Top Shelf Aquatics

Why vortech over koralia?

bamadws56

I will be buying a powerhead shortly and am trying to figure out why people pay so much for the MP series vortechs

Instead of the koralias. Is it really that much better or is it a status thing?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a status thing there's just no comparison between the two.

I've had both and wouldn't consider purchasing a koralia over a vortech. It's hard to explain without over simplifying but it's like getting in a car that the moment you turn it on drives only at one constant speed, never slower, never faster vs. one with gears that you can go from slow to fast, accelerate, stop etc.

revaltion131

There's a very long laundry list of reasons. Short version: the Vortechs do all kinds of cool stuff the Koralias, even with a controller, just aren't capable of. You can set different types of flow "modes" where it can simulate a reef crest tide, or it has a setting that's ideal to just keep all the detritus and so forth in the water column until it can get to your filtration. They also cover a significantly larger area.

Xenia_farmer

I don't own a vortech (not really in my budget) but I'm soooooo sick and tired of the "status thing". They are better, so are apple computers and Mercedes Benz, people who can't afford these things call then "status symbols" but they are simply a higher quality product plain and simple. P.S. Rolexs are way nicer than timex.

hooligan_78

Koralias put out decent flow, and are cheaper. But, as mentioned, don't really compare. Plus, they're bulky and take up a lot of room in your tank. I try to keep as much man made crap outta my display. The only thing you'll see are my elbow overflow, the return and my MP40. If you have the budget, go with Vortech.

devilsadvocate
This is part of my research dumba$$

well why dont you do you own homework and google the question.

Now, now boys play nice :)

If you don't want to answer the question - don't click the 'reply" button :)

Go back to your rooms until you can all get along ;)

vortech provides random non-laminar flow with a single pump. You need multiple koralia's strategically placed to create randomized flow and it mucks up the views in our nanos. Vortechs keep the heat out of the tank as the motor is outside the glass. The gph output is far better than a koralia. I'd probably need mmmm 6 koralia's for my 180g..whereas I just need 2 vortechs.

not to mention for the extra hundred I can wirelessly control them with my ipad through the apex. cool $hit

where's the guy who just upgraded from 3 koralias to a single vortech.. he has pics

Actually this isn't research, "dumba$$."

You're just being a lazy "a$$."

Then don't reply. Getting user reviews and peoples perspectives is absolutely part of any intelligent person's research.

you're clearly being lazy... This question has been asked a million times already.

http://bit.ly/PPVzV0

Well make it a million and one, and if you don't want to answer, then don't come in here and post worthless replies

These forums may as well be shut down since you can find the answer to anything online already. There's not one unique question that hasn't been asked if you search hard enough

Bongo Shrimp
vortech provides random non-laminar flow with a single pump. You need multiple koralia's strategically placed to create randomized flow and it mucks up the views in our nanos. Vortechs keep the heat out of the tank as the motor is outside the glass. The gph output is far better than a koralia. I'd probably need mmmm 6 koralia's for my 180g..whereas I just need 2 vortechs.

not to mention for the extra hundred I can wirelessly control them with my ipad through the apex. cool $hit

where's the guy who just upgraded from 3 koralias to a single vortech.. he has pics

This^ and it also comes down to whether you want to put an astro van or a Lamborghini in your tank (I mean in terms of looks).

Not to mention you get what you pay for.

Amphiprion1

If you don't mind paying the money, then get one. They are very nice pumps and the feature list is the best on the market. While you can't accomplish quite the same type of water motion with most other pumps, you can certainly achieve the same quantity if arranged and planned appropriately. The bottom line is that they are nice, but not necessary. You can certainly have a completely successful system without one.

FWIW, I really enjoy mine and the wave effects it makes.

Don't ask a bunch of cumpulsive buyers which pump to buy. You will get a lopsided answer. In short, vortechs are first and foremost a luxury and then a powerhead. Think about that. Your tank will need flow for a variety of reasons. How you add flow to your tank is entirely up to you. koralias get the job done, last longer, are silent, and they're cheap. Mp10s give advanced features with its controller. Never buy a used one ( a lot of people sell them when the bearings wear out). Not all people. But through my research, I've seen a good amount of people replace the bearings on vortechs that were bought used.

well why dont you do you own homework and google the question.

Because this is a forum to ask questions. If people did not ask questions there would be no forum here for you to talk to all your little tween buddies.

Actually this isn't research, "dumba$$."

You're just being a lazy "a$$."

No he is posting a question where he wants a answer. Least it is a fish related question and not some BS crap you post to raise your post count.

Now, now boys play nice :)

If you don't want to answer the question - don't click the 'reply" button :)

Go back to your rooms until you can all get along ;)

Thank You

thegambler26
you're clearly being lazy... This question has been asked a million times already.

http://bit.ly/PPVzV0

Wait... Since when did sitting in front of a computer on the Internet to find information instead of going out and physically finding it yourself not become lazy? I must've missed that.

Guy just asked a question for some first hand experience or maybe he just wanted to chat with people about a product. Cut him some slack.

Heres a good reason .... Random flow its good for corals instead of just having 300 gph flowing 365 24/7 you can have pulse or any of that stuff . If you can afford it buy it if you can theres nothing wrong with the koralias .. I have a vortech mp 10 and I love it .

steviejitsu

I have mixed feelings about the two pumps. Koralias can be dead silent, to the point where if I had my ears 2 inches from the pump, I wouldn't know it was on... I had to put my hands in front of the pump to know. Koralias with a red sea pro wavemaker worked really well. There are no start up sounds and random flow is created that way, from multiple directions, which I think is crucial.

I currently have an MP40. While it is a nice pump, it's not worth the price, considering what I could get with it, and how loud it is. I can never crank it to 100% or even 80% because at that point, the pump is extremely loud. It makes a loud whirling sound that randomly comes and goes, because the pump is meant to speed up and slow down.

However, the MP40 was the only option in my tank as I have 3/4 inch acrylic that koralias wouldn't attach to.

That's just my experience. The mp10 is a bit less noisy, but at 100%, it still makes considerable noise that I didn't expect from such a high end pump. at 100%, it's easily the loudest equipment on my tank.

Archived