ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Yep, just to confirm, those are the dead pieces, and the skeleton is green (not too clear).

There's definitely very little info about this at the moment, but will update my progress if I do encounter it.

I can definitely confirm, that fragging it correctly, on unaffected tissue, is successful. Also, have tried a cephalexin dip. Can't say if it helped, it definitely didn't worsen, for sure.

So the inside of the skeleton is green also is what you are saying which was what you originally found that this particular algae does ...

Now the point also came up as to whether it spreads .. do you have any info on that? Did it spread to other SPS corals in your tank ?

Thanks for the update, and if I find more info I'll post it and I am sure Christine will do the same.

Albert

Yep. The external skeleton is definitely green. The cross-section is still whitish.

I will report back on if it is contagious or not. They're currently placed in my drop-off tank, with very few other sps, since I didn't want to risk it. I have a couple frags of the same coral, that seem to be doing well, but just can't get myself to risk placing it into my main Zeo display.

Will update as I learn.

Thanks! :D

Yep. The external skeleton is definitely green. The cross-section is still whitish.

I will report back on if it is contagious or not. They're currently placed in my drop-off tank, with very few other sps, since I didn't want to risk it. I have a couple frags of the same coral, that seem to be doing well, but just can't get myself to risk placing it into my main Zeo display.

Will update as I learn.

Thanks!

Appreciate it Bello as I am sure there are other readers who are interested in finding out more about this boring algae and its effect on other corals once its gets hold on one.

Now , do I remember correctly that it does not start unless the affected corals has either STN or RTN ... or does it attack even healthy SPS's.

I think you did post it but I can't locate it ... thanks

Albert

Unfortunately, it seems that it attacks even healthy SPS. So far, mainly acropora.

Worst part is, its not easy to make out that they are infected. Especially, if the coral in question is green.

Unfortunately, it seems that it attacks even healthy SPS. So far, mainly acropora.

Worst part is, its not easy to make out that they are infected. Especially, if the coral in question is green.

Thanks for that clarification .. and yes if the coral is green to begin with it would be very hard if not impossible to determine whether it is affected.

On others though you say that it is hard to determine it on those as well ... I guess it must start off as a very small area that is hard to see, and then spread, and once that happens it is more than likely too late already to save the coral since the methods you tried to eradicate it did not work.

I wonder whether dips in a very weak solution of an algaecide would work ... e.g. weak solutions of Barley Straw or some other algaecide diluted very heavily and then tried out at a stronger dose (not much) if the real weak one does not work, and increasing the dosage slowly to determine whether it has any effect. Another one would be Algaefix from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.

Just thinking, not saying that it will work

Albert

Edited by albertthiel
Your thread grows so fast!!!! :lol: I'm seven pages behind!!!!! That's one crazy cool looking urchin. I love the color!!!!

Yes Gena it does indeed, between what I add as informational material, and posts by members and my responses the pages seem to go up at least by 1 every day and sometimes a little more even.

Isn't that some Urchin indeed, and as you say "what a color" !

Wish I could get one but I am not sure that it would do well in an aquarium.

Here is some more information on it :

http://echinoblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/hol...ough-world.html

Albert

Building a Small Scale Propagation System – Or so I thought!

© by James Curry & reefs magazine

This is a 3 part article by James Curry, and the links to the 3 parts are listed below :

prop1.png

prop2.png

Part 1 : http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-m...ames-curry.html

Part 2 : http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-m...ion-system.html

Part 3 : http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-m...n-part-iii.html

Albert

Les : we have gas which is fuel like gas-oline, we just abbreviate it and then we have natural gas (the actual non liquid one) which is indeed what most people use for heating their water ...

Albert I am glad you cleared that up, those Brits talk funny.

Up until 2 years ago I heated my house with oil like many homes in New York do. I recently changed to gas (no, not gasoline or petrol)

My tank looks more like this now. It has changed a little in 41 years but I didn't change at all.

I can't get the whole tank in the picture because it is 6' wide and only 14" high

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

And a video if you are interested. I turned off the pumps for this video because it kept going out of focus and giving me a headache. If you want to see how it looks with the pumps on, just move your head from side to side.

th_MVI_2130.jpg

Edited by Paul.b
Thanks for the update on that post that you link to, and the pic you added (see below):

boringalgae.jpg

I have to assume, since you do not specify it, that those are pieces of the coral after it died off and that show the boring algae on and in its skeleton correct ... ?

I have searched for more information on that algae but have not been able to find anything except some research articles that I could not access unless I purchased them and the price was pretty hefty (over $100) and I think that with more research I and others can probably find articles that are not research papers (that may not even have the answers or information we are looking for).

Not sure whether Christine found anything but if she did I imagine she would have posted it.

Albert

I think in order for this to be confirmed as boring algae you would have to see a thick cross section of coral that shows the living algae deep inside the skeleton. This may be the case here but all I see is algae covering the outside of the coral skeleton. This is quite common when coral dies.

Christine

Will update as I learn.

Thanks! :D

Yes algae is contagious :)

If the inner skeleton is white, it is not boring algae.

I think one would have to see algae grow on healthy coral, eat it's way through the tissue and into the skeleton, to be considered invasive in nature.

More likely the tissue dies for other reasons, the algae moves in on an otherwise defenceless coral, consumes any remaining underlying tissue in the dermis, then thrives off nutrients and light.

I still need to be convinced that algae can overtake a healthy coral tip when in a suitable environment.

Up until 2 years ago I heated my house with oil like many homes in New York do. I recently changed to gas (no, not gasoline or petrol)

My tank looks more like this now. It has changed a little in 41 years but I didn't change at all.

I can't get the whole tank in the picture because it is 6' wide and only 14" high

And a video if you are interested. I turned off the pumps for this video because it kept going out of focus and giving me a headache. If you want to see how it looks with the pumps on, just move your head from side to side.

Yes, they do don't they ... they have lifts and we have elevators, and not sure you know what they call cigarettes but I can post that here ... and of course they still don't like the decimal system :-)

Wow that was quite some video and you sure have some interesting fish in there, including a whole lot that others would think would eat your corals .. but in a large tank one can often get away with that IME.

I did move my head from side to side to see what would happen but I got dizzy :-0 Just kidding

Love the corals in there too and that Mandarin looks in great shape !

On the gas or petrol or fuel or gasoline ... well we'll leave that alone for now ...

-> Here's an FTS of my 20 Gallon taken a little while ago today :

fts1107.png

Albert

Beware of Rubbermaid Trash Cans

This was posted by Eric Borneman on another forum and may be of interest to you

181912_300.png

Link :

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic101230.aspx

Albert

I have read/heard this before, which is why I make my 16 yo son dip in it for 15 minutes prior to each date.

Seriously, there is still some debate over this and other plastic containers, yet many people use these, inculding me.

I think in order for this to be confirmed as boring algae you would have to see a thick cross section of coral that shows the living algae deep inside the skeleton. This may be the case here but all I see is algae covering the outside of the coral skeleton. This is quite common when coral dies.

------

Yes algae is contagious :)

If the inner skeleton is white, it is not boring algae.

Yes if Bello still has the frags he showed in the picture he could break them up and take pics of the inside so we can see whether the algae was indeed a boring one or not.

And on the algae affecting healthy corals I am with you on that, but if the coral has already started to get some dying tissue in an area then the algae may be able to get hold on those and make matters worse and lead to tissue necrosis in those areas IMO, but if it is still totally healthy, I do not know, seems unlikely but then we know little about that algae.

Would like to see pics of the inside of those frags though and I am sure you would too, maybe Bello can post some so we can the evidence that it did bore into the skeleton.

As to the algae being contagious, I would say that if other corals are showing necrosis that it may get hold there too as I think that is what you are suggesting.

Albert

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

th_MVI_2130.jpg

Where's the beer can and or bottle?????

Albert,

This tank is full now, upgrade time soon ;)

Looks like things are thriving.

Christine

Thanks Christine and yes it does look quite full indeed. I was in fact thinking the same thing as I took the picture as when all the corals are nicely extended there seems to be little space left to put anything else without it being too close to another coral.

I have already had to move some at the bottom further apart as the Duncan has been stinging the Candy Cane, and it does not like it one bit ...

Guess one of these days it will be time for a larger one but being busy with writing I don't see myself doing it before the new book is completed.

I appreciate the kind words. I'll post some close up pics later this afternoon.

Albert

I have read/heard this before, which is why I make my 16 yo son dip in it for 15 minutes prior to each date.

Seriously, there is still some debate over this and other plastic containers, yet many people use these, inculding me.

Possible Mark, I am not saying that I agree with it. I only posted the article by Eric as information that is out there and it may very well be that after it has been cleaned and rinsed out etc .. that it is safe to use ...

I used them a long time ago and did rinse them with water with muriatic acid added to it and let it stand for a day or two and then rinsed it out properly and never had any issues with them.

So not sure what to say ... perhaps if the water is not in it for a long time nothing untoward happens to it, but if it is let standing for a long time maybe it does leach compounds in that water, but to be sure one would have to run tests on it that we do not have the equipment for.

So all I can say if one gets a new one, clean it out well and may fill it and let it stand overnight and then rinse again before using it to store RO/DI or saltwater used for water changes.

Then again that may not be necessary as perhaps the ones that are available nowadays have been treated by the manufacturer before shipping them out ... who knows ...

FWIW

Albert

Where's the beer can and or bottle?????

Yes ... right ... where indeed ... and the shipwreck and other goodies that are in the tank

Just kidding Paul ...

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

I like those butterfly fish Paul!

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

th_MVI_2130.jpg

A Few Pictures of My Tank Today .. including an FTS

Magnet stuck to the front pane

citron1107.png

Duncan with what looks like another new Head appearing

duncan1107.png

Fire and Ice ... having added a few since I got it from Maria

fire1107.png

Kenya that came from dling that has grown since I got it

kenya1107.png

Tow headed leather that keeps leaning more and more forward on that top bridging piece of rock and which I may have to move backwards before it drops by rotating the rock a bit

leather1107.png

And a full tank view and as Christine pointed out, tank is getting a little full ...

fts1107.png

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Thanks, many of my fish were hiding for that video, there are 5 (I think) gobies and a blue stripe pipefish along with two mandarins and a scooter bleeny and a few more clown gobies.

Our electric went out again but now it is back on. I doubt it will stay on all night and now it is cold. It has been snowing fairly hard now and we have about 4" already.

This is when it just started. Of course the problem is that the trees still have leaves on them which makes this heavy snow bring down the limbs. There are still many large trees laying on power lines from the hurricane and this will make some of them to heavy for the wires and they will take them down.

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

Edited by Paul.b