SaltCritters.com

Why vortech over koralia?

bamadws56

jedimasterben

If your Vortech powerhead is noisy, something is wrong with it and it needs service. Plain and simple. They are silent powerheads, but powerheads that are completely submerged, such as the Koralia, will be quieter simply because all of their noise is in the water. Put your ear up the tank and listen to it, that's what your fish get to listen to 24/7.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If your Vortech powerhead is noisy, something is wrong with it and it needs service. Plain and simple. They are silent powerheads, but powerheads that are completely submerged, such as the Koralia, will be quieter simply because all of their noise is in the water. Put your ear up the tank and listen to it, that's what your fish get to listen to 24/7.

+1 and if you can near your MP 40 winding there is something wrong with it. I had mine at 80% and no crazy noise. Could I hear it if I was next to it? Yes could I hear it 5 ft away?No

+1 and if you can near your MP 40 winding there is something wrong with it. I had mine at 80% and no crazy noise. Could I hear it if I was next to it? Yes could I hear it 5 ft away?No

Results may vary. From what I've read, there are equal parts on both sides of the argument. I think it's more of a risk you take. Some people's bearings bust in a month, others last for years. If they used ceramic bearings, it would be an all around better product.

jedimasterben
Results may vary. From what I've read, there are equal parts on both sides of the argument. I think it's more of a risk you take. Some people's bearings bust in a month, others last for years. If they used ceramic bearings, it would be an all around better product.

+1 about ceramic bearings

A PSA to those who have owned a Vortech pump and had the bearing go out (or any other issue, for that matter):

If something is wrong and your pump is under warranty, they will replace it in a jiffy. If it is out of warranty, then you can either a) replace the part (or get someone to replace it for you if you are not handy), or B) ##### about it on the internet and tell everyone that Ecotech worships the devil and sacrifices babies and that Koralia/Tunze are srsly better at everything omg.

Most people choose option b. :lol:

steviejitsu

It's the dryside that makes a lot of noise. Is that just mine... I've had this for a long time though.

+1 about ceramic bearings

A PSA to those who have owned a Vortech pump and had the bearing go out (or any other issue, for that matter):

If something is wrong and your pump is under warranty, they will replace it in a jiffy. If it is out of warranty, then you can either a) replace the part (or get someone to replace it for you if you are not handy), or B) ##### about it on the internet and tell everyone that Ecotech worships the devil and sacrifices babies and that Koralia/Tunze are srsly better at everything omg.

Most people choose option b. :lol:

I was guilty of this! Lol they lost my lifetime customer value over a dry side. They lost all my future business and they have me and others critisizing them. They should know better. The customer is always right. Especially in premium markets. I don't know who's in charge of their marketing, that's just wrong.

I had a vortech that was getting a bit noisy and I pawned it off on another person here on nr. Hopefully it is still working well for her. :fingerscrossed:

I would still buy another one though, if keeping a reef wasn't such a massive waste of time, money and space.

I had a vortech that was getting a bit noisy and I pawned it off on another person here on nr. Hopefully it is still working well for her. :fingerscrossed:

I would still buy another one though, if keeping a reef wasn't such a massive waste of time, money and space.

WOW

I am sure people will say Koralias but I have never hap a problem with Ecotech I have had problems with Koralias propellors stopping even after cleaning.

Which one lasts the longest when used correctly?

This is in respect to Vortech pumps:

There is no clear answer to that. Generally, the pumps are problem free (Even I must admit). BUT, There is enough people with bearing issues to consider this a risk. This reflects a bad marketing department. As I mentioned before, they are not looking into customer lifetime value because of the immediate costs involved in returns, repairs... I believe they aren't looking at the big picture.

edit: I thought you were asking about vortechs. Still, there is no clear answer to your question. I have seen many koralias and tunze pumps having problems too.

Well my 2cents is balance it with the rest of the stuff you've got to buy and how important you think it is to the success of your tank.

Worse case, if you change your mind.... you can buy the other one and sell the original. You do have to be willing to take the loss if you do resell though. I think tinkering around with different stuff is part of the fun/frustration of this hobby

Which one lasts the longest when used correctly?

Koralias take up quite a bit of real estate in a nano and they are cheaply made. The blades are super thin, and will crack and wear quickly. I had one for about a month, took it out and realized the blades were worn to nubs. Replaced the blade and used it for water changes, and the blades wore down after about two months of infrequent use. If you don't want a vortech, look at a submersible pump like the rio.

But all this still doesn't justify the cost, IMO.

I use maxi-jet pros that cost $16. In picos, they can become tiny if you minimalize it, and in larger tanks, they are still not that big.

Im not even going to read all of the comments.. a member with 23 post put this up makes me think this is TROLL thread. These need to be locked up, just saying.

But all this still doesn't justify the cost, IMO.

I use maxi-jet pros that cost $16. In picos, they can become tiny if you minimalize it, and in larger tanks, they are still not that big.

coming from someone that thinks leds are the best haha

people like Herranton should be banned from this forum. It's not right to begin with and then to brag about it is just another level.

Herranton is great guy and an excellent seller, hush please

devilsadvocate
people like Herranton should be banned from this forum. It's not right to begin with and then to brag about it is just another level.

gtfo noob. this forum needs more people like herranton. you know why, he doesnt make pointless threads.

gtfo noob. this forum needs more people like herranton. you know why, he doesnt make pointless threads.

i tried saying this a little nicer but this is what i wanted to say

richardcharliesam

In a larger tank, it's easier to fit the koralia's in there without them being so noticed or looking severely out of place. In a smaller tank, they stick out like a sore thumb.

I originally bought a Koralia 750 for my Solana cube, after seeing what it looked like in there (see link in sig), I picked up an MP10. So, form was a major factor for me. Once I had the MP10, not only the footprint, but the performance and features stood out. The different modes, speed adjustments, and (for wireless models) link-ability to other pumps or Ecotech lighting are huge. In terms of breaking down or in need of repair, the wetside is easy and fairly cheap (depending on the issue) to replace/repair if need be, the dry side is a bit more costly.

My Koralia has been sent to water mixing duty, pretty much every time I plug it in, it is either running backwards or not running at all. It's a piece of junk in that regard. When it runs, or in a tank where it will always be on, you should have no problems.

Depending on your needs and budget, either one will be fine.

Blennylover14

Ive never had problems with my koralia. It may be ugly buy you can hide it with rocks.

Honestly paing 300 dollars for a powerhead is the stupidest thing i have ever heard

Heres how I see it, design and aesthetics are very important. Ya I can go out and buy a desk for $50 which with a little care will last me a long time, it will serve the purpose of me needing a place to sit at my computer, or I could spend $1200 on a desk that is custom built, that is truly beautiful, a work of art, and enriches my life. Has nothing to do with status imo.

Good architects get paid a lot of money because the space you inhabit / occupy has a huge effect on people's personality, attitude and overall happiness.

We got into reefing because of the beauty of the tank and the challenge it provides. I will be purchasing a vortech mp10 for our tank once the time comes because it's aesthetically pleasing and doesn't interfere with the look of the tank, the functions it provides are also very impressive.

• 2 months later...

To those saying you get what you pay for. This is true up to a certian extent.

When you think with your money, you over pay. Just buying the most expensive stuff will not guarantee you success.

I have a MP10 and a tunze pump in my tank, I would never spend the 260 bucks to get another MP10. While I love having one on the side of my tank you can see, I don't really care about all the "modes"

I think they are cool, but I have never seen the mode I set mine on making any difference in the happiness of my livestock.

Luxury powerheads are just that, a luxury. I love mine, they are fun toys, but if I had to choose between tunze pumps + a nicer skimmer, or nicer light or some ecotech pumps. I would choose the first...

If you have the money, go for it, otherwise spend it elsewhere.

Archived