Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Unfortunately, I have no car because I live by Union Square and parking is about $480 a month for a tiny space.

I pretty much just hit the manhattan stores on occasion. This limits me to Manhattan Aquariums, Fauna, and sometimes Pacific Aquariums. All excellent LFS for sure.

I'm just debating my stocking a lot. I'm even considering 3 Bartlett's Anthias instead of the tang, puffer, or butterfly.

I forgot you live in Manhattan, My Daughter lives there and I just went in and picked them up. I have not been in aquarium stores in manhattan in many years and if my Daughter did not live there, I would never go to Manhattan but unfortunately for me, I have to go there and will be there again tomorrow to bring them home.

• Like 1

Thanks Paul for that long overview with all those details about the Copperband Butterfly.

Great info.

Thanks... Albert

Albert, sorry for the long disertation about copperbands, sometimes my head gets filled with this stuff and I have to let it out. :blink:

• Like 2
albertthiel

Albert, sorry for the long disertation about copperbands, sometimes my head gets filled with this stuff and I have to let it out. :blink:

No need for the I am sorry Paul, we all love your posts on fish and corals and snails and worms and clams and RUGF's and Paris Hilton and all the rest too ... Keep writing ... Keep Posting .... Just don't get any Waterbears in your tank !

Thanks

Albert

• Like 2

No need for the I am sorry Paul, we all love your posts on fish and corals and snails and worms and clams and RUGF's and Paris Hilton and all the rest too ... Keep writing ... Keep Posting .... Just don't get any Waterbears in your tank !

Thanks

Albert

I wish they were bigger so I can see them, very cool creatures and so much better looking than Miss Hilton.

I mean how cool would they be if they were an inch long and how scary would they be if they were ten feet long.

• Like 1

I am converting my display tank into a frag tank and was wondering if I can take out all of my LR (5 LB in a 6 gallon) and just replace with egg crate I could put some pieces into my AC70 for now. Will there be problems?

• Like 1
albertthiel

Any idea what this white nodules stuff growing in my chaeto might be?

Also the black thing that's attached on the left.

The white ones look like Sponges (Scypha more than likely) and the Black or very dark green looks like a Bubble Algae ... probably Valonia

Albert

• Like 2
albertthiel

I wish they were bigger so I can see them, very cool creatures and so much better looking than Miss Hilton.

I mean how cool would they be if they were an inch long and how scary would they be if they were ten feet long.

Yes that is for sure ... the Super Waterbear ... !

Albert

albertthiel

I am converting my display tank into a frag tank and was wondering if I can take out all of my LR (5 LB in a 6 gallon) and just replace with egg crate I could put some pieces into my AC70 for now. Will there be problems?

Do you have sand in that tank so you still have biological filtration or are you going to rely on water changes ..

Frags need lots of flow to prevent infections and algae growth on them so you will need to make sure they have enough flow so no debris falls and remains on them either ... Not sure I would remove all the rock unless you do regular water changes ...

How many frags are you going to have in that tank if I may ask ?

Albert

• Like 1

Do you have sand in that tank so you still have biological filtration or are you going to rely on water changes ..

Frags need lots of flow to prevent infections and algae growth on them so you will need to make sure they have enough flow so no debris falls and remains on them either ... Not sure I would remove all the rock unless you do regular water changes ...

How many frags are you going to have in that tank if I may ask ?

Albert

There is probably going to be like 30 frags in there at a time. There is currently like a 1 and 1/2 inch sand bed. Water changes will be done weekly.

• Like 1
albertthiel

There is probably going to be like 30 frags in there at a time. There is currently like a 1 and 1/2 inch sand bed. Water changes will be done weekly.

Well the sandbed will help with Bio filtration but you may need to make sure that the weekly water change is enough as you may need to do it more than once a week depending on the amount of pollution that is created in the tank, and frags due create a lot of it and so monitoring the water quality will be important, and as I said real good water flow ...

Hopefully this helps but if you have more questions do not hesitate to post them here on this thread

• Like 1

I disagree and feel that humor has no place in this hobby :closedeyes:

Yes this is serious business! And if you asked Stevie he would tell ya to gfy! :)

albertthiel

Coming from you Paul that is actually "very" humorous ! ... :-o Keep the fun coming !

Albert

Yes this is serious business! And if you asked Stevie he would tell ya to gfy! :)

Not sure I get your point ...

Albert

Agreed but not only no place but no flounders, sole, dab or any other flat fish come to that.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Agreed but not only no place but no flounders, sole, dab or any other flat fish come to that.

Only Waterbears ! ... And no Dover Sole either ! :-o

Albert

awater-bear.jpg

albertthiel

GOOD NEWS : for those who have an iPhone and would like to get CORAL magazine for free .. go to the APP store and search for Coral Magazine and install it.

It is FREE for now at least ... and you can see the current issue but you can also see previous ones.

I have not found an APP for Android phones yet ... but the iPhone one is there. I DL'ed it myself to try it out as I do receive the actual Magazine in print.

Albert

• Like 1