Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Say Hello to the Coldwater Cornish Lumpsucker (Lepadogaster Lepadogaster)

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer

FInally caught the last two Cornish Lumpsuckers out of my larger holding tank and got them into a small flow through container so I was able to get some decent pics of them :)

IMG_20120616_224715.jpg

IMG_20120616_224730.jpg

IMG_20120616_224739.jpg

IMG_20120616_224756.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Cold Water Marine Aquatics,

I NEED THIS GUY FOR MY AIO 6.2 TANK!

Requires 54 degrees!
AquaticEngineer
Feel free to send them over here! :P

Man I need to get a CW tank up. Can you get me some Spiny Lumpsuckers?

Better move fast sounds like Mike is getting one of the Cornish so there's only one more until we can order from Europe again. Pacific spiny Lumpsuckers continue to be hard to get. We are getting 4 east coast lumpfish in soon though :)

animalmaster6

Haha I won't be ready any time soon so it doesn't really matter. I was just wondering for the future.

I think I can get some east cost lumpsuckers. I know where they are around here, I just need to get them.

AquaticEngineer
what does this east coast lumpsucker look like?

Cyclopterus_lumpus.JPG

Cyclopterus lumpus (Linnaeus 1758 - sub-family Cyclopterinae), the Lumpsucker, is a rather "uncharacteristic" scorpaeniform fish. This harmless temperate species is not likely to be kept by aquarists, but is in favor with public aquariums and fisheries. They readily breed in captivity and are shared among zoological institutions. Male Cyclopterid flesh and female roe (caviar) are of commercial value for human consumption. Photo by Anthony Calfo
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
what does this east coast lumpsucker look like?

According to CW, I heard they are like max size 2 inches abd look just like their pacific cousins only not bright orange.

Cyclopterus_lumpus.JPG

Those look awesome!

Requires 54 degrees!

Yes, I really (really really really really) want these Pacific Spiny Lumpsuckers.

:D

AquaticEngineer

The Lumpfish found on the east coast have been known to reach sizes of 6". T

he Pacific Spiny Lumpsuckers have also been recorded at 5" long.

So on average they are found in the 3"-4" range and we will only bring in the smallest ones. Growth is pretty slow on them as well.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Yes, I really (really really really really) want these Pacific Spiny Lumpsuckers.

:D

If we can stir the pot more, we might be able to get CW to jump into Oregon waters, hey he can bkrrow my diving equipment as long as I getthe first one!

The Lumpfish found on the east coast have been known to reach sizes of 6". T

he Pacific Spiny Lumpsuckers have also been recorded at 5" long.

So on average they are found in the 3"-4" range and we will only bring in the smallest ones. Growth is pretty slow on them as well.

The smaller the better!

I want small, round balls of Lumpsucker joy! :D

^^Please don't interpret above sentence in the wrong way ;)

If we can stir the pot more, we might be able to get CW to jump into Oregon waters, hey he can bkrrow my diving equipment as long as I getthe first one!

I will stir :happy:

I will be okay with just one ball! I am not interested in mating. Lol

If I got the Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker I would definitely want to breed them.

Does anyone know what kind of breeding setup they need?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
If I got the Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker I would definitely want to breed them.

Does anyone know what kind of breeding setup they need?

I know CW knows the answer to that, but I think it requires our AIO setup to breed them... LOL

I want a Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker too! One ball for me please. Though will take a month or two to be ready. So Coldwater you have a little time before I put the pressure on :P

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Seriously,

I would be so happy with the Pacific Lumpsucker and my setup. What a combo thst would be.

animalmaster6
I want a Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker too! One ball for me please. Though will take a month or two to be ready. So Coldwater you have a little time before I put the pressure on :P

:welcome: to N-R!!

gearhead364

Requires 54 degrees!

That thing looks like a cross between a pokemon and a wart skin angler....

JoshColdWater

Working on them!!! Will be getting them from Japan as soon as the come into season right around October, right around reefopalooza........:)

According to CW, I heard they are like max size 2 inches abd look just like their pacific cousins only not bright orange.

Those look awesome!

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Cyclopterus-lumpus.html

Cyclopterus lumpus is recorded at 61.0cm max, roughly 24 inches; and most specimens appear to be gray with age . The pacific spiny lumpsucker is Eumicrotremus orbis and maxes out at 7 inches. There's also the toad lumpsucker in the same genus that's 3 inches.

also I already reserved a pair, get in line. CW should start a waitlist now to avoid needless bloodshed :ninja:

JoshColdWater

I'm sure we will do a pree sale as soon as we find out there comming so keep your fingers crossed we get tons of them.

I know CW knows the answer to that, but I think it requires our AIO setup to breed them... LOL

Lol... Very clever Mike ;)

I'm sure we will do a pree sale as soon as we find out there comming so keep your fingers crossed we get tons of them.

Reveal your breeding secrets to me! :ninja:

(please? :wub: )

Wasn't expecting you guys to all the way to Japan for them. It'll be cool if you get in a bunch of different color morphs. Yellow, red, silvers etc...

Archived