Coral Vue Hydros

Jamies 13.3g custom

Blueworld

So I got the RO/DI system done and installed and its now making some sweet pure water!

DSCF5229_zps19645f64.jpg

DSCF5230_zps84a8dad6.jpg

DSCF5231_zpsb160d331.jpg

On the way in...

DSCF5234_zps5f514dcc.jpg

On the way out...

DSCF5233_zps8057d04d.jpg

DSCF5236_zps40271466.jpg

DSCF5235_zpseb46b6b8.jpg

Now that that is out of the way I turned my attention to protecting all the electronics inside my sump cabinet. I started out by rearranging the panel a little bit then planning out the back plate.

DSCF5240_zps843a82c0.jpg

Then I put the dremel to it and took it slow to make sure that all the plugs were nice and tight

DSCF5241_zps2eaae59a.jpg

and I have to say now that its coming together it looks freaking sweet!!!

DSCF5242_zps791846ae.jpg

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today i spent most of the day taking everything I have built apart!

But dont worry it was all for a very good reason haha, so before some of you go and have a heart attack this is why I did it. Im getting pretty dam close to the last few things that need to be done and one of those final things is to clean up everything and tie it all together really nice and pretty like. So i started with a little paint

First on the return manifold

DSCF5251_zps54ae3256.jpg

Then on all three of the overflow drains

DSCF5252_zpsa50446c3.jpg

They arent done yet tomorrow i have to mask them off and paint the exposed(still white parts) flat black then I have to paint all of the conduit hangers red to match. Then they get put back into a freshly painted sump cabinet where the white and red with stainless steel screws are going to look pretty spiffy i think

heres the newly painted cabinet - no more missing paint or scratches from hundreds of bumps putting in and taking out that sump haha

DSCF5253_zps599193be.jpg

Then once I was done that I started into the wiring again, I had some wires that were bugging me and it just didn't quite look perfect so i went ahead and started to hack apart the wiring and then once i had a big mess of copper and plastic insulation i pulled out the soldering iron and got to work making it all function again

This is the UBS that connects the APEX to the Energy Bar 8 - shhhh dont tell apex i think its a warranty issue :)

DSCF5247_zpsde127a88.jpg

then i tossed some shrink wrap on it to make it look pretty and then put it back in. You can see i also did that with the internet cable between the APEX and the Netgear Wireless receiver

DSCF5248_zpse2e8ae82.jpg

Then i thought hey! lets get some light inside this box! so i started wiring up some LED strips that i picked up, the only problem is there is only one output on the controller box and i dont want to run one continuous strip all over the place, so im going to have to do some fancy wiring to get about 3-4 separate strips wired the way i want them to and all controlled with a magnetic on/off switch connected to the door of the cabinet :) as i said pretty spiffy

DSCF5243_zps9754f361.jpg

DSCF5244_zpsf134b6f6.jpg

I still have to finish building the acrylic box and get some weather stripping to makeusre that its got a pretty dam close to air tight seal as i can get but thats for another day!

Hey, I like it, I dunna know about dese other losers but your attention to detail is a good sign.

I just screwed all my electronics to the inside of my stand (sump has a cover).

With the LED's and everything, your definitely going to want to slap a fan in there, I'm sure you know that though.

Firetruck red looks good.

So today i got a few things done, the paint is all dried and its time for final assembly to begin!

DSCF5259_zps5d90f2cd.jpg

DSCF5261_zpscd00b04a.jpg

DSCF5262_zpse9c71fcd.jpg

DSCF5260_zps254a5d87.jpg

Tomorrow I start the last of the wiring! I gotta get the fans up and running and finish the enclosure around the electronics and that should be all! everything else is just plug and play

This has the makings of a legendary nano reef for sure. If you pay half as much attention to detail with your husbandry as you did with your set up this is gonna be sweet!

Progress!!!! but it comes just intime for me to have to go back up north for work...however Im going to be leaving it on a good note!!

I now have water in the tank and i get to go back to work and essentially skip the whole cycling process that kills everyone haha no one likes sitting around and waiting as things slowly get going so i guess you could call that a silver lining but here we got with the pictures

I got the enclosure for the electronics all done and its extremely tight inside the sump cabinet, if you thought it was tight before this is what it looks like now!

DSCF5265_zps5dbcc2cd.jpg

there are still a few small details i have to get sorted out and if you look close the reactor needs carbon and the lines connected but I cant do that till i get the parts i orders (two little fishies reactor entender kit to make the output a nice downward tube instead of just a piece of curved hose, and I need to get or make a refugium light and get it hooked up and the fans need a power cord made up but thats all stuff for when i get back, right now its running and functional

DSCF5266_zps11ab617b.jpg

this is the power center all wrapped up and nicely sealed behind the acrylic door

DSCF5267_zpsf80da775.jpg

and with the tray pulled out i can open the door and get to everything i need to adjust or work on and then close back up

DSCF5268_zpsb309cb0a.jpg

WATER!!! as i you can see its all working and getting cycled but when i get back there are some final details i have to work out, unfortunately the plumbing handles all the increased water flow perfectly, i say unfortunately because there isn't enough back pressure in the line to feed the water fall, so im going to have to add a ball valve to the return line to increase the water pressure to get the water up to the waterfall but thats easy enough to do. Lastly i need to take the background out and get all the exposed rock covered in epoxy and sand to make it look like rock again but other then that and the light im pretty much laughing!!

So I head up to work monday morning and until im back november 11th everyone enjoy and leave some comments!! there are new parts and equipment on their way here are you read and as soon as im home this tank is going to have new updates!!

Really love how you managed to squeeze everything neatly into the stand, the acrylic electronics box turned out really well. The build is looking great so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys so ive been busy again now that im home! this time I'm doing some work on the exposed rock work

I picked up a bunch of tiny tiny pieces of balsa wood and im building this out of it

DSCF5270_zpsca17325c.jpg

This has to be one of the most inspirational builds I have seen! It's people like you that make others want to pick up new hobbies and try new things. This is awesome and I too want to see this complete with living critters.

That bridge thing looks like something from the first hobbit, also I'd be very careful with wafter flowing over the edge of the tank and water wicking out of the tank with the rock. Has happened to me before.

This has to be one of the most inspirational builds I have seen! It's people like you that make others want to pick up new hobbies and try new things. This is awesome and I too want to see this complete with living critters.

Holy wow! that was something i didn't expect to hear, thank you very much for that haha. I know its been a long time coming for a lot of you and i just keep building instead of adding the reef to my tank but its coming i promise hahah

That bridge thing looks like something from the first hobbit, also I'd be very careful with wafter flowing over the edge of the tank and water wicking out of the tank with the rock. Has happened to me before.

I know hey i love the look of it!! I got more done on it last night too. Alright ill be sure to watch for any run away water as soon as i get the upper rocks filled up but from text runs so far i think its going to be okay but only time will tell hey

heres what i got done last night

DSCF5273_zpsdb3abf10.jpg

DSCF5271_zpsa819dc87.jpg

DSCF5272_zpsbe52cb00.jpg

DSCF5274_zps5b8dec7f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A balsa wood dock/stairs? Dude. This is freaking amazing. Anyone say TOTM yet?

I don't know if id go that far just yet but thanks!!

Hey!! I'm back

well actually i got back late monday night but I've been doing some stuff with the tank and the boardwalk! so here you go everyone - its growing!

DSCF5291_zps0c720413.jpg

DSCF5295_zpse104ea1c.jpg

DSCF5296_zps20c55d34.jpg

DSCF5291_zps0c720413.jpg

DSCF5292_zps6d5f5dbd.jpg

DSCF5293_zps5b6ccf50.jpg

WOW! This is not even a tank anymore, it's a piece of art. The level of creativity and imagination in this build blows me away. Great work Blueworld! I envy you :bowdown:

Archived