Coral Vue Hydros

Jamies 13.3g custom

Blueworld

Incredible job on the scape!!!!

Mmmmmm? Food coloring might work, but you should check what's in it and I'm not sure that the epoxy will absorb it. Maybe you could use acrylic artist paint?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is a little behind the scenes work from last night, before i started the second coat of epoxy, its still curing but hopefully tonight you can see the final product in the tank where its going to stay for the rest of eternity!

DSCF3959_zps48d5e4e1.jpg

DSCF3960_zpsd9ae92f1.jpg

DSCF3961_zpsb3149415.jpg

DSCF3962_zpsf5531b47.jpg

I used COLD CURE

DSCF3963_zpsc715d4be.jpg

Alright so here is the finished product, in its final resting place

DSCF3968_zps57ca921b.jpg

DSCF3973_zps579a0166.jpg

DSCF3974_zps28cb19ce.jpg

DSCF3975_zps2e5290df.jpg

DSCF3976_zps47c82f58.jpg

DSCF3977_zps97819fd3.jpg

DSCF3978_zpse135868a.jpg

So now that that project is knocked off the list I have a few things left to go before splash down can commence!!

I still have to build an acrylic shield that will house my 90 degree cords for everything to get plugged into, and will also fully encapsulate the rest of my electronics so they don't end up with water damage from being in the sump cabinet,

and then i need to pick up, a two little fishies phosban reactor to run GFO and carbon

and then i need to pick up a 150w heater

and last but certainly not least i need to pick up a tunze 1073.050 silence pump to feed the reactor, the return to the tank, the refugium and the water fall

Then i can start to cycle the tank as i build the LED's to light it all up!!

Looking sweet Jamie. Do you think the substrate will stay put with that wave maker? Also if the substrate was a different type from the one you used for the rocks it would help separate them apart visually.

Looking sweet Jamie. Do you think the substrate will stay put with that wave maker? Also if the substrate was a different type from the one you used for the rocks it would help separate them apart visually.

Thanks! I think it should keep pretty still, it might take a bit to fully settle out but i cant see it blowing it all over the tank. I think your right! maybe i should look at getting something a little bigger like aragonite or coral crush, its hard to say. I think maybe after the rock starts to colour up it will look better ive always been a fan of the fine sand but i think your right in getting something different for the sand bed

Thanks! I think it should keep pretty still, it might take a bit to fully settle out but i cant see it blowing it all over the tank. I think your right! maybe i should look at getting something a little bigger like aragonite or coral crush, its hard to say. I think maybe after the rock starts to colour up it will look better ive always been a fan of the fine sand but i think your right in getting something different for the sand bed

Ya I went with a larger grain aragonite and it stays nice and white, while the rocks have darkened up. The grains are just large enough that I can take a sihpon to the sandbed and it sucks out all the crap and detritus but leaves the sand swirling around at the bottom of the tube. So if you had the wavebox going full blast it shouldn't cause it to blow around. I'd think the special grade reef which is around 1-2mm would work. The crushed coral is in the 3-5mm+ range and I think just looks too big for a nano.

Hey guys, i hope you all had a great christmas!! I got some more stuff done over the holidays. were getting close to getting saltwater into it now!! I drained all the fresh water out of the tank and the sump, I also plumed a Phosban 150 Reactor into my return line and cleaned up the extra wireing on the back side of my tank! Enjoy!!

DSCF3984_zps9a3f4e44.jpg

DSCF3985_zps0c61b9fa.jpg

DSCF3986_zpscefb328e.jpg

• Like 1

Alright so now that all the plumbing is 100% done ill give you guys a tour of the sump cus well there is a whole heck of a lot crammed into it haha

So this is the back of my sump, I have the fans out of the left side in the picture. on the left side you can see my feed lines from my tank to my sump running along the roof of the cabinet and to the front of the sump. My return line is the white flex pipe right by the float switch, it then gets T'd off twice inside the cabinet, first to run water past my probes that I have put inline which also feeds my refugium (the valve on the far right of the picture) , and second to feed my phosban 150 reactor (the valve on the far left of the picture) it is hanging below the supply lines for the sump

DSCF4227_zpsd8bf5d13.jpg

Here is a closer picture of the maze of plumbing

DSCF4228_zpsb3c6e4da.jpg

Then we have the heart of my system which will soon be getting a much needed upgrade to a Tunze Silence 1073.050 - its going to be a huge jump!! You can also see where my Tunze ATO floats and optical eye are placed in the tank

DSCF4230_zpsae771420.jpg

Then we have the skimmer/reactor chamber looking in from where the fans are on the side of the cabinet. There will be a heater sharing that space in the near future too

DSCF4232_zps03dd2789.jpg

and lastly the reactor is now in the sump and sitting nice and pretty, i will be going to get the extension kit that has two more elbows and the barbed fitting to keep the height of the outlet tube on the reactor as low profile as possible so i can get the skimmer cup out without and problems

DSCF4233_zps89e50315.jpg

and looking at the reactor from the fan opening with the front door to the cabinet closed - not a lot of spare room to be found haha

DSCF4234_zps0e895a1b.jpg

I know that pictures are sometimes hard to get a true feel for what you're seeing, and ive had a few questions on other forums about things ive done and such so I made a video that ill link right here too!

Just wanted you to know I read your entire thread plus the videos. All I can say is this is the most thought out well planned nano tank on this site. It looks amazing completely empty. Most definitely following this!

Just wanted you to know I read your entire thread plus the videos. All I can say is this is the most thought out well planned nano tank on this site. It looks amazing completely empty. Most definitely following this!

Holy wow Sulfer!!! That is extremely generous and too kind of you to say.. :blush: Thanks for following along!

I know it's been in my head for a while I'm just trying to get it all out and into this build haha

You sure packed that cabinet to the gills.

Haha yes is certainly did, and it going to get even more packed, I still have to build an acrylic cover for my electrical box that will also be hinged so i can open it on one side and permanently affixed at the other end to hold all my cords in a nice neat line

Nice Aqua scaping. But, aren't you afraid of the top rock collecting dust while it's out of the water?

Right now im not to worried, i know that some of it will have water in/on it and the rest of it will be getting misted to help the plants that ill be putting on it grow, i think the dust will just help color up the rock as times goes on haha

Sorry to everyone, I haven't been around much in the last week or so I'm a little side tracked at the moment thanks to the ditch and post that literally came out of no where!! its like someone sent them to hunt me down :lol::unsure::(

photo2_zps7de045c4.jpg
photo_zps576a9f6a.jpg
photo1_zps7f8e6150.jpg
photo3_zps8dec3369.jpg
But as soon as that is all taken care of, ill be right back on schedule with my tank and I have a few pretty big projects that ill be tackling!!

I'm sorry about your car I hope you fix it soon

Yeah its shitty luck but its all good, things are looking up i think! Just won a ski trip for two to Fernie all paid for by Kokanee!!!! haha

Yeah its shitty luck but its all good, things are looking up i think! Just won a ski trip for two to Fernie all paid for by Kokanee!!!! haha

Nice that's really awesome

I love the way you have incorporated the overflow and a wave box into the tank design. Everything has been carried out with great detail. The rock insert is also very impressive. I can't wait to see how you stock this.

Hey everyone, so im back! I did a pretty bad ass job on my window id say its strong enough to last through anything right now haha, i decided to put my truck aside untill the show melts and i dont have a 1931 ford model A in my garage that im currently restoring for a friend, then ill do all the body work and paint the truck and get a new window stuck in it.

in the mean time you all get a treat cus im back on track with my tank! haha i just got home from work and poured myself a nice jack and coke and now im pulling out my wallet to grab some goodies online. First stop..

JL Aquatics for a new return pump! I just ordered a Tunze 1073.0500!!! yeah thats the big one! and I need a heater so lets throw that in there too, a Jager 200W heater should do the trick, so these will give me a total of

243.40 with free shipping cus im really nice to them

Next were off to Bulk Reef Supply for a few things, first being a 5 Stage 75 GPD RO/DI unit and a float valve to keep it from flooding the house, next on the list is a 2 Part Dosing System for Calcium and Alk and then a single Dosing Pump for Magnesium and then some Magnesium to put into the dosing pump. The next thing on my list is some GFO and Carbon to stuff in my reactor. Lastly I need to know what all my levels are at so lets toss in some Hanna Checkers too, like this one, this one, and this one! For a checkout total of

758.91 with free shipping

So far we are at: 1002.91$

Stay tuned guys cus after dinner and a few more JD and cokes were going LED shopping!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What ever happened to this tank?

Yea, fill us in!

Hey everyone, so sorry for the long absence, I have been working out of town for the last three weeks. I got home late tonight and quickly got all my hopes and dreams crushed when i realized that USPS or UPS or whoever the hell is handling my stuff, decided that when i get it is when i get it and i can just go suck a lemon untill then haha. SO until my massive order of gear gets here im just stuck daydreaming.

Any updates? Have you decide on what LEDs your going with? Loving this build so far can't wait to see it progress :)

Yes actually i have decided somewhat on how ill do my led's. Im going to be making two 7 inch round cannons that i will mount inside of two 8 inch round ceiling pot lights above the tank. Im going to be wiring then up through the wall so you cant see the cords, and into my attic as the tank on the top floor. The heat from them will be dissipated into the attic thanks to two 120mm fans that will come on with the lights. Im going to put some very tight optics on the led's to focus the light into beams that will still keep their PAR over the distance because the light is focused not dispersed. Ill be able to keep the clean look of the tank and have it lit up with out seeing the fixture

Archived