Innovative Marine Aquariums

2.CUBE.ING

d0lph1n

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful shots man. Scapes a little minimalist for my taste, but it looks good. No one ever appreciates Toadstools, but they really are an interesting addition. At least until they get 3' wide.

I appreciate it. In few months the scape will be busier, I hope. Toadstool is becoming one of my fav. corals. I'm afraid it might get too big for my tank.

Naah, that's why we have scalpels. I found one with the neon green polyps on clearance for $5 when I first set up my new build, they seem to grow a lot slower for some odd reason.

The neon green ones look much better. The left tank has an everything but green & blue theme that's why I got the non-green Toadstool.

Naah, that's why we have scalpels. I found one with the neon green polyps on clearance for $5 when I first set up my new build, they seem to grow a lot slower for some odd reason.

Any blade shape suggestion for the scalpel?

41my086TfBL.jpg

• Like 1

I'd say any from #21 and up would work. If I remember correctly, you'll only be cutting pieces of the crown out, so a decent point and a lot of belly would be preferable.

Really nice coral shots d0lph1n

I appreciate it.

I'd say any from #21 and up would work. If I remember correctly, you'll only be cutting pieces of the crown out, so a decent point and a lot of belly would be preferable.

Cool thanks. I think I'll go with #24.

I appologize. I didin't see this post until today.

Ok, I need to check w/you on how the tanks are connected.
I'm asking because I would like to possibly try something similar.
Did you just drill two holes in the side of both tanks and use plumbing fittings to connect them?

First I took a piece of wood and aligned perfectly with the tank's margins and drilled the first 2 holes. I took the piece of wood and aligned perfectly on the 2nd tank....and used it again for the 3rd set of holes on the bookself wall between tanks. I got the saw and plumbing parts from glass-holes.com.

If so, what size did you drill the holes? Do you like how it works? How's flow between the tanks?

I don't remember the exact dimensions. The holes are over 1 inch, it might be 1 1/2 inch. I can't find the order.

At that time I did some calculations to make sure that one hole can handle the flow. One full hole (bottom) and 1/2 from the 2nd hole (i run a hose from the pump in the right tank to the left tank) can handle 200gal/h without visible water level differences between tanks. I keep the bottom hole completly open so the fish/snails/hermit crabs are using it to move between tanks.

What would you change in regards to that if you were to do it again?
Thanks for any info.

I have mixed feelings about it. It's a cool idea cuz I have 18h/day of viewing pleasure but maybe I would use much bigger tanks for my next built. Also, you have to make sure the plumbing is perfectly horizontal.

Since then, I achieved the look I was looking for. Minimum equipment and rocks in the left tank. The pump's outlet is the only equipment in the left tank. Everything else is in the right tank.

Sunset left & Sunrise right:

Daytime left :

(the right tank is in complete darknes)

Nightime right:
(the left tank is in complete darkness)

January 15

Ok, I need to check w/you on how the tanks are connected.

I'm asking because I would like to possibly try something similar.

Did you just drill two holes in the side of both tanks and use plumbing fittings to connect them? If so, what size did you drill the holes? Do you like how it works? How's flow between the tanks?

What would you change in regards to that if you were to do it again?

Thanks for any info.

I found the glass-holes order:

3/4 inch Bulkhead

1 1/2 inch Glass Cutting Holesaw

Archived