Cultivated Reef

Red Sea Candy AquaVase Combo

RP Beesh

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nudibranch

I'm currently running the stock 7W light on mine, its actually a 7200K lamp. It's got a fairly nice color rendition. I bought the 13W Galaxy but I've been unable to get it to sit properly on the tank, the base of the galaxy is metal (a design flaw IMO) so you can't/shouldn't attach it to the tank.

Even still your talking about a 7W lamp over a ~.5g - .75g tank that's only 5.5" tall. You're running 11-14 w/g (I know, I know, its not a good way to judge light intesity and blah blah blah). I would be pretty surprised if that wouldn't be enough for pretty much ANY coral. IMO it would not be good for a Clam or Anemone and considering the size of the tank it wouldn't be a good idea ANYWAY.

I will eventually be upgrading to a 1X5W White Luxeon w/ 4X1W Blue Luxeons either reg blue or royal blue (I'll have to find the nm rating of them before I decide that). I should be getting a 85mcd moonlight LED (465nm peak 470nm typ) in the mail soon so I'll have a moon light on it as well.

Nudibranch

Royal Blue Luxeon LED are 455nm and reg Blue Luxeon LEDs are 470nm, so I'll more than likely be using the 4X1W Royal Blue luxeon.

On a side note, I'll also be adding a drip system for top off. No I'm not lazy, I'm loosing 6oz of water/day (which is a lot in this tank ~15%) so I'm hoping to stabilize this. Just a simple system w/ airline and an "air" regulater should be fine, just like the ones in LPSs for chamaeleons.

Well we just setup his tank (lol, if you can call it that) today in his apartment. We just stuck a basic Ikea desk lamp over it for now. I had some sand left over from my 38g, so I gave him some, and make him some new salt water for now. Its pretty cloudy and all, but it should clear up. Gave him a thermometer as well, so we can see what the temp is like over the next 2 weeks. One tiny peice of LR as well, which we'll get him some more.

I gotta admit however, the setup is just so cool, that I'm gonna get one for myself. My 38g is really nice, but its downstairs, and I spent a ton of time in my room/computer, so I figured I'd setup a one here. I'll probably end up giving him my light (I'll probably buy the whole kit) and I'll rig up my own LED setup.

i do a 20% watcerchange weekly on mine,i just syphon out with a small piece of air line tubing and go.

-Chris

Nudibranch

Should be fine. Unless you can figure something out with it, the reflector will be useless. That is if you are going to use the covering it comes with. I think making a mini pendant for a 13W lamp would be the best option + you can take advantage of the better reflector.

that is what i was thinking of doing. Would the double 13w be too much light over that tank? Or am i reading the website wrong?

Nudibranch

Personally I would spending the extra $8 and get two of the 1 x 13watt Deluxe Bright Kit with the MIRO 4 reflector (8"L x 3"W x 1.5"H). Retrofit those into a DIY hanging pendant. Would be nice light.

from ahsupply.com. Which combo of bulbs would you recomend? I will probably be putting two of the 13w delux bright kits side by side and i really don't have a grasp on the ins and outs of lighting. thanks for the help.

Nudibranch

I'd get two red bulbs...LOL j/k!

If it were me, I would get the 10000K/"Deep Blue" 03 (aka actinic) combo bulbs. Item # 11319. Because I like the way 10000K and Actinic look. You could, however, do a 6400K and Actinic 03, or 2X10000K. It's all about your preferance. A 6400K will apear to be yellowish, but a deep blue will balance that out to appear whitish. A 10000k will appear more white and the blue will add a blue tint (obviously) to the water and IMO make the colors stand out a little more.

I recomended the combo (aka 50/50) bulb because it help make the light apear more uniform than having a really white side and bluer side with a mix inbetween. Granted on this size tank the chances of you noticing this is slim but for the extra $1 why not?

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing. Aside from the look of it, the 10000k/deepblue combo bulbs will help to promote growth correct?

Nudibranch

In theory a 6500K will support faster growth than a 10K (this is from what I've read on various posts), but a 10K will support growth.

Originally posted by cjm033

imo i would rather have better color come out of my corals than faster growth

Especially in so small a tank.

so true. I also wanted to make sure i would be providing for their needs. For those of you with this tank, how much does it evaporate?

Nudibranch

I loose ~6oz/day. I figuredthis out because I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to fill my tank (most days) and it's been pretty consistent around 3 of them. I do live in AZ though so that might play a large rolein that.

Regardless that's ~ 1g/3weeks. I'm seriously considering an auto-top off drip system. I just havn't had the time as of yet to make one.

PS: I'm looking for a better way to control flow in air tubing that an air flow vavle. give me your ideas.

I wouldn't recommend a fish, although I've heard of some people trying a cleaner goby. I don't know about the success rate with that endevor though.

As far as a shrimp goes. I don't see a huge problem with putting a sexy or two, or a pepermint shrimp in the tank but, I've had my a-- chewed out on another forum for considering the option. On the other hand no one is upset because I have a blue leg hermit in the tank. Feels like a double standard to me.

IMHO, I wouldn't try a shrimp if there wasn't another larger tank that they could be put in if problems arise.

another cheap lighting option is get a screw-in curly-Q lightbulb from HD (6500k for $7 i think) and screw it into one of those silver bell clip on reflectors they sell there. Under $20 and a great light.

• 3 weeks later...

would 2 of those 13w lights be too much for a 3/4g? that seems like an awful lot over that little of water, but who knows. i'm just wondering because i'm getting one of these and i think i might build a little hood using the reflector and ballast on ahsupply.com like someone mentioned earlier. i just dont know if when making it i should use 1 or 2 bulbs.

i think i might build in a moon light also, hehe....now for just finding the right wood.

Archived