SaltCritters.com

Mark's 40B and 46 bow

markalot

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I am trying to find out if the monti pictured below is Chili Pepper (encrusting) or Seasons Greetings (plating). The guy I bought it from did not say (I have a PM to him) but when I bought it he asked if I wanted the piece mounted or not.

I remember receiving two small chips and both have grown but slowly, and no plating yet. This coral seems to prefer low light because it bleaches easily. The piece in the 40 is under the big birdsnest and has great color.

0ips.jpg

46 FTS. Colors have gotten worse over the last month or so, not sure why. I may have increased the light too much when I added the milli.

kbov.jpg

Look at this wall Frogspawn trying to sting something. I like the way it looks but I've moved it all the way to the side and it still might be able to reach another coral. The bastard.

rhk1.jpg

I am trying to figure out what this red worm is. It's slowly, over days, creeping up the rock. Oh, and it appears I do have flatworms in this tank ... just can't see them unless super close up.

2jn5.jpg

That's a YouPaidTooMuch IGrowSlow cyphastrea on top.

The 46 gallon bowfront is doomed, it just doesn't kmow it yet. Debating over the following.

JBJ Rimless 30G AIO

IM 38G AIO

Both of these tanks come with glass lids (a house rule for me) and will fit my 24" BML fixtures.

Anyway this will go down sometime in the next month or so. The plan is to keep the clowns, anemone, and Blenny while selling or donating the Tang and Purple terror. We shall see.

Dammit.

These damn colorless stylos are killig me. 46 KH down to 6.5 while calcium at 340. I should have known once the damn things started showing growth I was in trouble.

40B KH rock solid at 8.3 (last 2 months between 8 and 8.6). Calcium low at 380.

20 low alk and calcium which was another surprise. Teeny tiny sps frags, but I did notice coraline is starting to spread rapidly.

So, slow corrections being applied to all taks over the next few days. Boy, having 3 tanks is a great idea! I do like the variety and I think it helps compress the experience a bit (get more in less time), but it can get tedious.

The 46 gallon bowfront is doomed, it just doesn't kmow it yet. Debating over the following.

JBJ Rimless 30G AIO

IM 38G AIO

Both of these tanks come with glass lids (a house rule for me) and will fit my 24" BML fixtures.

Anyway this will go down sometime in the next month or so. The plan is to keep the clowns, anemone, and Blenny while selling or donating the Tang and Purple terror. We shall see.

Taking it down? IMO, the JBJ rimless looks really cool. I can't wait to see what happens with your tank Mark.

Taking it down? IMO, the JBJ rimless looks really cool. I can't wait to see what happens with your tank Mark.

More like moving and discarding anything I don't want or doesn't fit. I've had the wifes permission for months now but I keep delaying it. I'm still not 100% decided. Typical me. I make management decisions all day at work, but at home my work brain turns off ... apparently. :)

I will rescape the 40 this evening, including a delicate BTA move to a new spot, so we'll see how well that works out. I'm hoping it likes the rock it's in more than particular location. I'll find out.

Double up on the 40's! :D

I know right, but I want the height of the 46 with a consistent width and flat front, and less water volume. Physically impossible I believe. :D

The new JBJ 45G all in one would work for this as well, but the price of it bothers me. I do not have the time or inclination to do any customization ... so ... here I am.

Ahhh gotcha...personally i'm not a fan of height but yeah. Yep, probably custom tankage if you want a 'perfect' fit. I'm just not a fan of AIO's.

So, all this talk of tearing down the 46 made me buy some more corals for it. :| Only tank I can keep acros in at the moment, and a big ORA shipment came in at the LFS. I missed Red Planet by 5 minutes but snagged Rose Milli and Plum Crazy. In addition, after seeing the ORA green stylo they had (with green tips and ugly polyps) I threw mine out. Bye bye, see you later. I chopped the top off my Rainbow Stylo and remounted because it's showing hints of color, but I don't want to feed the whole thing. Ugly business, throwing away corals.

Bowfront snapshot quality pics.

osg9.jpg

z8l4.jpg

Rescaped the right side of the 46. I did not move the anemone, he looked too comfy in his spot.

j7vh.jpg

In the 40, I noticed my mag cleaner was rapidly growing algae, so I moved it to the cleanup position. THis is why I don;t get rid of my thin stripes.

5 minutes after moving it down.

e3j3.jpg

1 hour later. NOM

k0c6.jpg

I need to make a ladder so they can climb up to the algae growing near the water line. :D

I took a couple of boring videos the other day and forgot to post them. Like this thread needs more things to look at! :)

Anyway, this is a video just showing flow in the 40. I have an MP10 and WP 25 providing variable current. I really have no idea if this is enough or not. I always think I need more flow.

This next one was to show flow on some corals closer to the front.

I like think stripes, they're hard working. Not sure where to get more though, I only have one.

Reef Cleaners used to sell them. I got these by accident in an order of blue legs. Teeny little things, but boy did they grow up fast. I have a bag of Ebay shells just for them.

So I tried and failed to crash my 40 again, apparently. :wacko:

Calcium running low, 360, and not able to raise it with extra 2 part for calcium. No big deal, I have this bottle of Seachem Reef Calcium, I'll just try it and see what happens. 3 cap fulls ... bam, everything closes up. Duncans looks stunned, disk still out but polyps contracted. Frogspawn looks similar. WTF.

Well, Seachem Reef Calcium is some kind of goop that is supposed to provide calcium but not really add calcium. The idea appears to be ideologically similar to their Excel product (carbon source) for freshwater ... find a chemical that will allow plants / corals to uptake what they need.

It took 2 hours but everything started to return to normal and this morning all looks ok. Alk did rise though, now 9.3 instead of the stable 8.3 I was running at. If you read around for opinions on Seachem Calcium or the ingredient, polygluconate complexed calcium, you will find all kinds of interesting concerns and observations.

In my opinion, this is a mislabeled product and while it might work well, damn dangerous to those expecting to add simple calcium to their tank.

Skimmer cup is almost full this morning after being nearly empty last night. This is probably due to a bacterial bloom that this supplement can cause when heavily dosed. Fun fun.

I can't help but wonder what this is going to do to actual calcium, nitrate, and phosphate levels in the tank, along with KH of course.

24 hours after the industrial chemical spill in the 40, KH is 8.8, calcium holding at 360. Theoretically, if Seachem is to be believed, my calcium usage should drop to near 0 while the corals absorb whatever muck is in the Reef Calcium mixture. If that's true then I should be able to raise it up via extra 2 part.

Latest FTS of the 40. Lost some color in the fron monti, but everything else holding steady. Still a long way to go with coloration IMO.

1iji.jpg

FTS of the 46. Colors holding or improving, and having another bubble algae outbreak. Will clean BA off both WP25's this evening which should being my flow back up to where I want it. Silly tree Duncans closed up when I turned the pumps off. They hate change.

blbs.jpg

Archived