

Where'd you go?

Today I went by:

Exotic Aquatics - For the most part, over priced and algae covered. Lots of pink fuzz on their stuff. They did have a LOT of clams there today though, some at reasonable prices. Didn't buy anything.

Plano Pets - Still don't have salt water set back up, quickly left.

Neptune's Cove - Where I got the acro & baby fungi for 55$, total. They also have the over priced Zoas.

Aquatic Design - Where I got the Sexies on a whim. Had been thinking about getting them a while, but hadn't done it, they had them for 10$ so I did. Not too much else interesting there.

I did not go by aquatic trading as I had been there last week. I would HIGHLY recommend checking them out if you haven't. They are the premier SPS LFS in dallas IMHO. It's small, shop, but it's the place to go if you are looking for SPS colonies they've easily got the most I think.

Oh, and check out their Gigas and nautiluses while you're there.

Archived