Pod Your Reef

Singlefin's MakersLed 40B

Singlefin

Well, she's wet. Finally LR is done curing, got water and sand in and shes flowing. Hard to see from te picture but that's just two large pieces of LR in there. Has some nice overhangs and caves. Not what I originally thought, but it's growing on me. Will get some better pics when the lights are on. Should finish the final wiring tonight and see how it looks tomorrow.

35073785.jpg

Excuse the temporary getto fab door. Gotta keep the little fingers out of the sump until the real doors are done.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today as soon as I get home from work. I bent some 1/4" aluminum rod so it can sit on the tank an get a feel for how high I want it off the water. Temporary. But should work.

Lights are on. good grief, it seems like it took forever to get to this point. Bracket and wiring are temporary. Which means it will probably be like that for 2 years. Added 2 more TV for a total of 6. Everything is running full blast. 3-ups @ 700ma. OCW & TV @ 500ma.

5fc56db3.jpg

Thanks. There are only 3 rocks in there. The two main ones and one small one under the right side to lift it off the sand a little. It looks better in person. Hard to capture the caves and over hangs with the camera. In sure that's how most people's scapes are. The ones that look awesome in pics must be incredible in person.

Uncured.

47037c33.jpg

fad78f3d.jpg

Thanks. I still need to make a permanent tilting bracket for it. I'm trying to figure out how high I want them over the tank. Might try drop it a couple inches. It's kinda blinding to look at while sitting on the couch. Is you overflow pretty noisy? I think I'm just moving a lot of water. When I tie in a chiller hopefully it will slow it down a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Sump. Carbon & GFO reactors mounted but not running yet. Getting a lot of micro bubbles in the display. Need to slow down the current. My return pump really moves some water. Got some diatoms on the sand and algae on the rocks. CUC went in.

35a31d2e.jpg

7f4f5dcc.jpg

c3ae58a8.jpg

Started moving some stuff over. Pretty impressed with my "full spectrum" light. I have red Acans that quickly turned a light orange in my 29 under ecoxotic LEDs. After a week under my DIY light the reds are coming back. A week later I added a second head of the same light orange color acan, and the difference is crazy. I've had these Acans for months and i was pretty disappointed with my ecoxotics. Now it's like an 80's party when the moonlights come on.

Thanks. No disco or spotlights. The close clustering is supposed to eliminate the disco effect. It's a pretty even spread.

Thanks. No disco or spotlights. The close clustering is supposed to eliminate the disco effect. It's a pretty even spread.

Agreed, my spread is nice and no discoballing.

I really like the light. It's been on for maybe 2 weeks and my acans have really got their true colors back. The worse one was a real bland pale green, and the reds are coming back. The edges of my monti caps are white and growing. Stoked.

Nice build.

Did you go with just one 24" heatsink?

I have a 40 breeder with leds with red and cyan but my reds all turn orange. I am going to try and see what I can do following your build.

Yes. 24" Heatsink. That was one thing I noticed about my Ecoxotic LEDs. Me reds turned orange almost immediately. Maybe it was the combo I used. But I think that was what everyone recommended. Now, 2 weeks under these LEDs, and the reds are back and bright. Same either the turquoise in some acans. They are still dimmed a little acclimating everything to the new lights.

Nice build.

Did you go with just one 24" heatsink?

I have a 40 breeder with leds with red and cyan but my reds all turn orange. I am going to try and see what I can do following your build.

Do you have any cool blue? I think the combo of CB/DR/Cy helps a lot.

Did some quick par readings of my LEDs. 225 on the sandbed. 270 on the left rock structure and 400 on the highest rock structure on the right.

Did some quick par readings of my LEDs. 225 on the sandbed. 270 on the left rock structure and 400 on the highest rock structure on the right.

Besides the TV and OCW that comes with optics, did you put optics on the 3ups? And how close to the tank is the heatsink?

Archived