inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

You can buy a worm feeder designed for Tubifex worms which is quite cheap and should do fine. They come with a sucker to attach the glass.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WORM-CONE-FEEDER-BLOODWORM-BRINESHRIMP-TUBIFEX-/261152284496?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3ccde39f50

Nice Les but since they do not survive for long in saltwater I don't think that would be a food way, unless used in a freshwater container but then they would be so packed ...

How were you planning to use that one with the Blackworms ?

Albert

• Like 1

Well Albert as we don't get California black worms here in the UK and shipping might be a problem then unfortunately I will have to pass on the black worms. Now as you know fish quickly learn to take food from where ever you put it regular then I would imagine the worms would not have to last long for them to be consumed from the worm feeder.

Just how long would they survive in salt water I wonder if Paul can tell me? If the black worms can last 15 mins in slat water then maybe this would be long enough for the fish to get their fill of worms. Being in such a feeder should ensure they don't pollute the water and they should be able to be easily removed along with the feeder when either the fish have had their fill or you just want to remove them.

Les.

Nice Les but since they do not survive for long in saltwater I don't think that would be a food way, unless used in a freshwater container but then they would be so packed ...

How were you planning to use that one with the Blackworms ?

Albert

• Like 3
albertthiel

I will see if I can get a picture of my venture. When you build your worm keeper, put some worms in it to help cycle it.

Will do ... I just rinsed them again and got some more dead ones out but there are not that many. Of course there may be more ... it's not that easy to do ... I transferred them to another container and got rid of the ones that did not sink quickly and then changed some water and put it back in the fridge ... put a piece of cake on top of it so the wife does not see them :-0 :-0

Thanks for the pic if you can get one ...

Albert

• Like 1
Well Albert as we don't get California black worms here in the UK and shipping might be a problem then unfortunately I will have to pass on the black worms. Now as you know fish quickly learn to take food from where ever you put it regular then I would imagine the worms would not have to last long for them to be consumed from the worm feeder.

Just how long would they survive in salt water I wonder if Paul can tell me? If the black worms can last 15 mins in slat water then maybe this would be long enough for the fish to get their fill of worms. Being in such a feeder should ensure they don't pollute the water and they should be able to be easily removed along with the feeder when either the fish have had their fill or you just want to remove them.

Les.

The worm feeder seems like a good idea.

You can take the worms from your garden and chop them up they work as well.

Acans and mini nems like them.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Albert that is a lot of worms...they won't even fit in the fridge!

Sell some to Lady Gaga...she will send a jet plane for them.

Yes indeed ... 1/4 pound is a lot ... I tried to count them but gave after I got to 1500 :-)

I will send L G an email and have her send her Gulfstream over ... thanks for the suggestion :-)

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Les.

They only survive for maybe 10 15 seconds or so from what I can see and then they stop wiggling and sink, and some get caught and eaten but if not they will just mess up the water.

oddly my Lantern Basslet who is a Pig got 2 or 3 off the substrate and I don't think there were any others and if so maybe 1 or 2 ... there could not have been a lot as I did not add many to begin with and the fish went bananas to get to them especially my Banggai Cardiinal and even Magnet the Citron Goby got daring and not intimidated and gobbled a few down ...

But yes maybe that would keep them from sinking ... maybe, let's see whether Paul has tried that ...

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

The worm feeder seems like a good idea. You can take the worms from your garden and chop them up they work as well. Acans and mini nems like them.

Could be done indeed but that is a different topic really as they are much larger and are not conisdered good for fish from what I remember, but for spot feeding corals that may be an option indeed ..

Albert

You can not use that worm feeder for blackworms in salt water. They will turn to mush in 10 seconds.

I just shoot some worms in my tank with a baster and they are gone way before they hit the bottom. Some of my fish will almost jump out of the water for them. My clown gobies eat them as do my mandarins. The hermits will eat any that fall to the bottom but that rately happens as I always turn off my pumps to feed. Healthy fish will go bonkers for worms.

I am still culturing my white worm culture which is supposed to be self sustaining and they live for a day in salt water.

They are the same size as blackworms and my fish can't tell the difference but they are a pain to get out of the dirt to feed. Supposedly, when they grow to large numbers it is much easier as you put food in and they flock to the food. They do seem to eat very fast and I could feed them oatmeal every day.

They may be a good alternative for people who can't get blackworms or do not have the ability to make a keeper.

• Like 2
albertthiel

You can not use that worm feeder for blackworms in salt water. They will turn to mush in 10 seconds.

I just shoot some worms in my tank with a baster and they are gone way before they hit the bottom. Some of my fish will almost jump out of the water for them. My clown gobies eat them as do my mandarins.

The hermits will eat any that fall to the bottom but that rately happens as I always turn off my pumps to feed. Healthy fish will go bonkers for worms.

I am still culturing my white worm culture which is supposed to be self sustaining and they live for a day in salt water.

They are the same size as blackworms and my fish can't tell the difference but they are a pain to get out of the dirt to feed. Supposedly, when they grow to large numbers it is much easier as you put food in and they flock to the food. They do seem to eat very fast and I could feed them oatmeal every day.

They may be a good alternative for people who can't get blackworms or do not have the ability to make a keeper.

Yes that sounds like a plan indeed Paul ... and I am sure you'll keep us posted on the White Worms ...

Albert

I don't think it's free unless I'm misreading it.

Now this isn’t a direct swop from what we can see but those wanting to benefit from the upgrade will need to pay $249.99 plus shipping costs.
  • Like 1

Paul, do you test for phosphates in your system?

Your high nitrate readings just have me wondering about things I've been reading and I've experienced. As far as I can tell, my SPS corals don't seem to care at all about nitrates either but are much more sensitive to drops in alkalinity.

• Like 2
albertthiel

I don't think it's free unless I'm misreading it.

You are correct, it's a bit confusing as at first you get the impression it is a free swap but then as you read on ... it is not indeed

Albert

Hi! I will be feeding the PaulB Live from NY! Diet at 10 am EST/ 9 CST and broad casting it on Ustream.tv . :)

Here is the link http://www.ustream.tv/channel/myatlantis-nano-reef/theater

It is broadcasting now but you will want come back to see the fish trying to swim into the turkey baster to get at the clam and oyster mix. :D

Thank you Paul for drumming the live foods mantra into my head!! My fish, Skipper, Marty Feldman, Zig & Zag, thank you too...

• Like 5
albertthiel

Paul, do you test for phosphates in your system?

Your high nitrate readings just have me wondering about things I've been reading and I've experienced. As far as I can tell, my SPS corals don't seem to care at all about nitrates either but are much more sensitive to drops in alkalinity.

That and high phosphate levels as it weakens their skeleton and slows their growth ... Not sure if Paul tests for it though but I am sure he'll tell us ....

Albert

• Like 1

Hi! I will be feeding the PaulB Live from NY! Diet at 10 am EST/ 9 CST and broad casting it on Ustream.tv . :)

It is broadcasting now but you will want come back to see the fish trying to swim into the turkey baster to get at the clam and oyster mix. :D

Thank you Paul for drumming the live foods mantra into my head!! My fish, Skipper, Marty Feldman, Zig & Zag, thank you too...

that looks like a boat load of flow in there :)

• Like 2

that looks like a boat load of flow in there :)

That is only the stock pump :) Wait until I turn on the Koralia 240! The Monti and the Gorgs love it. :happy:

• Like 1

That is only the stock pump :) Wait until I turn on the Koralia 240! The Monti and the Gorgs love it. :happy:

Nice I was using the 240 in her fluval edge - I was a bit unimpressed overall - however I know they work very well and are not a 'blast' in smaller tanks - Combined w/ the stock pump that will be sweet

• Like 2
albertthiel

Indeed ... I bet they will that should really get that flow max out ...

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Nice I was using the 240 in her fluval edge - I was a bit unimpressed overall - however I know they work very well and are not a 'blast' in smaller tanks - Combined w/ the stock pump that will be sweet

Combined with other ones they nicely supplement them and help create real uneven flows ... I use one in my 20 in addition to a larger one that put out around 750 GPH and the 240 breaks up that flow to create non-liminar circulation ... I can see i when I add food and how it moves around in different directions ...

Albert

Albert, my blue lights are coming on.. cannot wait for the white lights. I'm thinking about ordering another quick crew from johny + a couple assorted snails from johny @ reef cleaners. I think that will be a valuable option now that this is pretty close to under control. A lot of people have told me that the regular snails dont have the mouths big/strong enough to chew through stalks of 'living' thicker type algae.. fortunately mine is not so thick anymore.. A pic will be coming here in a bit going to be like 2 hours before white lights are on

• Like 1

Indeed ... I bet they will that should really get that flow max out ...

Albert

I usually turn off the stock pump when I feed and after a little while turn on just the K 240 so that the food is not filtered out but just swirls around for a while. Hopefully that gives the food a chance at being captured and eaten by the Hammers, Frogspawn and the Gorgs. I like having the calm before the food storm. :lol:

• Like 2
albertthiel

Nice ... and you seem to be feeding quite a bit ... and nice reaction to the food from all what's in the tank ...and Skipper is always around :-o

Albert

• Like 1

Here is the link http://www.ustream.tv/channel/myatlantis-nano-reef/theater'>http://www.ustream.tv/channel/myatlantis-nano-reef/theater

well done! :)
  • Like 2

Nice ... and you seem to be feeding quite a bit ... and nice reaction to the food from all what's in the tank ...and Skipper is always around :-o

Albert

Yes the feeding reaction is really strong. I kept the juice that came out of the clams and mixed it in with the chopped oyster and clam meat. It turns the water in the feed cup really cloudy and that must be the "smell" in the water that drives everything crazy to eat.

Skipper is such a clown! :0)

• Like 2