Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

*Update* Video of male Blue Spotted Jawfish flashing (finally!)

Miss Nano

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, I wish I could help you out on how to raise them. I'm sure someone here can. Good luck with hatching and rearing the young. I do think you'll maybe have to remove the eggs and set up another tank with sponge filters and such and cultivate some sort of food for them.

So, my boyfriend came home today and spotted this....

dscn2052kq.jpg

dscn2051w.jpg

Wow! I don't think there's a successful rearing of blue spotted jawfish to date. Hopefully, the eggs are fertile!

Courtesy of yours truly...

dscn2056s.jpg

Prospective future father?

dscn2057i.jpg

Just thought I'd share!

If you have two jawfish in there, they will do this regularly since they've done it once. Jawfish can be captive bred because of how they are mouth brooders. They will raise the eggs themselves in their mouths, I forget the rest. You could actually be able to raise baby CB BSJ.

• Like 1
If you have two jawfish in there, they will do this regularly since they've done it once. Jawfish can be captive bred because of how they are mouth brooders. They will raise the eggs themselves in their mouths, I forget the rest. You could actually be able to raise baby CB BSJ.

I hope so. I've never heard of anyone successful with blue spotted jawfish. PLEASE put me first on your waiting list if you have success with this.

So do they sleep and burrow together? How close to tr burrow did she lay? Was t aware they where mouth breeders. That could be good news.

They don't burrow or sleep together. Although, from what I've researched; the male is suppose to sleep with the female during the night when the magic happens! They have a lot of underground tunnels, so it's kind of difficult to tell when this occurred.

Right now, the male is still too young to hold the eggs. He's not even full grown yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Official update as of October 18, 2012.

Not much to update yet...but here's what I have so far!

Another egg mass as of October 18!

Here's the male trying to fit the eggs in his mouth. He didn't seem as interested in them as he was last time though! :( I'm sure that'll change once he's sexually mature!

jeremiaheggmouth.jpg

Here's the male looking at the eggs

jeremiahlookingeggs.jpg

jeremiaheggs2.jpg

Here's the egg batch

secondeggbatch.jpg

secondeggbatch2.jpg

Here he is making faces. :-P

jeremiahface.jpg

And here he is dancing for his woman:

jeremiahdance.jpg

jeremiahdance1.jpg

jeremiahdance2.jpg

jeremiahdance3.jpg

Lastly, here's the female saying "take my eggs you baish!" :)

lucydance.jpg

lucyface.jpg

I haven't witnessed either of them sharing a burrow. They do have underground tunnels, but I still think

that they are not quite at that stage yet. The male is exhibiting breeding behavior similar to other video's

I've seen, but he's not quite flashing....yet! I really do need a microscope, but given his age (and size)

I'm pretty sure that the eggs aren't fertile. I guess I'll just keep fattening him up until he hits puberty, ha!

Super awesome! Thanks for the update. Let us know when he starts holding them and fertilizing. Good luck with this. Out me on your waiting list please.

Archived