Innovative Marine Aquariums

Singlefin's MakersLed 40B

Singlefin

I knew I wanted it close to the waterline to limit the spillage of light into the room so I didn't go with optics. If I were hanging it from the ceiling than I would have used optics to tighten up the pattern. I think it comes with 120deg. Optics. The standard it comes with.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did some quick par readings of my LEDs. 225 on the sandbed. 270 on the left rock structure and 400 on the highest rock structure on the right.

Where did you get the PAR meter?

man, i'm so close to pulling the trigger on the 24" makers and new led setup...................ugh so many options........will sell old sink + leds if i pull

what don't you like about the led array?

I knew I wanted it close to the waterline to limit the spillage of light into the room so I didn't go with optics. If I were hanging it from the ceiling than I would have used optics to tighten up the pattern. I think it comes with 120deg. Optics. The standard it comes with.

I have 2 24" makersled heatsink with the same type of LEDs except I don't have 3ups. Only problem is that I have a canopy and planning on hanging them 10-12" off of the waterline do I will need optics for my NW and RB

man, i'm so close to pulling the trigger on the 24" makers and new led setup...................ugh so many options........will sell old sink + leds if i pull

what don't you like about the led array?

What don't you like about your current light? Can you just change out the LEDs? Might be cheaper. If you can get a good price for yours maybe sell it. There isn't anything I don't like about the light yet. Pretty happy with the par. I have 6 more RB I didn't install, and don't know if I will. Maybe use them for the fuge light. If I find something I don't like, I'll post it. More importantly, the wife likes it, or doesnt seen to mind it. Only thing, maybe I'll put it in a folding bracket to lift it up when doing maintenance, but as it is I can just slide it back.

I have 2 24" makersled heatsink with the same type of LEDs except I don't have 3ups. Only problem is that I have a canopy and planning on hanging them 10-12" off of the waterline do I will need optics for my NW and RB

Getting optics would depend on what kind of par strength you want on your sandbed. You would probably be in the 100-150 range. Just guessing. Milad might have a better answer for you. There might be better blending of the lights, but I don't really notice any disco balling.

Getting optics would depend on what kind of par strength you want on your sandbed. You would probably be in the 100-150 range. Just guessing. Milad might have a better answer for you. There might be better blending of the lights, but I don't really notice any disco balling.

If I'm getting that much par I might be content with that. But I ultimately would add optics because I want to keep some deep water acroporas.

I'm not sure if you can add or remove them youself. If you can I would just try it both ways. Maybe without first. You can see how the light blends. If I can, I'll try see if I can lift the fixture 12" off and take a reading on the sandbed.

We're your par readings taken with the 3ups at 100% (700ma)?

What's the distance from the top of the rock (400 par) to the water line at the top of the tank?

Yes. 3-ups at 700ma. OCW & TV @ 500ma. The highest rock is about 4" from the surface. I'm not in front of my tank right now but can measure when I get home. Then the light is another 3-4" above the water line.

07F06739-7102-47CF-9540-6AE1E54CA6FD-27488-00000B364B45E7E8.jpg

3ups are the NW/RB's - I have 8 x 3ups, 2 x OCW and 8 x TV running at 500mA as well on a 12" makers heatsink in two separate pods on a 20" deep tank, 20Lx16W.

I am running my RB's at 100% (using VDM) and NW at 70% with the rest as I mentioned at 500mA.

Our LED setups are similar just trying to do some guestimation based on your readings. I might have more output condensed together since my pods are 5 inches apart.

I'm sorry. Youre right. Long day. OCW & TV are at 500ma and 3-ups are at 700ma. I just have the 3ups split between two drivers. I'll edit my other post.

I'm sorry. Youre right. Long day. OCW & TV are at 500ma and 3-ups are at 700ma. I just have the 3ups split between two drivers. I'll edit my other post.

Gotcha, I am running three drivers so I can control my blues/whites separately.

Thanks for sharing the info, hopefully I can get my hands on a par meter too. I'd be interested to see what the readings are 19/20 inches below.

I'm not sure if you can add or remove them youself. If you can I would just try it both ways. Maybe without first. You can see how the light blends. If I can, I'll try see if I can lift the fixture 12" off and take a reading on the sandbed.

Yeah that would help me but I also plan on getting a par meter myself to make sure I have way more than enough intensity for my difficult corals.

Gotcha, I am running three drivers so I can control my blues/whites separately.

Thanks for sharing the info, hopefully I can get my hands on a par meter too. I'd be interested to see what the readings are 19/20 inches below.

At that height I'm pretty sure you would need the 40° optics. I'm far from an expert but that's pretty high off of the waterline to get high par readings

At that height I'm pretty sure you would need the 40° optics. I'm far from an expert but that's pretty high off of the waterline to get high par readings

Its not high off the water line, thats the depth of the tank. Its 2-3 inches off of the water line.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha. That's a temporary magnet mounted door. Coincidentally I found a roll of camo duct tape on the ground that day. Just used it to cover the sharp edge for the little fingers. I do love camo though.

Finally got some fish in the tank. Daughter was super excited.

Fish:

Yellow Coris Wrasse

Randall's Goby

Pink Spotted watchman's Goby

Also made a net top. Bring on the jumpers.

C09F7E20-E206-4EA3-AA37-D9613AF8E97B-22823-0000054BBD581E63.jpg

Waiting or the snails to finish their job before I mount anything. It's nice to have the tank pretty much set and watch things grow. less stress.

AWESOME!!! LOVE IT! ill def be following along since i will be doing the same type of build!!

how did u make the net covering? out of 1/2" screening?

Archived