Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Greek NSW nano-reef story!

ALexpsycho

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes Metrokat for you and just for you I will take some pics of my DIY media rack...I use it only for carbon although it has space for many materials.

Hi Alex, i was wondering if you were able to find pictures of the DIY media rack you made?

Μy full of live rock media rack...conected with air tube for vodka dosing,... and place for pump for a GFO reactor......?

Some days ago I was upgrading it and was thinking of you...but my hands where wet and full with amphipods and couldnt get the camera...

But......on next water change I will take some pictures...together with my new maximas :P

The rack Its not something special..cheap and easy but it does the job.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow thanks for the pics, you may have given me some evil ideas..... lol

Yes you can put whatever you like there from GFO-A.Carbon to zeolith(also easy to stir them)...I use only live rock for now.Also you can connect an air tube to suply with organic carbon to the bottom...

vodka works wonders in reef aquaria.

Still I am waiting for my new additions a couple of maximas,an amphigobious rainfordi and a magnifica firefish...

Something went bad in my tank lost a couple of sps frags but all others go very well...

Some corals dont like the bio-pellets...

But soon I ll have my first colonies homegrown 100%.

How long have you been running the bio pellets? Have they been effective for you in reducing Nitrates and Phosphates?

I ve been with bio-pellets almost 10 months now.

They work very good with NO3/PO4.But there is one BIG problem.You have to keep alkalinity at NSW levels...If my alkalinity goes above 9 then some sps will RTN and others will follow.

If my tank was matured and full like yours I wouldnt start now with bio-pellets...maybe just vodka or more water changes/less feeding...better skimmer etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello.

I moved my tank in the other side of my house...summer is coming and it is very sunny here in Greece.

Small demonstration of my frags growth...

September 2012

DSC05565.jpg

December 2012

IMAG0273.jpg

and yesterday...

IMAG0244.jpg

All corals seems fine...stable parameters...last fish added a small group of 3 Anthias last month..all are fine and eating...I have 10 fish now!

Big bioload,Heavy feeding 2 times a day and Bio-pellets are back in place...

My skimmer is producing dark foam...No bacteria this time and pH 7,9-8,3,dKh 6,8-7,2 Ca 420 Mg 1320 NO3 trying to keep at 1..and PO4 undetectable.Seems that all zoantharia LPS and clam prefer some NO3 in the water...hard to keep a mix reef nowdays....

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

Cheers!

• 4 months later...

Bad news...

I ve lost all my fish due to oodinium...One after another in 20 days there was no fish left.

However all corals go like a train...I ve changed all my rock and aquascape in May....Photos soon...

I am going to wait one more month before i add new fish in the tank...

Archived