SaltCritters.com

Jackies 5 gallon Fluval Spec

jstuver

Still doesn't seem like enough flow to me, is there any mod that needed to be done to it other than removing the front and back?

I don't, thinking maybe some sort of ball or club anemone...

If the back is anything like the 2 gallon spec the baffle will cut most of the intake off, I had to cut a bit of the housing around the impeller otherwise the flow wasn't much better than the stock pump.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bdevillier19

Still doesn't seem like enough flow to me, is there any mod that needed to be done to it other than removing the front and back?

i just removed the front an back and it dropped right in. it seems that the spec 2 has different dimensions in the rear chamber. have you tried the 606 already and if so, you think that the flow is still weak? oh and by the way, thats a sweet looking little nem, and good photography as usual.

i just removed the front an back and it dropped right in. it seems that the spec 2 has different dimensions in the rear chamber. have you tried the 606 already and if so, you think that the flow is still weak? oh and by the way, thats a sweet looking little nem, and good photography as usual.

Yea I got the 606 still seems weak to me:( which direction do you have the intake part? I slid mine in so it is facing the main tank basically.

And thank you!

OK I figured out that the pump had sucked up a suction cup which was making it so there wasn't much flow lol. Problem fixed

bdevillier19
Yea I got the 606 still seems weak to me:( which direction do you have the intake part? I slid mine in so it is facing the main tank basically.

And thank you!

i have my pump positioned the same way you do, however i haven't tried the suction cup method to restrict the flow :D How do you like the pump now that it is flowing for you? i"m still very undecided on what i want to do for my lighting, one of these days i'll make the jump and place an order. Any more pics?

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried facing the pump towards the first filter chamber? I takes a little coaxing, but it drops below the center divide and allows unrestricted intake for the pump. I then just pull it out by the tube and cord when I need to remove it.

Any updates on the tank? Where is your heater? What type are you using? What did you do with the filter area?

I'm setting one up myself and am very interested in your build.

• 6 months later...

i have my pump positioned the same way you do, however i haven't tried the suction cup method to restrict the flow :D How do you like the pump now that it is flowing for you? i"m still very undecided on what i want to do for my lighting, one of these days i'll make the jump and place an order. Any more pics?

Hey guys, I bought this tank a few weeks ago and I love it. Could you tell me where you guys found the maxi jet 606? I was only able to find the 600 on Amazon and I'm not sure if it's the same one you guys are talking about. Thanks for your help!

Hey guys, I bought this tank a few weeks ago and I love it. Could you tell me where you guys found the maxi jet 606? I was only able to find the 600 on Amazon and I'm not sure if it's the same one you guys are talking about. Thanks for your help!

i believe they no longer make the 606 pump. i found mine at a LFS. amazon may be the best place to get it now if none of your LFS have one. here what you want, or one similar in dimensions

http://www.marinedepot.com/Mini_Jet_606_Powerhead_Aquarium_Powerheads_Compact_Pumps-Marineland_Instant_Ocean-AS1151-FIPHCP-AS1153-vi.html

i believe they no longer make the 606 pump. i found mine at a LFS. amazon may be the best place to get it now if none of your LFS have one. here what you want, or one similar in dimensions

http://www.marinedepot.com/Mini_Jet_606_Powerhead_Aquarium_Powerheads_Compact_Pumps-Marineland_Instant_Ocean-AS1151-FIPHCP-AS1153-vi.html

Thanks! I found the 606 at a local shop. I made the mod and I'm really happy with the flow. I live in San Francisco (where macro is illegal) so I haven't been able to make the mod with removing the sponge. I've some some Zoas in there and they seem pretty happy!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

If the back is anything like the 2 gallon spec the baffle will cut most of the intake off, I had to cut a bit of the housing around the impeller otherwise the flow wasn't much better than the stock pump.

Would the maxijet 606 work on the 2 gallon?

Sorry guys I got out of the hobby for awhile and then back in and out once more after this tank lol. It was an awesome tank though and if I were to do this small of a tank again I would choose this tank.

I need to start a thread with my current tank...

Archived