Coral Vue Hydros

Which is Which?

ltlevil1

Ok there is a story to this but first I need your opinions of which is which and then I will explain... Let me know which clam you think is the Maxima and which is the Crocea or for that matter if you think they are both a Crocea or Maxima. The first three pics go together and the second three go together. Hard to get detailed pics under water and without stressing 'em out. Because it's hard to see I will say the top one has scutes basically from top to botttom and also fairly prominet ribs. The bottom has a few scutes mostly toward the upper margin and is relatively smooth without the predominant ribs. Let me know your opinions and reasons why.

post-73489-1341446271_thumb.jpg

post-73489-1341446289_thumb.jpg

post-73489-1341446300_thumb.jpg

post-73489-1341446318_thumb.jpg

post-73489-1341446327_thumb.jpg

post-73489-1341446333_thumb.jpg

OK let's do it this way. I wanted an unbiased opinion without saying too much but the pictures above are all of the same clam I got last week. I was trying to figure out if it was truly a crocea or maxima and then I saw the article above about a maxea clam. On mine the byssal opening appears closer to a maxima and one side of the shell has folds and scutes similar to those of a maxima. The opposite side folds are relatively smooth with a few scutes toward the upper margin. It also has a yellowish tint to it. The mantle also has a ring of "eyes" around the outer edge typical of croceas. In addition the shell is not as symmetrical as typically seen in maximas. So anyone have any thoughts now?

• 3 weeks later...

From what I read in Advanced Aquarist (in February 2012), the one with the shorter scutes is probably the crocea while the one with the deeper scutes all the way to the bottom is probably the maxima.

From what I read in Advanced Aquarist (in February 2012), the one with the shorter scutes is probably the crocea while the one with the deeper scutes all the way to the bottom is probably the maxima.

Yeah I would think that too and an original post thought that but the problem is the pics are of the same clam. I now have a better appreciation for the whole hybrid crocea/maxima thing. Not saying I agree or disagree as I certainly am not an expert but I can see where someone could think this at least possible-Including Myself.

Amphiprion1
Yeah I would think that too and an original post thought that but the problem is the pics are of the same clam. I now have a better appreciation for the whole hybrid crocea/maxima thing. Not saying I agree or disagree as I certainly am not an expert but I can see where someone could think this at least possible-Including Myself.

How is the shell symmetry? It looks a bit oblong from the pics and the byssal opening is maller, making me think it is T. maxima.

How is the shell symmetry? It looks a bit oblong from the pics and the byssal opening is maller, making me think it is T. maxima.

I'm pretty certain it is a maxima. I just now haver a better appreciation for people that say they have a hybrid. After having it a a while and studying it more closely it looks more like a maxima than crocea. The biggest thing is the clam appears happy and I'm happy. It was about a twenty minute ride home then drip acclimation with a little gaping the first 24 hours. He also was trying to move so I moved him and he appeared happy with no gaping then after about four days decided to move again. So I moved him and everything appears ok. This is the biggest reason I wanted to make certain if he was a maxima or crocea so I would know which substrate would be preferable to the clam. That's what got the whole conversation started really.

Archived