Coral Vue Hydros

atoll

Forgive me if the following has been asked before but maybe not all in the one post?

Some authors state that you need a minimum of a 50g tank to house a clam so.

Question.

Who is keeping a clam or clams in a nano of 30gallons or less?

If so can you answer the following.

1/ What species is/are they?

maxima

2/ What size when bought?

~2in

3/ what size now.

~3.5in

4/ How long have you had it?

Almost two years

5/ What lighting do you have it under?

4x24w t5ho deep blue fixture with ATI bulbs

6/ What filtration do you use.

Ac70 fuge with cheato and ac30 with chemi pure elite and seachem matrix bio media

7/ What media do you use as in reducing nitrate and phosphate.

see above

8/ Do you add food to feed your clam.

fish poo. I use to use phyto feast and oyster feast but haven't in a long time.

9/ What water flow do you have.

Filters plus hydro 250

10/ Where do you have the clam positioned IE on the sand or on rock.

On rock half way up tank (standard ten)

Finally any other info you might think may help and I have not covered in the above?

I dose Randy's two part everyday, 15 ml each part as its mainly Sps

B53322CB-E2B3-4AFF-A2AF-C43C1DAE5857-3294-0000056E0E0C4E81.jpg

A3595C5C-F657-4A6B-B631-41566363FC7D-3294-0000056E273EFFCC.jpg

bc00f337.jpg

065C548F-995B-49FD-A1D9-E10F11D27756-3294-0000057C3EC8D956.jpg

Forgive me if the following has been asked before but maybe not all in the one post?

Some authors state that you need a minimum of a 50g tank to house a clam so.

Who is keeping a clam or clams in a nano of 30gallons or less?

False. You can have them in a 5 gallon if you wanted to. But they need good light and good water so you will have to be on top of evaporation from the light and salinity etc because that small a tank means swings happen fast and things go South very fast.

Me. I have had them in a tank as small as a 5 gallon. See Uchinhead Clam FAQ for better information.

3/ what size now.

In under a 30 I have had Crocea, Maxima, Derasa. All of them will need to be moved at some point since they can and do get very big. The largest I had was a Derasa that got to over 16". It ultimately was moved to a friend's 500 gallon system because it was so big.

The sizes varied. Most were 3" at most. The Derasa was larger. They grew easily to over 6" save for the Derasa which as noted above was 16". They will grow quickly if they are happy and so you need to keep on top of Ca and CaCO3 consumption. They were all given to friends because I took my tank down 2+ years ago due to construction on my house. Look at my old tank thread for reference.

Lighting was T5.

Filtration was active carbon, skimmer, filter pad, and water change. Remember clams do like a bit of nitrate and phosphate in the water. This is what they feed on as well as the Ca and CaCO3. See my clam faq for reference.

Flow started as MP40 then moved to Tunze wave maker. In one tank an MP10 was used. They do not like flow directed at them so make sure you are not blasting them with any direct flow. Again see the clam FAQ I wrote.

As to the position of the clam... Derasa is a sand dweller so put them on the sand. Crocea and Maxima are rock dwellers so put them on the rocks.

ILL PLAY ALONG! :D

its growing up in my 1 gallon, it'll transfer once it gets too big for its spot and another baby will replace it :D

1/ What species is/are they? maxima

2/ What size when bought? 2"

3/ what size now. a little over 2"

4/ How long have you had it? 2 weeks lol

5/ What lighting do you have it under? par30 3blue/2white

6/ What filtration do you use.AC20

7/ What media do you use as in reducing nitrate and phosphate. seagel/purigen/xenia

8/ Do you add food to feed your clam. i spot feed the lps w/ mysis and coral frenzy/ sps coral frenzy/ the clam feeds itself from the left overs

9/ What water flow do you have. ac20 on medium + 45gph pump

10/ Where do you have the clam positioned IE on the sand or on rock. bare bottom

• 2 weeks later...
Samuel L. Jackson stars in: Clams in a Nano!

"Enough is enough! I have had it with these mother-f'ing clams in this mother-f'ing nano!

Anybody care to photoshop up a box cover?

LMAO. That's gotta be one of the worst movies ever.

Im bending the rules and adding a crocea in my 12g NC which is only 1 1/2 months old pretty stocked with SPS, LPS, Soft, Nem and 2 clowns. Wish me luck!

LMAO. That's gotta be one of the worst movies ever.

Im bending the rules and adding a crocea in my 12g NC which is only 1 1/2 months old pretty stocked with SPS, LPS, Soft, Nem and 2 clowns. Wish me luck!

eh you'll be fine. mines pretty new and way tiny.

"Enough is enough! I have had it with these mother-f'ing clams in this mother-f'ing nano!

clamsinanano.jpg

I'd edit the website URL at the bottom if I weren't feeling lazy.

Tahitian Maxima

5"

3/ what size now.

~6"

1year 3months

Custom LEDs

Wet/dry and Fluval G3

Phosban and chaeto

Nothing because it's an ULNS

Vortech mp10 Reefcrest 100% (adding a second soon)

Sand

dipf.jpg

dipf.jpg

:) Zeph I must say that you really do have a good sense of humor.

BTW I have not idea what the previous poster was on about especially using expletives in his message for which I did not see the point ...

But .. what can you say right ?

Hope all is well with you as i have not seen many posts from you in the last 2 or 3 days .. maybe a lot of work, which is also needed ... and has to be taken care of.

Followed the calcium, buffer and issues your friend has and am amazed that so many have contributed and offered solutions but that the problem still does not seem to be resolved. Really odd ... I would just go with KW and drip drip drip, till the levels stabilize, while keeping an eye on the dKH and not use all those additives which I feel will make solving the problem even more difficult in the end. But that is just IMO, and I could be wrong of course.

Albert

BTW I have not idea what the previous poster was on about especially using expletives in his message for which I did not see the point ...

Albert,

It's a modified quote from the movie, "Snakes on a Plane"... Which has been sort of turned into a meme and many funny spoofs have come from that.

For example:

2572.jpg

"Clams In A Nano" seemed like a funny spoof of Snakes on a Plane... and hence the quote (the actual swear words were removed).

Albert,

It's a modified quote from the movie, "Snakes on a Plane"... Which has been sort of turned into a meme and many funny spoofs have come from that.

For example:

"Clams In A Nano" seemed like a funny spoof of Snakes on a Plane... and hence the quote (the actual swear words were removed).

Thanks islandoftiki for clarifying that for me .. guess I did not get it :0 now I do and I like the pic you posted.

Did you do that in Photoshop ?

Archived