Coral Vue Hydros

Colby's 20G Mixed Reef : New FTS

hypersnyper694788

hypersnyper694788
Very nice scape, how is the arc suspended?

Thanks!

The rock work is suspended by PVC piping that runs through the rock and under the sand. like a "U" laying on its side with the bottom of the U hidden under the sand.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks!

The rock work is suspended by PVC piping that runs through the rock and under the sand. like a "U" laying on its side with the bottom of the U hidden under the sand.

Ah now I get it. I was wondering how you did that. Did you branch the pvc under the sand for extra stability, or maybe mount it to egg crate? That looks really good, next tank I setup I'm going to be doing an arch like that.

Thanks so much! I seriously stare at all day. I get inspired by all the tanks i see on here too.

PVC, no rods. i can post pics if you want.

Please post some pics of how the PVC pipes work with your aquascape. Thanks

hypersnyper694788
Please post some pics of how the PVC pipes work with your aquascape. Thanks

I will post some pics for you guys this weekend.

Thanks so much! I seriously stare at all day. I get inspired by all the tanks i see on here too.

PVC, no rods. i can post pics if you want.

Yeah if you dont mind that would be great, I just rescaped my tank and it looks alot better than it did before as I now have a few nice caves with one really large cave right in the middle that is just asking to have a sun polyp and a dendro placed in it but I would rescape my tnak in a heartbeat if I thought I could make it look as sick as your scape does

hypersnyper694788

Ok guys and gals, here are some photos of how the PVC runs through my rock work. Basically its many rocks epoxied to the PVC to make the shape. This means there are many nooks and small caves all through the rock. see below photos.

At the base looking from the left side of the tank

IMG_4908.jpg

This is the bottom left on the front of the arc

IMG_4907.jpg

This is the back side of the arc, you can't see this from the front of the tank.

IMG_4913.jpg

Here you can see where the PVC is under the sand

IMG_4909.jpg

hypersnyper694788

Debates and water testing

53b159612ab733094a621dfdd0d5606e.jpg

Your Rock Scape is amazing! It's like the Rock is floating.

Thanks very much

Sick, just Sick! Love it!

Question for you. What kinda filtration are you running? I k ow you have the AC but nothing else? How offer are you doing water changes and what is you feeding regimen? Thanks in advance for answers and inspiration.

hypersnyper694788
Sick, just Sick! Love it!

Question for you. What kinda filtration are you running? I k ow you have the AC but nothing else? How offer are you doing water changes and what is you feeding regimen? Thanks in advance for answers and inspiration.

First, thank you for the kind words.

My only filtration is an AC 50 with Rowa and Chemi-Pure. I do water changes every 3-4 weeks along with filter media. I feed the tank every other day. When I had fish it was pellet and frozen reef plankton every other feeding. I also feed the corals almost every day.

So just AC 50, 2 power heads, live rock and sand. That's really it. I try my very best to keep my parameters as consistent as possible. Even if there not perfect at the very least there not fluctuating.

hypersnyper694788

FISH!!!

Finally it's time for a fish to start the QT process. This tiny ORA Banggai will the first to enter the tank since the others all died a couple weeks back.

0f83f2a17b313e48e61e0cc9f0be7d8d.jpg

Wow great theard. That rockwork is the star of the tank. Pretty amazing that your able to maintain such good results and some awesome SPS without a sump, Kudos :)

Love your taste in corals, some really A+ pieces there. Ive never heard of Maxi Minis being able to eat fish? I have a couple in my tank, i'll have to keep a eye on em.

hypersnyper694788
Wow great theard. That rockwork is the star of the tank. Pretty amazing that your able to maintain such good results and some awesome SPS without a sump, Kudos :)

Love your taste in corals, some really A+ pieces there. Ive never heard of Maxi Minis being able to eat fish? I have a couple in my tank, i'll have to keep a eye on em.

Thanks for the compliments. I agree with you, this tank sure does thrive even with only a AC50 for filtration. Also i think the reason my Maxi has been able to eat so many fish is because of its placement. But still keep an eye out, they can get expesive quick lol.

FTS / living room shot

cd6b9aca7568682441732fff1ce3bec9.jpg

Don't tease. That is just so unfair. I am working on convincing my wife that we need a tank in the LR, and a TV above the mantle.

On another note. What do you attribute you tanks success too? Many water changes? Constant water testing? LR filtration? mdilligent cleaning? I think a mixed reef that looks as good as yours is an impressive achievement and what I am personally striving for. Please share.

Scott

hypersnyper694788
Nice.

Can I adopt your perfectly stocked living room?

lol

haha yup, all yours

Don't tease. That is just so unfair. I am working on convincing my wife that we need a tank in the LR, and a TV above the mantle.

On another note. What do you attribute you tanks success too? Many water changes? Constant water testing? LR filtration? mdilligent cleaning? I think a mixed reef that looks as good as yours is an impressive achievement and what I am personally striving for. Please share.

Scott

TV above the mantel and a reef tank, that would be one hell of a living room :D

Success :

well, this tank has been up and running for well over 2 years, it has developed to be its own ecosystem. I bought it from a LFS, it was there display for a long time. However it was a bit neglected when i got it. Since i have owned it it all SPS have grown quite a bit and everything seems more happy now then when i bought it. I do however manually dose and top off, this way there is no mechanical error. I also watch my water parameters like a hawk and keep them very consistent. Even if there not in the "perfect" numbers, they don't swing up and down. I only water change every 3 weeks or so, i change my filter media every month. I feed all the corals 2-3 times a week. Hopefully this helps, please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

edit :

i wanted to add that when i do a WC its 5 gallons. considering my tank is probably around 17 gallons or so water volume. So thats about a 30% WC every 3-4 weeks.

This has got to be one of the best and simplest setup I have ever seen. Thank you for sharing. Your tank inspired me to go reef again. :)

I really can't get over the rockscape. I've been staring at the FTS for days. :lol:

hypersnyper694788
Nice reef! I love the vimeo video...and your living room :P

Your scape is incredible. Kudos.

The scape is incredibly innovative...Thanks so much for the great idea.

This has got to be one of the best and simplest setup I have ever seen. Thank you for sharing. Your tank inspired me to go reef again. :)

I really can't get over the rockscape. I've been staring at the FTS for days. :lol:

Thank you all so much. I'm glad everybody loves it as much as i do. I will continue to update and be heavy on the pics :P

The tank will finally have fish in a week or so!!

Archived