Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I have all of those except for leather and duncan. Are duncans easy to take care of.

Oh and i have a kenya tree, a couple mushrooms, trumept coral, and green star polyps. I wait a while before putting them in.

Looks like for a small tank you already have quite a few corals in your tank then. Any fish ?

Yes Duncan is easy but does require good water quality or it will not put its tentacles out or only very short ones.

With everything you have, I agree that you may have to wait a little.

What kind of filtration do you have on that tank?

Let me know will you

Albert

ahh i dont know what filtration and yes i have one striped damsel and a little goby.

Sounds to me like you have a heavy load already so I would be very careful adding anything more as you may end up with tank overload.

I do not understand your statement about filtration ... how are you keeping the water quality up now? Do you have an AIO tank or do you have an HOB filter and maybe an HOB skimmer and what chemical filtration are you using, and what is taking care of your mechanical filtration currently.

Also what are your water quality parameters right now and what kind of light do you have over that tank of yours.

More details would help understanding how the tank is set up, which in turns would help in answering your question about what you can add.

Let us know ... thanks

Albert

I dont know much but ill ask my dad i know i have pc lights though. RIght now all my fish and corals are doing great.

Sound ok gobyguy123.

just update us when you know and do post some pictures of the tank so we can see what it looks like.

Thanks

Albert

From Joe Jaworski’s Weblog

The Late, Great, Mechanical Filter Debate

© Joe Jaworski

A interesting article on Mechanical filtration and what the Author found in his filter socks when he looked at what he found in them, and put some samples of what he found under a microscope to determine what was actually trapped in the filters

LINK:

http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2008/07/1...-filter-debate/

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Fire and Ice from Maria this evening :

Looking good I would say ....

fire0904.png

Did not take any other pics today ...

Update tomorrow

Albert

Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium

© Randy Holmes-Farley and reefkeeping.com

The phosphorus atom is one of living matter's basic building blocks. It is present in every living creature and in every reef aquarium's water.

Unfortunately, it is often present in excess in reef aquaria, and that excess has the potential to cause at least two substantial problems for reefkeepers.

The first is that phosphate is often a limiting nutrient for algae growth, so when elevated it can permit excessive growth of undesirable algae. The second is that it can directly inhibit calcification by corals and coralline algae.

Because most reefkeepers don't want either of these things to happen, they strive to keep phosphorus levels under control. Fortunately, there are several effective ways to keep phosphorus concentrations at acceptable levels.

What these methods are, and what are appropriate goals for reef aquarium phosphate concentrations will be addressed in this article.

LINK:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php

A very interesting article on Phosphates indeed with methods on how to control Phosphates in our aquariums and Reefs.

Albert

Corals (and a Sponge) Offered by Liquid Den Custom Aquariums

© Liquid Den Custom Aquariums

Below are a series of Liquid Den Custom Aquariums Corals which can be found (and a lot more of them) on:

http://www.facebook.com/LiquidDenCustomAquariums

Bleeding%20Sour%20Apple%20Scolymia.png

blue%20austrailomusa.png

blue.png

bluemintchocolatechipchalice.png

bluestaghorn.png

GiantOrangeSponge.png

NEONGREENSLIMERCHALICE.png

pinkbirdsnestgreentips.png

You can view more of what they have to offer on their FB page listed in the link at the beginning of this post.

Note that I am not associated with them and that these pictures are for your enjoyment and information.

Albert

Leather that was Damaged when it fell on a Yuma

Update

Looks like the damage inflicted by the R. yuma when the Leather was knocked off its live rock position by a snail, even though the Leather was glued down with CG Gel, and fell down, has just about healed.

Below are pictures of what the damage looked like on the morning I discovered the Leather upside down on the bottom of the tank with one of its sides touching a rather large Yuma, and what it looks this morning after the lights have been on for about 2 hours:

leatherdamage.png

leatherone0905.png

It mostly healed by itself over a period of less than two weeks or so, although I did rub a little powdered Vitamin C (pure powdered - no additives) on the damaged area, with the Leather out of the water for about 45 seconds to let the Vitamin C remain on the damaged area.

I have used that method in the past to heal damaged areas on the base of Leather corals, and as far as I can remember in each case it did the job and helped the Leather Coral heal.

Not saying that this is what you should do, just pointing out what worked for me, this time and many years ago when I was a manufacturer/resellers in the 80's and 90's up to 1996.

Also rescued yet another snail this morning which had crawled out and fell behind the tank. Not sure how long it had been there. Could have been quite a few hours or much longer.

Guess I am going to figure out a way to put a cover on the tank, even with the HOB filter and the HOB skimmer that make it a little more difficult to make one up.

Put it back in the tank after checking it to see whether it was "closed", and within seconds it was moving and crawling up the glass.

Amazing in a way how resilient those Snails are and how they can protect themselves to keep moisture inside by closing their "trap door" (operculum - a door-like anatomical structure) to protect themselves from the outside environment and conserve water on the inside.

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

Orvel Ray Wilson's amazing Coral Reef Salt Water Aquarium Tour

A very nice Video on Ray's large Reef Aquarium with a very large number of corals and fish and just about anything else you can think of.

Quite long but as usual you can fast forward to see the sections you are interested in.

© Orvel Ray Wilson

LINK:

Great to watch

Albert

Always good to hear of damaged corals healing as so often damage can be the demise of the coral. I have used weak solutions of iodine to bath corals suffering with bacteria problems. Iodine dips are also good to remove pests from corals esp the coral eating types which prey on some soft corals.

On another note Albert. What do you think of keeping the orange ball fan and branching sponges. Not sure they are all the same species or different as I have never tried to keep them but hear some have done successfully? I note the branching type in your pic's above and if my memory serves me right they originate from the Caribbean mainly

Always good to hear of damaged corals healing as so often damage can be the demise of the coral. I have used weak solutions of iodine to bath corals suffering with bacteria problems.

Iodine dips are also good to remove pests from corals esp the coral eating types which prey on some soft corals.

On another note Albert. What do you think of keeping the orange ball fan and branching sponges.

Not sure they are all the same species or different as I have never tried to keep them but hear some have done successfully?

I note the branching type in your pic's above and if my memory serves me right they originate from the Caribbean mainly

Yes of course I do agree with you, and I think that the key to healing a coral or invert is tied to as early as possible an intervention to cure them, and of course using the right compound to do so when dipping or treating in some other fashion, like placing them in a QT tank for longer type treatments with whatever is best to treat the damage that needs to be dealt with.

Sometimes that may be iodine as you mention, or a different type of compound or product, e.g. Vitamin C as I used for the Leather coral, but there are so many more that can be used.

Which one is likely to produce the best results depends on the damage or what is being treated, and to figure that out hobbyists need to do research first and not just decide off the bat what they think is best because they read it somewhere, as a lot of information can be erroneous or just based on a personal experience of one hobbyist and may not work for everyone.

The more one knows and the more research one does IMO, the better equipped one is to treat whatever the problem is.

Unfortunately that does not seem to happen enough, or the hobbyist waits far too long before starting a treatment, and by the time they decide to do so, it may be too late and the coral or invert, or even fish, may be too far gone to be able to save it and heal it.

In addition they may be using the wrong treatment and lose the coral, or whatever they are treating anyway, and unfortunately so.

I guess it comes down to the cliche; "Knowledge is Power".

Sponges, Fans, and similar life forms are a whole other topic and IMO, unless one is an experienced hobbyist, and is maintaining a top water quality tank that is geared to keeping those type of life forms I would hesitate to recommend that they do so.

Sea Fans are like soft corals but do not attach themselves to hard surfaces in most cases, but need a sandy bottom, and sometimes a very thick one, high water flow to bring nutrients by them so their tiny tentacles can capture food particles during the night most of the time for most of them, and require plankton in the tank to feed on (size depending on what Fan it is).

They are IMO not for the beginner but do make real nice additions to the tank if the conditions they need can be met.

Here is a link to the Orange Tree Gorgonian (and yes it is found in the Caribbean amongst other places)

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/marine-...tia-exserta.htm

There are so many types that it is hard to cover their individual requirements in one post, but I will try and find some good articles by reputable authors on them and post them to this thread.

On sponges:

Sponges, Phylum Porifera

By Robert Toonen, Ph.D.

It is becoming ever more common for retailers and hobbyists alike to be careful during the transport and acclimation of these animals to new homes, and with increasing knowledge should come increasing rates of success.

Hopefully, with a bit more fore- thought and knowledge about these amazing animals our success rate with sponges will continue to increase in years to come.

Link to a real good article: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/4/inverts by R. Toonen, Ph.D.

Not easy to keep in aquariums, and a number of issues with them during transport and when they get stressed have been identified and are covered in the article. In fact if I remember correctly you pointed that out in a post you made quite some time ago.

I am sure there are other good articles, and when I come across one or more, I'll post some links to them.

Thanks for the post and the input and questions.

Albert

From Joe Jaworski’s Weblog

The Late, Great, Mechanical Filter Debate

© Joe Jaworski

A interesting article on Mechanical filtration and what the Author found in his filter socks when he looked at what he found in them, and put some samples of what he found under a microscope to determine what was actually trapped in the filters

LINK:

http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2008/07/1...-filter-debate/

Albert

Albert, this article confirms what I have visually seen using a similar system as described, the Berlin method with a 300 micron sock. My sock literally needs to be replaced every day due to it clogging up and no longer allowing water to flow through it. Amazing since I have a low bio load. Most of the contents of the sock are algae, green/brown in colour, and detritus. I simply cant believe how much is filtered out of the water column on a daily basis. If this algae and detritus were left to circulate and settle in my aquarium, it would be a mess. Without the sock I am sure my skimmer would catch some of it, but not all of it. The use of filter socks may be the simplest way to reduce algae, and possibly other common issues, in the reef aquarium over the long term.

Thanks for posting this article Albert.

Christine

Albert, this article confirms what I have visually seen using a similar system as described, the Berlin method with a 300 micron sock.

My sock literally needs to be replaced every day due to it clogging up and no longer allowing water to flow through it. Amazing since I have a low bio load. Most of the contents of the sock are algae, green/brown in colour, and detritus.

I simply cant believe how much is filtered out of the water column on a daily basis. If this algae and detritus were left to circulate and settle in my aquarium, it would be a mess.

Without the sock I am sure my skimmer would catch some of it, but not all of it. The use of filter socks may be the simplest way to reduce algae, and possibly other common issues, in the reef aquarium over the long term.

Christine

Yes it is indeed so Christine, and thank you for confirming it. The better the sock or the media used, the more detritus, algal material, and who knows what else that we cannot see or identify unless it is studied under a strong magnifying glass or a microscope, will be removed from the system that can then not pollute the tank.

But as you wrote, that sock, or material used for mechanical filtration, needs to be cleaned very regularly or it may block the water flow, or some of the matter inside may decompose and enter into the water (and yes the skimmer will remove some of that DOC and small particulate material that floats around, but not all of it).

The more, IMO, we can remove by mechanical filtration the better off we are (well the aquarium).

I also think that many hobbyist overlook the importance of a well set up and designed mechanical filtration part of their overall filtration method.

That combined with efficient skimming, has to make a big difference in the quality of the water in our tanks, regardless of what chemical filtration is used and which is necessary, and which is just in addition to the mechanical one, and the skimming.

Thanks for the post and hopefully those who read this will take a good look at how theirs is currently set up and how well it is functioning.

And besides the mechanical filtration components, it would be interesting to know what exactly is in the skimmate that is collected in the skimmer's cup, although we have a good idea, but no exact analysis.

I am going to try and find out some more information on that as by now after all the years that skimmers have been used there has to be a lot more information available than there was many years ago when I had the same thought.

Albert

Albert, this article confirms what I have visually seen using a similar system as described, the Berlin method with a 300 micron sock. My sock literally needs to be replaced every day due to it clogging up and no longer allowing water to flow through it. Amazing since I have a low bio load. Most of the contents of the sock are algae, green/brown in colour, and detritus. I simply cant believe how much is filtered out of the water column on a daily basis. If this algae and detritus were left to circulate and settle in my aquarium, it would be a mess. Without the sock I am sure my skimmer would catch some of it, but not all of it. The use of filter socks may be the simplest way to reduce algae, and possibly other common issues, in the reef aquarium over the long term.

Christine

Good post Christine and I concur. before we had socks we used (many still do) filter wool as a pre-filter. I have always advocated the use of a mechanical filter as with wool or sock or in fact both (I use both BTW) . IMO its a bit like using a skimmer in that when you see what a skimmer pulls out why would you want to leave the gunk in the aquarium? Same goes for pre-filters as in the muck that wool or a sock traps. I have tried reef tanks both with and without pre-filters of one sort or another and have long come to the conclusion our reef tanks are better off using them.

Citron Goby (Gobiodon citrinus) likes the R. yuma or so it seems!

This is the first time I catch my Citron Goby getting close to the R. yuma and actually lying down on/in it, without any harm done to him and without the Yuma even reacting to its presence.

citron0905.png

citrontwo0905.png

citronthree0905.png

And according to several Authors the sting from a Yuma can be pretty painful and can even lead to swelling of the area that was stung, e.g. a finger.

And as my Leather coral found out, the sting caused quite a bit of damage to that Leather (see previous post - the wound is now healing or just about totally healed).

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

3 becomes 4. :)

Hi Albert,

I have added a fourth culture to my existing 3 That I posted a pic of a little while ago on here. The new one is for re Phyto to back up the one I already had. I now have 2 phyto cultures on the go and 2 pod cultures.

The new one is on the far right of my kitchen windows sill in the pic.

PhytoandPodcultures001.jpg

I guess my girlfriend won't be best pleased when she sees the growing number of bubbling vessels on the window sill but I should be able to get out of a tricky situation by simply blaming YOU! :o

Well it was you that suggested I really needed a second Phyto culture probably in case the other collapsed or to rotate them. :mellow: However all I need to say to her is "sweetheart, I didn't really want yet another green bubbling things in the kitchen but Albert insisted I get another or he would be MOST disappointed with me and that if I didn't all my corals and fish would die :o " SIMPLES :P

The fact you are so far away will enable you to escape any real criticism or female rage and I will ensure she never gets my password on here or joins herself. ;) I know you won't mind me putting the blame at your door ( however I would make sure all your doors and windows are securely locked when you go to bed from now on :huh: ) as it was your idea after all. :) See I have your welfare at heart really. :)

Good post Christine and I concur. before we had socks we used (many still do) filter wool as a pre-filter. I have always advocated the use of a mechanical filter as with wool or sock or in fact both (I use both BTW) . IMO its a bit like using a skimmer in that when you see what a skimmer pulls out why would you want to leave the gunk in the aquarium? Same goes for pre-filters as in the muck that wool or a sock traps. I have tried reef tanks both with and without pre-filters of one sort or another and have long come to the conclusion our reef tanks are better off using them.

Hopefully these posts will result in hobbyists taking a good look on how their mechanical filtration is set up and make whatever changes may be necessary to trap more matter.

And on the skimmer, indeed the smell and appearance of it makes one wonder indeed why we would leave all of that in the tank!

Albert

3 becomes 4. :)and soon 4 becomes 5, then 6, then 7 ...

Hi Albert,

I have added a fourth culture to my existing 3 That I posted a pic of a little while ago on here. The new one is for re Phyto to back up the one I already had. I now have 2 phyto cultures on the go and 2 pod cultures.

The new one is on the far right of my kitchen windows sill in the pic.

PhytoandPodcultures001.jpg

I guess my girlfriend won't be best pleased when she sees the growing number of bubbling vessels on the window sill but I should be able to get out of a tricky situation by simply blaming YOU! :o

Well it was you that suggested I really needed a second Phyto culture probably in case the other collapsed or to rotate them. :mellow:

However all I need to say to her is "sweetheart, I didn't really want yet another green bubbling things in the kitchen but Albert insisted I get another or he would be MOST disappointed with me and that if I didn't all my corals and fish would die :o " SIMPLES :P

The fact you are so far away will enable you to escape any real criticism or female rage and I will ensure she never gets my password on here or joins herself. ;)

I know you won't mind me putting the blame at your door ( however I would make sure all your doors and windows are securely locked when you go to bed from now on :huh: ) as it was your idea after all. :) See I have your welfare at heart really. :)

Looking good Les, now you have the set up you need so you never run out of pods ... in fact you'll see why at the end of this post what your other options are :-)

And on who is responsible for all those jars, tubes, pumps, and noise of the bubbling ... yes go ahead just blame it on me :-) Not a problem ...

I am far enough away ... and as you say if all your corals and fish died :-) you would have to spend so much money to replace it all, that she would IMO immediately be appeased.

Looks good now and does not seem to take up too much space.

Now ... if you expand it some more, and add a couple of additional ones, you could start selling pods and make some money of it ... now there's an idea for you !!!

And you have the space for it .. so why not : - )

Albert

And on who is responsible for all those jars, tubes, pumps, and noise of the bubbling ... yes go ahead just blame it on me :-) Not a problem ...

I knew you would see it my way Albert after all a friend in need is a friend indeed. :)

I am far enough away ... and as you say if all your corals and fish died :-) you would have to spend so much money to replace it all, that she would IMO immediately be appeased.

This is true but to be honest I am not so sure you are far enough away but what the hell you can take the blame anyway as you agree. ;)

Looks good now and does not seem to take up too much space.

Exactly and I will show her this post just so I can be on the safe side. :)

Now ... if you expand it some more, and add a couple of additional ones, you could start selling pods and make some money of it ... now there's an idea for you !!!

And you have the space for it .. so why not : - )

Albert

;)

I never thought of that for one moment but I will again say and reaffirm it was ALL YOUR IDEA. omgomgomg

Off to do the late shift so be good. ;)

Hey Albert et al...

** Regarding Limewood Airstone Skimmers **

Here's something important that I'd like to share with the community regarding the various brands and versions of the small limewood airstone skimmers that are becoming so popular. I have one on my 10 gallon tank. It works great, but there's one small thing that everyone should do to their waste line that may prevent a minor or major disaster.

If you have the waste line come straight out of the skimmer and down into a bucket or container, it's possible to start a siphon if nutrients are suddenly added to the tank. In my case, when changing the filter floss, the skimmer will suddenly start producing a lot of foam. So much foam that it will fill the waste line and start a siphon on occasion.

I've had my skimmer start a siphon two times since I've had it. The first time I thought it was just a fluke, and I caught it before it filled the waste container. The second time, two gallons of saltwater ended up on the floor before I was able to intervene. Had I been in the basement doing water tests or cleaning buckets, it would have been a disaster.

Fortunately, the fix is simple. A couple of plastic fittings from the local hardware store is all you need. You can see what I did in the following video...

, I plug off my newly made anti-siphon vent while removing the filter floss. You'll see how much foam in produced. This time, it didn't start a full siphon; probably because I had just thoroughly cleaned the skimmer and replaced the airstone, so it wasn't producing it's normal foam yet. You'll get the idea though.

Everyone with a MAME, Gnome Glass, or any other brand of similar limewood airstone skimmer should consider adding an anti-siphon vent to their drain line.

Cheers!

Islandoftiki

Hey Albert et al...

** Regarding Limewood Airstone Skimmers **

Here's something important that I'd like to share with the community regarding the various brands and versions of the small limewood airstone skimmers that are becoming so popular.

I have one on my 10 gallon tank. It works great, but there's one small thing that everyone should do to their waste line that may prevent a minor or major disaster.

If you have the waste line come straight out of the skimmer and down into a bucket or container, it's possible to start a siphon if nutrients are suddenly added to the tank.

In my case, when changing the filter floss, the skimmer will suddenly start producing a lot of foam. So much foam that it will fill the waste line and start a siphon on occasion.

I've had my skimmer start a siphon two times since I've had it. The first time I thought it was just a fluke, and I caught it before it filled the waste container.

The second time, two gallons of saltwater ended up on the floor before I was able to intervene. Had I been in the basement doing water tests or cleaning buckets, it would have been a disaster.

Fortunately, the fix is simple. A couple of plastic fittings from the local hardware store is all you need. You can see what I did in the following video...

, I plug off my newly made anti-siphon vent while removing the filter floss.

You'll see how much foam in produced. This time, it didn't start a full siphon; probably because I had just thoroughly cleaned the skimmer and replaced the airstone, so it wasn't producing it's normal foam yet. You'll get the idea though.

Everyone with a MAME, Gnome Glass, or any other brand of similar limewood airstone skimmer should consider adding an anti-siphon vent to their drain line.

Cheers!

Islandoftiki

Thanks for this post islandoftiki as this is indeed something that those who use the kind of skimmers you pointed out should be aware of.

We already spill enough water as it is :-) that we certainly do not need a flood caused by a skimmer suddenly creating a siphon effect, and starting to drain one's tank.

I guess whether it can happen really depends on where the skimmer is placed, and what type it is, so I think that this does not apply to everyone, but to those who use the ones you listed and similar ones.

Thanks for the post and the video.

The Video shows how to prevent the siphoning effect from taking place.

I appreciate your sharing this information that can save those who use those types of skimmers a lot of grief and problems, and water damage.

Albert

Edited by albertthiel

13,000 gallon aquarium ruptures, forces casinos shutdown

By Leonard Ho - Posted Sep 05, 2012 01:00 PM

Over the busy Labor's Day weekend, a massive free-standing acrylic aquarium in Gulfstream Park (Florida) sprung one whopper of a leak, forcing the closure of two casinos on the premises.

Watch a video of the wet disaster after the jump

LINK:

http://tinyurl.com/cnsemsq

Glad I was not there that is for sure ... and it only proves that aquariums do rupture !

Albert