inTank Media Baskets

BillyC's 120g Reef Candy

Billyc

It seems much like zoas then, where the subtleties are only obvious to collectors. Ha! Except for prices!!

I know that at least in SPS, specifically in montiporas, polyp colors can change due to lighting, is it the same in the instance of the chalices you name above? You listed common names, is the species name the same or different for these?

So why is it that chalice colonies I see at my LFS or in hobbyist tanks are never bright like these frags? Why do chalices loose color as they establish in a tank?

I always thought, given how slooooow these guys grow, that a tank builds up in nutrients and inhibits zooxanthelle over the time that it takes to grow into a colony. But I'm too new at this to comment with confidence either way. Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Sorry for the delayed response...

Yea Kat you're right about the similarities between zoas and chalices when it comes to subtle differences being noticeable mostly to collectors. Here's an example using palys: If you search for pictures of "Red Halo" palys and "Blue Agave" palys, you'll see two very similar zoanthids. So similar that to the average reefer, they look like the same type of polyp. To a diehard zoa collector, they are very different and are both must-haves. They can easily distinguish color differences in both palys. That's how chalice collecting is.

As far as chalices maintaining their colors, it all depends on the coral. The chalices you mention that come from the LFS are usually straight from the ocean and extremely stressed out from shipping and suboptimal conditions. You can compare this to importing acropora colonies. Most of these colorful colonies that are harvested from the ocean lose their color and never regain them. With many corals, the average LFS generally recieves shipments of left over corals. The reason is because there are vendors who are able to browse through coral shipments at wholesalers and "cherry-pick" the most unique and promising pieces. These vendors are the suppliers of the "high-end" or "collectible" coral market. By the time the average LFS places an order from a wholesaler, all of the best pieces are gone. When a unique chalice is discovered that holds its color in captivity and has good survivability, it easily becomes collectible if it is a morph that has not been seen. The cost is much higher than most corals because of the high demand and low supply. You're right that chalices (mostly echinophyllias) are some of the slowest growing corals. This greatly reduces the supply of a coral that is very high in demand. These are the chalices that I collect. Some of them are so sought-after that you couldn't find it to buy it even if you had a lot of money because true collectors would rather grow their precious colonies rather than propagate them.

Yes, even collector chalices can change colors. As with almost any coral, each specimen has a preference for placement in an aquarium. In general, chalices like low indirect light and low flow. However there are some that improve coloration and health in all different conditions. I'm not sure what you meant in your comment about zooxanthella. From what I understand, high nutrients will promote zoox growth. The reason some corals "brown out" in high nutrient tanks is because all of the brown zoox overpopulates in the coral tissue and masks the other colors. Maybe you are referring to growth inhibition because of high phosphates? High nutrients in a tank would inevitably lead to high phosphates which inhibits growth of corals because phosphates inhibit the binding of calcium and carbonate which makes coral skeleton. Hope this LOOOONNNGG response helps a bit.

Those chalices are absolutely fantastic. What lighting are you using?

Thanks a lot man! I use 250W 14k Metal Halides and supplement with VHO Actinics.

I'm not sure what you meant in your comment about zooxanthella. From what I understand, high nutrients will promote zoox growth. The reason some corals "brown out" in high nutrient tanks is because all of the brown zoox overpopulates in the coral tissue and masks the other colors.

Yup, that's what I was referring to; brown zoox growing abundantly inhibiting the corals colors.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I've been feeding my chalices aggressively in hopes of making them grow faster. So far with only a month of feeding, I've noticed 2-3 months of growth. I wish I had been feeding like this since the beginning.

Here are some night shots I took of my chalices puffed up and eating mysis shrimp. It was pitch black so I'm using a flashlight in these shots.

307215965b19d5126108e14b0fe31059.jpg

18782def6ea60dabfb9b5652678272b7.jpg

4e15abbff000873fe45f070e22e07a19.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wanted to share my tank with everyone. I'll update with lots of pics often. Thanks for looking.

I tried to send you a message but your inbox is full.

• 1 month later...

Archived