Cultivated Reef

Red Sea Candy AquaVase Combo

RP Beesh

i just got the Red Sea Candy AquaVase Combo and i convert the lighting to a 13 50/50. what can i put in this small tank? how would i heat this thing

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got zoanthids,briarium,scleronepthya,discosoma,gorgonian,montipora,and some different algae in mine(no fish.) I heat it with a heater made for plastic land hermit crab tanks. It sticks on the bottom like a reptile tank heater. It's made by FMR and in a 76 degree room it keeps it between 77-80 degrees.

what would your recomand for this tank a bare bottom? because i will only have zoos and shroom. and maybe planing to grow zoos on the bottom and just place a little LR in the middle. what your think?

Nudibranch

Here is a pic of the same style tank w/ 1/2lb of LS and about the same in LR. Personally I like the sand effect but you don't have to have one. I'll be setting one of these up pretty soon myself. BTW this is not my tank, the owner of this tank is the one who got me interested in this type of set up.

Here's mine! Been running for 3-4 weeks now....

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=pico

As for live stock, I have some xenia, palythoa, zoo'z, star polyps, actinodiscus, rhodactis, ricordia, 2 astrea snails, 4 tiny blue leg hermits, and one kick ass tiny emerald crab.

I'd recommend matt's light mod, you get better light penetration. I cover my tank, but leave the cover off the HOB for areation.

For the record, these softies are growing better here than they did in my 5.5ga!

Maintanence: 100mL DI every 3-4 days, 25% w/c once a month...thats it!

i cut down the hieght of the light stand and convert it to a 13 watt with 50/50 bulb. i would show it to your but can't find my camera. hahahha. i also made a auto topoff for it so i don't have to top it off myself with a float switch.

Nudibranch

Did the 13W fit in fine or did you have to make any special modifications? Does the balast it comes with support the 13W? Did you have to make any hardware additions for the light other than trimming it down like some others have suggested?

Originally posted by Nudibranch

Did the 13W fit in fine or did you have to make any special modifications?  Does the balast it comes with support the 13W?  Did you have to make any hardware additions for the light other than trimming it down like some others have suggested?

i did alittle mod. i drill about a 1/2 inch in dimature on the light fiture so i would be able to fight the 13 watt 50/50 bulb and got a 13watt ballast. trim down the stand.

Nudibranch

Would a 9W mini-might light fit in there ok? I would probably do 2X9W.

Also to lower the light did you just cut and splice?

Unless they make a shorter 13w bulb I don't see how it would fit in the Dragonfly fixture. The ballast will support a 9w but it will not fit in the fixture either.

sry about the quilty this is my sis camera phone. this is my side of my tank.

4316side.jpg

this is my front got some mushroom but waiting on GSP for my bare floor

4316front1.jpg

this is the top

4316top.jpg

showphoto.php?photo=683&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=500

lid mod

4316cover.jpg

without lid

4316bulbnocover.jpg

lid mod with 13 watt 50/50 blub

4316blubcover-med.jpg

i picked one of these tanks up today at petco. not sure what i want to do with it though. i might do a pico reef, but i don't know if i want the hassle and time away from my 16g reef. maybe i'll just stick my betta in it.

Nudibranch

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE PIX!!! That makes it look a lot easier than I imagined (who knows what I was thinking I don't lol). I'll definitely do a 13W 50/50. Where did you get the ballast/bulb? LFS or someplace online?

• 2 weeks later...

My sisters fiance bit the bug, and now wants to get a saltwater tank. He's actually wanted one for a while, but has a really small apartment. Anyways, we dropped by Petco today, and found one of these units for $10 bucks!! Only thing is was missing was the light, but the tank and filter was in the box (a steal at $10).

All he really wants is a red hermit (he LOVES them ever after seeing mine). I figure I'll give him some sand and a peice of rock from my tank for it. A few questions:

1) What to use to heat it? His apartment is generally quite warm.

2) Since no light came with it, what do you recommend we use for it? If there is going to be ANYTHING else than the hermit, would be one or two snails, and some xenia from my tank. Anything cheap we can get to setup as lighting?

Thanks!

Nudibranch

a Galaxy 13W lamp would be nice but you could also buy the lamp it was supposed to come with. Sooner or later I will be experimenting on mine with Luxeon LEDs.

Originally posted by Nudibranch

a Galaxy 13W lamp would be nice but you could also buy the lamp it was supposed to come with.  Sooner or later I will be experimenting on mine with Luxeon LEDs.

Yup, if it was myself, I would of tested it with LED, but he's not much of a DIY.

The cheapest light that I've found that could work with it, is $24.99cdn, which is 7w. There is a more expensive one (which looks like the one it came with, which is $37.99cdn, but its also 7w. Is the 7w enough for what he wants?

Archived