Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

*Update* Video of male Blue Spotted Jawfish flashing (finally!)

Miss Nano

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Official update as of October 18, 2012.

Not much to update yet...but here's what I have so far!

Nice and fortuitous that you were able to capture those pictures so you could post them for us to see.

I like it !

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

*UPDATE*

My male just recently began flashing (bright white and black)!

They are in a 40 gallon breeder with a 5 inch sand bed (which is deeper in some areas) and lots of chunky rubble.

I'm actually in the midst of moving, so I think I may be officially listing these guys on ebay since the bf agreed to be the one responsible for packing them. I'm hoping I can relocate them to someone who is interested in pursuing this project!

That's awesome! Thanks for the update.

I've always liked these fish but I've never liked the price, thus I've never kept them.

As more events like this occurr hopefully they can be captive bred which would be good for fish like these that are popular. It would both reduce the environmental burden of taking these fish from the reefs and also would hopefully reduce their prices over time.

As you mentioned I would hope that they go to a knowledgeable breeder who can really utilize this special pair of jawfish.

If you have two jawfish in there, they will do this regularly since they've done it once. Jawfish can be captive bred because of how they are mouth brooders. They will raise the eggs themselves in their mouths, I forget the rest. You could actually be able to raise baby CB BSJ.

Yes the Male carries them in his mouth for a number of days ... it's when he lets go of them that you have to watch out so other fish don't gobble them up.

These guys are officially now on ebay. Here's to hoping their new guardian is a member of this forum and will post pictures of their progress.

I will be sad to see them go. :(

Archived