SaltCritters.com

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Yeah, to run a low-nutrient system with high alk needs a LOT more light, flow, and feeding than would be considered 'normal', add in that corals really don't like alk shifts all that much. :/

I am not really sure my system counts as low nutrient though? I've become disenchanted with the idea of ULNS and want to run my tank a little dirty with import matching export.

Can you explain what you mean by a lot more light, flow, and feeding? I have the radion at 80%, I have the mp40 and mp10 at 50%, and I feed 2 cubes of mysis/brine/rods food daily with zeovit additives added when I feel like it.

jedimasterben

I am not really sure my system counts as low nutrient though? I've become disenchanted with the idea of ULNS and want to run my tank a little dirty with import matching export.

The biopellets will basically adjust to your nutrient input and keep the system in low-nutrient or nearly to it.

Can you explain what you mean by a lot more light, flow, and feeding? I have the radion at 80%, I have the mp40 and mp10 at 50%, and I feed 2 cubes of mysis/brine/rods food daily with zeovit additives added when I feel like it.

The Blu Coral method is what I'm referring to, basically just much higher protein foods would be all you're missing IMHO. The tanks under that method usually run in the 12-14dKh range.

Uh oh! What did your temperature get down to? (what temperature do you run your house at?)

Apex says that the temp was at it's lowest right now at 75.3. I am not sure what happened. Since it is Santa Barbara, I do not need to turn on the heat during the winter; It is 68 outside right now and I have all the windows open. :D

edit: Yup, it's the heater. The internal thermostat is shot on it. The heater itself is set to heat the tank to 80, but it is turning itself off at a tank temp of 76.6.

• Like 1

Sorry about the troubles!!!! Seems like it's always the heater at fault.

Nice day today, huh???? I've got the windows open too. :)

Happy Thanksgiving. :D

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! It was a very nice day for November. It will be getting COLD tonight though. I found a friend who is letting me use a 50w heater for a few days until I get my new Eheim Jager in the mail. This little 50w heater is working, but barely.

• Like 1

I have no idea what that is, but it sucks :(

My strawberry shortcake, aka A. microlados. I feel stupid for not having an extra heater around and now I have paid for it. Oh well.

My little kole tang is now eating NLS pellets avidly, so that is good. Previously, the tang was interested in only brine and a little bit of nori. It still will not eat mysis though.

• Like 1

Matt cough I mean Indy, I put a cpl ? About apex on my thread

Hey man, I posted something in your thread. If I were you, I would get the Apex lite, the ALD module with as many probes as you want, and the ecotech WXM apex module. This is the exact Apex controller setup I have for my tank and I love it. I am not left wanting more or regret getting the full Apex.

The corals are a little stressed due to a heater malfunction, but I wanted to put an update on this thread so I can track how they recover.

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

Edgar's acro on the left, GARF bonsai in the middle, and SSC on the right

IMG_2311.jpg

RP taking it's time to start growing

IMG_2312.jpg

pink lemonade coloring up well

IMG_2313.jpg

cali tort and green slimmer growing into each other

IMG_2315.jpg

joe the coral

IMG_2317.jpg

no name green tablet, red stag starting to encrust, and a teal stag I just got

IMG_2318.jpg

palmers blue recently acquired and doing very well so far

IMG_2319.jpg

steve ellis stag, much more blue in real life

IMG_2320.jpg

good ole ORA birds nest

IMG_2321.jpg

pink jade starting to encrust off the plug and coloring up slowly

IMG_2322.jpg

my halloween hermit. A very cool little guy

IMG_2298.jpg

and.... my dog wanted to be in the photo dump too

IMG_2329.jpg

• Like 13
BattleAthletics

You have one of the most amazing tanks on this site man, I cant believe ive never kept up with this tank, maybe its because of the 50 pages or so lol.

• Like 1

You have one of the most amazing tanks on this site man, I cant believe ive never kept up with this tank, maybe its because of the 50 pages or so lol.

Thanks! I don't know if it was one of the best though. Have fun reading through almost 50 pages of my ramblings lol.

Wow! It's been awhile since I've seen your tank. About 9 months or so. Your tank is amazing. Great work man!

I have a lot of reading to do.

Thanks man! Grab a drink and start reading!

For a heater failure everything looks great, I got back from a 4 day vacation, had a friend feed my tank (premeasured food) and my sps is brown, tons of cyano.

Ya, I am pretty happy. Other than losing my red dragon and having to emergency frag the SSC colony, things are pretty good. I'm hoping I saved the SSC frag... but now I have to start all over with it.

i can't believe you can keep a SSC colored up under radions. no matter how hard i tried, it stayed a pale pink. :/

When I got it, it was really pale. It seems to really like my tank. It really did not have any PE when it got it, but is now starting to show a little at night. Not much growth yet though.

When I got it, it was really pale. It seems to really like my tank. It really did not have any PE when it got it, but is now starting to show a little at night. Not much growth yet though.

mine's encrusting quickly. but it's still a very very pale pink.

Nice update, glad to see everything will make a full recovery. It is amazing how these Acro's can take a little stress once and a while if they are healthy to begin with :)

I did a stone change today and cleaned the reactor, my colours were starting to fade a bit on some corals. I'm thinking I might rearrange some of my tank, get the clippers out and do some chopping, everything is growing into each other and causing problems. I would also like to add a new Acro or two down the road, need some different SPS to look at.

• Like 1

mine's encrusting quickly. but it's still a very very pale pink.

Lucky you! I really hope mine starts to take off as a I want a really big table of this coral by this time next year! :D

Nice update, glad to see everything will make a full recovery. It is amazing how these Acro's can take a little stress once and a while if they are healthy to begin with :)

I did a stone change today and cleaned the reactor, my colours were starting to fade a bit on some corals. I'm thinking I might rearrange some of my tank, get the clippers out and do some chopping, everything is growing into each other and causing problems. I would also like to add a new Acro or two down the road, need some different SPS to look at.

chop chop chop. Too bad you can't send any clippings to me! What kind of SPS are you looking to add?

Wow! Everything looks stunning in there Indy!

^This!

Everything is looking fantastic, really nice colour on those SPS pieces.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

Lucky you! I really hope mine starts to take off as a I want a really big table of this coral by this time next year! :D

i'd rather have a colorful frag than a pale frag... :/ i dk what i' doing wrong. all the pinks seem to be suffering.

Looks great!!!! I don't see any signs of a heater mishap at all :). I searched for the Kole Tang...didn't see him. I'm reconsidering one again. I think I'm having a low nutrient issue in my tank and you said they poop a lot. I need a fish that poops a lot since I lost my midas blenny.