SaltCritters.com

Why vortech over koralia?

bamadws56

I've owned pretty much every powerhead, wave maker, pump you can think of. I keep going back to Vortechs over them all. The small footprint, near silent operation, amazing modes, and great customer support keep drawing me back. I've had the bearings go out on me once out of warranty and EcoTech took care of me no problem. The small footprint is a big deal to me as I HATE pumps in the aquarium. I currently have an MP10wes on my 8 gallon reef and love it. I don't think I'll ever switch back because they are so easy to use and the benefits far outweigh the costs. I'm known around here to be incredibly cheap too haha.

I'm in the process of building a new tank and will run my Vortech on it and possibly a Radion. EcoTech products (except their glue) are all sensational IMO and I am very picky.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
buddythelion

Starting off as a reefer on a budget, I started with koralia nanos on my small 12 nanocube. As I felt that I needed more flow, I just simply found a few more on craigs for about $15 each. I ended up with two koralia nanos and they did a great job. My nanocube (My thread is still up somewhere) was able to grow many corals very well. For the person on a budget, the koralias do an excellent job and are definitely all you'd need in a small nano.

I've upgraded now to an MP10 for my Solana 25, simply because I opted for a minimal look in my tank. Gets the job done perfectly. But it is expensive. I honestly only use one mode, and don't pay much attention to it.

I say try a few koralia nanos first if it's a tank 20 and below. If you've got money to spend, go with vortech for looks and fancy options, but mainly so you can use it in an upgrade.

20+, I say go for one MP10. Makes things easy and clean.

This is after having used both.

vortech provides random non-laminar flow with a single pump. You need multiple koralia's strategically placed to create randomized flow and it mucks up the views in our nanos. Vortechs keep the heat out of the tank as the motor is outside the glass. The gph output is far better than a koralia. I'd probably need mmmm 6 koralia's for my 180g..whereas I just need 2 vortechs.

not to mention for the extra hundred I can wirelessly control them with my ipad through the apex. cool $hit

where's the guy who just upgraded from 3 koralias to a single vortech.. he has pics

Well put.

Ya I also love the fact that the Apex can control the pump flawlessly. I am currently waiting for UPS to deliver my WXM right now! haha

Threads like this make me want to make a 15g on a closed loop lol...

FWIW my 90 is powered by 2 MJ1200 pros and a tunze wavebox. I'm going to swap the MJ's for koralias for 2 reasons. 1 I want wider flow, and 2 I can't afford a pair of 6095's.

I've got a closed loop plumbed into a 110 I'm building. I'll have 6000gph of flow with no powerheads. Reeflo hammerhead and oceans motions 4 way.

I'll never set up a tank without a closed loop again. You decide how your flow works, you can even rockscape around it perfectly.

koralias will pretty much do a similar job as a vortech in terms of moving water.

But if aesthetics and smaller footprint is your main concern, then the vortechs are the winner.

Archived