Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

This is how it works. I frag the corals. Spend two months pampering and careing for them. You come by and spend $100. I take that $100 and buy you lunch.

My phone says the sun corals have arrived..pictures tonight Albert, although no way will they be opening up yet.

:) :) I hope the sun corals look good! Let us know.

jediben Ive never read anoxic and anaerobic to be the same thing. if they are, then its new to me. one meant without oxygen and one meant with little oxygen, so did you mean to type they were the same thing>

Here is what I would like you to consider Veng .....

Mandarinfish search for food on the bottom and will chiefly feed on small crustaceans, e.g. amphipods and isopods. They are also fond of protozoa and tiny aquatic worms.

Getting a Mandarinfish to eat in the aquarium can be tricky. Wild mandarins have an estimated life span of 10-15 years, but aquarium kept specimens will often die within 2-4 years since their keeper fails to get them to eat enough. "It is also common among aquarists to keep their mandarins on a diet that isn’t very suitable for them"

If you want to keep Mandarinfish, you should ideally wait until you have a well established aquarium with plenty of live rock because this will make it possible for the Mandarinfish to eat naturally occurring tiny animals and polyps just like it would do in the wild.

Generally speaking, the aquarium should have aged for at least six months or more before you introduce any mandarins.

I do not know what other information you received but I would be interested in knowing what it is.

Thanks.

Albert

I have been told numbers ranging from as small as 28 gallon nano cubes to as large as 100 gallon minimums. As much as I'd love to have one, I doubt I ever will as I'll never own a tank that large. I have no doubt that thousands of mandarins are killed each year when people buy them without knowing what they've bought. I have no desire to increase those statistics, or I'd have put one in my current 10 gallon a long time ago. Nearly everything when it comes to mandarains I've come across is speculative or ancidtodal, with very little definitive or well documented. I've come across very few times a mandarin was two years old and any real documentation on how they did it. Most of the success stories seem to be 100+ gallon tanks. I find that sad for as many mandrains must be sold every year.

There was a time when on paper I put together a plan for a 40B with a 30-40 gallon refugium. I realized a lot while putting it together on paper. I learned that what I really wanted from an asthetic standpoint was something the shape and size of a rimless 90, and that both options were more than I was willing to commit to the hobby. I have no doubts I could keep one alive in a mature 90, and if some day I win the lottery, I'll do it. But then again, if I win the lottery, I might just get something a little bigger.

albertthiel
jediben Ive never read anoxic and anaerobic to be the same thing. if they are, then its new to me. one meant without oxygen and one meant with little oxygen, so did you mean to type they were the same thing>

anaerobic = devoid of oxygen

anoxic = deficient or very low in oxygen

is I believe what the dictionary will tell you so they are indeed different and as I said to prevent anoxic areas from becoming anaerobic, sand stirrers are the trick ... FWIW

Edited by albertthiel
albertthiel
I have been told numbers ranging from as small as 28 gallon nano cubes to as large as 100 gallon minimums. As much as I'd love to have one, I doubt I ever will as I'll never own a tank that large. I have no doubt that thousands of mandarins are killed each year when people buy them without knowing what they've bought. I have no desire to increase those statistics, or I'd have put one in my current 10 gallon a long time ago. Nearly everything when it comes to mandarains I've come across is speculative or ancidtodal, with very little definitive or well documented. I've come across very few times a mandarin was two years old and any real documentation on how they did it. Most of the success stories seem to be 100+ gallon tanks. I find that sad for as many mandrains must be sold every year.

There was a time when on paper I put together a plan for a 40B with a 30-40 gallon refugium. I realized a lot while putting it together on paper. I learned that what I really wanted from an asthetic standpoint was something the shape and size of a rimless 90, and that both options were more than I was willing to commit to the hobby. I have no doubts I could keep one alive in a mature 90, and if some day I win the lottery, I'll do it. But then again, if I win the lottery, I might just get something a little bigger.

Veng ... that is indeed what I would hope a lot of hobbyists would live by. Thank you for stating it. Buying fish and inverts just because one likes them and then killing them off in a short period of time is not what this hobby is about.

Even advanced hobbyists practice what you describe and I am pleased they do ... we should IMO always find out as much as possible about the animals we want to keep and once we know enough and determine that we can be successful at keeping them alive then we should go ahead and buy them.

When in doubt, I would abstain even if some report success ... remember that people can write anything they want about their so called successes and we have no proof they actually did

I thank you for the decision you made. That is a healthy way of looking at the hobby.

Albert

albertthiel
Hey Albert, my pico has been up for about 19 months and I have noticed my sanded is becoming very dark on one side of my tank. I was wondering if this is something I should be worried about and if so what should I do. Here is a quick picture of what I'm talking about, hopefully you see what I mean. Thanks.

62541a0f.jpg

Once you clean up the black areas that in all likelihood are anaerobic, I suggest you get a lot of sand stirrers to prevent this from happening again. FWIW

Albert

Thanks for all the updates and what an interesting behavior of the pipes stealing the clown's eggs and the clowns not reacting to it. I would have expected them to make at least an effort but IME those pipes can be so fast that they dash in and out before the clowns can do much and they'll want to stay around the eggs to protect whatever is left ... did this happen more than one time or was this an isolated event I wonder.

Les ... yes please to check if he is still around. I have an email for him and I'll try to send him a message.

Also thanks for all the pics ... and you have a great day

Just home from working a shift.

The amazing thing with the pipefish is it just took it time and lay there gorging itself on the clowns eggs as if sitting down to dinner. The female clown was angry and wafted its tail at the pipefish but the pipefish took no notice and carried on feeding on the eggs without a care in the world. I only ever witnessed this amazing event the one time but of course it could have happened before or after.

albertthiel
Just home from working a shift.

The amazing thing with the pipefish is it just took it time and lay there gorging itself on the clowns eggs as if sitting down to dinner. The female clown was angry and wafted its tail at the pipefish but the pipefish took no notice and carried on feeding on the eggs without a care in the world. I only ever witnessed this amazing event the one time but of course it could have happened before or after.

As you say it could have happened quite a few times before and you may not have seen it ... pity you could not put it on video that would have been super.

BTW I found Andy's email and have been corresponding back and forth with him and currently he is not in the hobby ... he is into horses and mountain biking :0

Thanks for the update Les

As you say it could have happened quite a few times before and you may not have seen it ... pity you could not put it on video that would have been super.

BTW I found Andy's email and have been corresponding back and forth with him and currently he is not in the hobby ... he is into horses and mountain biking :0

Thanks for the update Les

Your welcome Albert,

I find it a little strange that people so engrossed in this wonderful hobby of our and even at the forefront of research and inovation just give it up and move onto something else. I guess this kind of applies to you if you don't mind me saying so as well Albert. For so long, people move on and life changes. When I have given up its because either of personal circumstances, change of house, work or whatever but I have never been out of it for more than a couple of years or so at a time. My interest however has never really wained and the lure of it has always pulled me back to it. I wonder what it was that got you back into it?

albertthiel

Since so many hobbyists seem to keep clowns in their aquariums, I thought I would post some pictures of some unusual and some not so unusual ones ...

Clown with Yellow Stripes from the Philippines

clownyellowstripe.png

Clown Very Special ... A Zeph morph :0

clownzephspecial.png

Clown with broken stripe

clownbrokenstripe.png

Clown Frenatus

clownfrenatus.png

Clown Lightning

clownlightning.png

Clown Ocellaris Philippines

clownocellarisphilippines.png

Clown Percula Unusual looking

clownperculaunusual.png

Clown Picasso

clownypicasso.png

Clown with Premnas looking features

clownpremnasunusual.png

Clown Saddleback

clownysaddleback.png

Clown Spotted Maroon

clownspottedmaroon.png

Clown Tomato Hybrid

clowntomatohybrid.png

Clown Trigger ... oops different type of Clown :0

clowntrigger.png

Clown All Black ... very unusual ...

clownallblack.png

Clown Black

clownblack.png

Clown Black with White

clownblackwhite.png

If anyone has any really special looking clowns feel free to post them to this thread. Thanks

Albert

albertthiel
Your welcome Albert,

I find it a little strange that people so engrossed in this wonderful hobby of our and even at the forefront of research and inovation just give it up and move onto something else. I guess this kind of applies to you if you don't mind me saying so as well Albert. For so long, people move on and life changes. When I have given up its because either of personal circumstances, change of house, work or whatever but I have never been out of it for more than a couple of years or so at a time. My interest however has never really wained and the lure of it has always pulled me back to it. I wonder what it was that got you back into it?

Well it's an interesting story ... I had been thinking of setting up a tank again, a small one but sort of did not get around to it. Then one day not too long ago, Kat found me on Facebook and got hold of me and basically gave me that extra notch that I needed to get back into it ... Thanks KAT ...

She then suggested that I should join the forum and after taking a look at it I decided to do so. That was the beginning ...

A few days later Zeph came up with the idea that maybe we should set up this thread, and since I was not all that familiar with what can be done on the forum Zeph created the thread for me ... and I guess the rest sort of is self evident ....

Of course being on the forum was the last kick I needed to get to set up a small tank and run it as naturally as possible, using as few implements and add-ons as possible. Then came the Petco $1 per gallon content sale and so I got a 20 Long and a 20 high ... I set up the 20 High as the actual tank (because of space available) and am going to use the 20 long to set up a sump and fuge but that will be later on when the 20 H is running and populated.

Right now you now where I am at with the tank as I have posted updates (the last one was around noon or so sometime).

The cycle is still not complete so I cannot really start putting anything in the tank but it looks like the 20 will be ready real soon ... and then the fun begins ... right ?

So that is the story ... and I am sticking to it :0

Albert

Platinum Clownfish.

platinum1.jpg

Just beautiful aren't they ... love them ... I also have a pic of some of the hybrids that Dr. Sanjay Joshi bred but I have to find it and I'll post it when I do .... the ones you posted are super looking ... Thanks

Well it's an interesting story ... I had been thinking of setting up a tank again, a small one but sort of did not get around to it. Then one day not too long ago, Kat found me on Facebook and got hold of me and basically gave me that extra notch that I needed to get back into it ... Thanks KAT ...

She then suggested that I should join the forum and after taking a look at it I decided to do so. That was the beginning ...

A few days later Zeph came up with the idea that maybe we should set up this thread, and since I was not all that familiar with what can be done on the forum Zeph created the thread for me ... and I guess the rest sort of is self evident ....

Of course being on the forum was the last kick I needed to get to set up a small tank and run it as naturally as possible, using as few implements and add-ons as possible. Then came the Petco $1 per gallon content sale and so I got a 20 Long and a 20 high ... I set up the 20 High as the actual tank (because of space available) and am going to use the 20 long to set up a sump and fuge but that will be later on when the 20 H is running and populated.

Right now you now where I am at with the tank as I have posted updates (the last one was around noon or so sometime).

The cycle is still not complete so I cannot really start putting anything in the tank but it looks like the 20 will be ready real soon ... and then the fun begins ... right ?

So that is the story ... and I am sticking to it :0

Albert

I believe you. ;) ................................. thousands wouldn't :lol:

Just beautiful aren't they ... love them ... I also have a pic of some of the hybrids that Dr. Sanjay Joshi bred but I have to find it and I'll post it when I do .... the ones you posted are super looking ... Thanks

To be perfectly honest they are not my cup of tea. FWIW and IMO you simply can't beat nature and a stunning pair of Ausi Perc's. I think man should leave such things up to mother nature she does such a wonderful job without any help from man but each to their own. :)

albertthiel
I believe you. ;) ................................. thousands wouldn't :lol:

--------

To be perfectly honest they are not my cup of tea. FWIW and IMO you simply can't beat nature and a stunning pair of Ausi Perc's. I think man should leave such things up to mother nature she does such a wonderful job without any help from man but each to their own. :)

I guess there will be differing opinions about the cross breeding Les ... if that had not been done we would for instance not have all the dog kinds we have nowadays ... :0

And how do we know that it does not happen in nature too ... look at some of the Clowns that come from the Philippine area and yes some may be as a result of cross breeding but then how do we know for sure that some are not morphs that came about naturally ....

Albert

Once you clean up the black areas that in all likelihood are anaerobic, I suggest you get a lot of sand stirrers to prevent this from happening again. FWIW

Albert

What ind of sand stirrers do you suggest for my tank? I have a nasarius snail but I am wondering why other types of sand stirrers you suggest?

albertthiel
What ind of sand stirrers do you suggest for my tank? I have a nasarius snail but I am wondering why other types of sand stirrers you suggest?

Certain crab, snails, brittle stars and many others but here is a good link where you can find links to many pictures and that lists a number of them ...

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=22197

It has a large number of choices for you ....

Let me know in case you have more questions ... .

Albert

Since so many hobbyists seem to keep clowns in their aquariums, I thought I would post some pictures of some unusual and some not so unusual ones ...

Clown with Yellow Stripes from the Philippines

clownyellowstripe.png

Clown Very Special ... A Zeph morph :0

clownzephspecial.png

Clown with broken stripe

clownbrokenstripe.png

Clown Frenatus

clownfrenatus.png

Clown Lightning

clownlightning.png

Clown Ocellaris Philippines

clownocellarisphilippines.png

Clown Percula Unusual looking

clownperculaunusual.png

Clown Picasso

clownypicasso.png

Clown with Premnas looking features

clownpremnasunusual.png

Clown Saddleback

clownysaddleback.png

Clown Spotted Maroon

clownspottedmaroon.png

Clown Tomato Hybrid

clowntomatohybrid.png

Clown Trigger ... oops different type of Clown :0

clowntrigger.png

Clown All Black ... very unusual ...

clownallblack.png

Clown Black

clownblack.png

Clown Black with White

clownblackwhite.png

If anyone has any really special looking clowns feel free to post them to this thread. Thanks

Albert

Here are a couple of pictures of my clown Fette.

Sold as Onyx Misbar Clownfish. I do believe it is a Perc correct?

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Shes about 3 inches long and cute as ever. Love her colors

Also..while im posting this I have a question / concern about her. You can barely see it in the 2nd photo, but on her chin is a little whitish tuft.. almost like a little beard lol.

Is this common or should I be worried about it being a parasite? She does act fine and it doesnt seem to bother her.

Any insight on this would really be helpful!

Also..while im posting this I have a question / concern about her. You can barely see it in the 2nd photo, but on her chin is a little whitish tuft.. almost like a little beard lol.

Is this common or should I be worried about it being a parasite? She does act fine and it doesnt seem to bother her.

Could very well be an early fungus infection, which often occurs around the mouth. If it gets even the slightest bit larger, or her breathig rate increases you need to QT fast. Lets see what Albert has to say.

albertthiel
Here are a couple of pictures of my clown Fette.

Sold as Onyx Misbar Clownfish. I do believe it is a Perc correct?

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Shes about 3 inches long and cute as ever. Love her colors

Yes I agree with Zeph that it could be bacterial or a fungal disease or the start of Brooklynellosis

Suggested Treatment:

Move the fish to a quarantine tank, and begin treatment Quick Cure (a combination of formalin and malachite green sold to treat ich and crypt, and available at almost every pet store) at standard marine dose as directed.

If it is fungal or bacterial Quick Cure or a similar product should work ... follow the directions on the label of whatever you buy, it's important to start as soon as possible.

But before doing so take a good look at that spot to make sure that it is white fluff or similar ....

Let us know what you find out.

And yes it does look like a Perc

Albert

Edit added : here is what the Fish Channel has to day about Brooklynellosis

Infected aquarium fish develop patches of white slime on their bodies indicative of abnormally high mucus production. Affected fish are also likely to exhibit heavy or labored breathing, lethargy, disinterest in fish food, and abnormal, usually subdued, coloration. Brooklynellosis can progress extremely quickly, and infected aquarium fish can be dead within a few days of the first visible symptoms.

Brooklynellosis produces symptoms very similar to those of fish infected by another protozoan parasite of the skin known as Uronema marinum. Distinguishing between the two infections requires examination of skin tissue under a microscope, but fish infected with Uronema marinum frequently develop bloody sores beneath the patches of slime.

Pathology

Brooklynellosis is caused by a protozoan parasite called Brooklynella hostilis. This parasite kills and eats the epidermal cells, including those of the skin, fins and gill membranes of the fish. By damaging the skin brooklynellosis causes dehydration as fluids are lost through the skin to the surrounding seawater, and as the gills become increasingly damaged the aquarium fish finds it more and more difficult to breathe. Eventually the host fish dies.

Life Cycle

Like many other protozoan parasites, Brooklynella has a two-part life cycle that includes a free-swimming stage and a feeding stage. However, the feeding stage is unusual in that the parasites are able to multiply asexually through binary fission. Once established on a host aquarium fish, Brooklynella populations can increase extremely rapidly, which is why prompt diagnosis and treatment of the fish is so important.

Treatment

Formalin is the preferred medication for treating brooklynellosis, and may be used on the aquarium fish either as a dip or a continual bath. “Saturated formalin” is used, a 37 to 40 percent solution of formaldehyde in water.

Formalin will kill saltwater aquarium invertebrates and algae, so it cannot be used in a reef aquarium. Formalin also displaces oxygen from water, so supplementary aeration of the water will be required in the quarantine aquarium.

Treatment dips are normally performed daily for 5 days. Dosage, duration and frequency should be described by the manufacturer and may vary slightly between brands. But the required concentration of formalin is 200 mg/l, or 2 ml of 37 to 40 percent formalin per 2.6 gallons (10 liters) of seawater. Treatment dips last 30 to 60 minutes, though the aquarium fish should be removed immediately should it show signs of severe distress, such as rolling onto its side. Some aquarium fish react negatively to formalin dips (including surgeonfish, tangs and butterflyfish), in which case half-doses should be used instead. Once dipped, the aquarium fish should be placed in the quarantine aquarium and observed.

If used as a continual bath, formalin needs to be added to the quarantine aquarium at the dose recommended by the manufacturer. The aquarium fish will need to be held in the aquarium for at least 7 days. Reduced salinity (hyposalinity) is beneficial, but otherwise environmental parameters, particularly pH and temperature, should be similar to those of the display aquarium.

Because brooklynellosis causes damage to the skin, there is value to using medications that boost or replace the slime coat of the aquarium fish after the formalin treatment is concluded. Damage to the skin may allow secondary infections to develop, so the use of a broad spectrum antibiotic in the quarantine tank is useful, especially following severe infections.

Treating Reef Aquariums

Brooklynellosis cannot be adequately treated in reef aquarium situations because formalin is highly toxic to saltwater aquarium invertebrates. Infected aquarium fish must be removed to a quarantine tank for treatment either in situ or through dipping.

Prevention

Despite being known as clownfish disease, brooklynellosis is no longer all that commonly seen on clownfish. The reason for this is that it is primarily wild-caught clownfish that suffer from the disease, and brooklynellosis is hardly ever seen on captive-bred clownfish maintained by retailers or hobbyists that use appropriate quarantining and disease-control methods. One of the best ways to avoid brooklynellosis is to buy properly maintained captive-bred aquarium livestock.

New aquarium livestock should receive a freshwater dip and then be quarantined for 2 to 4 weeks before being placed in the display aquarium. Removing infected fish from reef aquariums is very difficult, often impossible, making timely treatment difficult. By quarantining new aquarium livestock and then treating them as required, only healthy aquarium livestock will be introduced to the reef aquarium.

Edited by albertthiel

Hi Albert . . . quick question. Is my Maxima clam a goner? Came home and noticed he had tipped over.

Went to right him and didn't realize he had started to put out 'those tendon like things' to begin attaching to the LR. They became very loose when I reset him. Will he put out new threads to reattach? He's still very reactive/skittish to shadows, clowns swimming by, etc. He is 2.5 inches and I've had him a week. He has moved around a bit but I believe he's finally found his spot. Any info you can pass along would be great. Thank you very much. W-

albertthiel
By reqeust, I am linking my thread that is over at the ID forum. Visit My Website

Here is my creature without a name:

Strange062512locationFoot.jpg

I hope some day that we can identify this animal.

Still trying to figure that one out belsenj ... Maybe someone on this thread can help as well ...

I will keep searching though ... we thought of various ID's but none seemed to fit so finding the ID remains to be discovered

Albert

Hi Albert . . . quick question. Is my Maxima clam a goner? Came home and noticed he had tipped over.

Went to right him and didn't realize he had started to put out 'those tendon like things' to begin attaching to the LR. They became very loose when I reset him. Will he put out new threads to reattach? He's still very reactive/skittish to shadows, clowns swimming by, etc. He is 2.5 inches and I've had him a week. He has moved around a bit but I believe he's finally found his spot. Any info you can pass along would be great. Thank you very much. W-

Sounds like the byssal gland you are talking about, the filaments at the base right ...

Not sure that it is a goner as it may not be damaged to the point that it will not survive but it would be a good idea to post a picture or two or even three so we can see what is going on and since Zeph who is the Clam guru on the thread here will see it as well he will be able to give us his opinion as well ...

So pictures please ... thanks

Albert

albertthiel

belsenj

Take a look at this link which shows a large number of ascidians and have a look whether what you have appears on this page and let me know .. you may not see the exact same one but something that looks close.

Let me know if you think that it could be an ascidian maybe

http://images.google.com/search?tbm=isch&a...00&bih=1016

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
  • Like 1
albertthiel

Below is a picture of the Photon Clowns (2009 off spring by © Dr Sanjay Joshi )

clownphotonsanjay.png

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
  • Like 1