Euphyllia

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:mellow:

i think i figured out what happened. :unsure:

It was really weird. And some lounge rats enjoyed it. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Having TERRIBLE problems with the fish. If I don't do a water change every 24 hours or even more sometimes, the fish will all lay on the bottom and act dead until I do a water change and then they'll swim around. IDEK. So annoying. They're like... I don't get it. :angry:

Before my plants...

rhtn3k.jpg

After my plants...

2rgjtrd.jpg

After alto's plants...

3345e7t.jpg

And I have to leave the lights off now otherwise the fish go nuts.

Do you have the halide over it? No wonder the fish go nuts, you're blinding them lol.

Not anymore lol. I unplugged it days ago. Now they just lay on the bottom if I don't do a water change! So weird. They don't move at all. They look like they're dead and have fooled me countless times. :angry:

I'm worried that all the daily water changes I was instructed to do prevented the tank from cycling so it got worse and worse or something. WHY IS KEEPING GUPPIES SO MUCH HARDER THAN KEEPING SPS?!>!?>!! :angry:

jedimasterben
Not anymore lol. I unplugged it days ago. Now they just lay on the bottom if I don't do a water change! So weird. They don't move at all. They look like they're dead and have fooled me countless times. :angry:

I'm worried that all the daily water changes I was instructed to do prevented the tank from cycling so it got worse and worse or something. WHY IS KEEPING GUPPIES SO MUCH HARDER THAN KEEPING SPS?!>!?>!! :angry:

Have you been testing for ammonia/nitrite daily along with water changes? I've never known ammonia/nitrite to make fish lethargic, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Have you been testing for ammonia/nitrite daily along with water changes? I've never known ammonia/nitrite to make fish lethargic, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Well I've been doing 5g water changes every day, haven't I? Should keep ammonia down. On top of that, I'm dosing ammonia, nitrate and nitrite detox chemicals. I tested and got .25ppm ammonia, but if you test with ammonia detox chems it makes the test go nuts.

All of the babies are perfectly fine, 0 issues with them. Growing like weeds too.

Anyone know how to cure fin rot? The water is super clean. I do daily 5 gallon water changes to keep ammonia down since the tank didn't cycle. I have added 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water and I replace that every time I do a water change. I add Prime to detox ammonia, nitrates and nitrites too. Any tips? Both males have it on their caudal fins, but both females are fine.

Anyone know how to cure fin rot? The water is super clean. I do daily 5 gallon water changes to keep ammonia down since the tank didn't cycle. I have added 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of water and I replace that every time I do a water change. I add Prime to detox ammonia, nitrates and nitrites too. Any tips? Both males have it on their caudal fins, but both females are fine.

Nobody? :3

jedimasterben

Fin rot is a bacterial infection sometimes, other times it is a sign of poor water quality. Doing 5g water changes to prevent ammonia buildup is about as effective as throwing yourself out of a car at 70MPH to avoid a head-on collision.

Ok, maybe not the same thing, but close enough ;)

You need to be doing 75% changes or higher, daily, to prevent ammonia buildup, dosing Prime will help for the time inbetween.

And FYI, adding salt to a planted tank is a no-no, even the dismal amount you are adding will probably harm the plants. Guppies will only show benefit from salt in truly brackish or full-marine conditions, adding just a little amount of salt won't do much for them, if anything at all. This would require a non-brackish system, though. Unless you wanted to do a macro tank with them. :)

Unless you wanted to do a macro tank with them. :)

I can put saltwater macros in a brackish tank? :huh:

That sounds interesting...

jedimasterben
I can put saltwater macros in a brackish tank? :huh:

That sounds interesting...

Not quite what I meant. There are brackish water macros (anything found in estuaries would be brackish-compatible, for instance), but I meant full salt - 35ppt

Not quite what I meant. There are brackish water macros (anything found in estuaries would be brackish-compatible, for instance), but I meant full salt - 35ppt

Ah, I see. Well I like the freshwater plant look better than the SW one. I think I'll stick to FW.

I wouldn't have added salt, but I was starting to battle ich. Took care of it though.

OK I got a [air of lyretail guppies today and my final phrase of guppies is...

GUPPIES FREAKING RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I got a [air of lyretail guppies today and my final phrase of guppies is...

GUPPIES FREAKING RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup :lol:

DansTundra

See if you can get a used foam filter pad from a lfs or a buddy that has fresh water tank to help with the cycle. Also you can up the temp in freshwater tanks to help with ich unlike marine ich. I used to do this for my discus tank. Not sure what will happen to plants when upping the temp though. Never had freshwater planted tanks before.

Everything has been fine for three days without a water change, but still .25ppm ammonia... So both females now have red gills... IDK what to do other than keep doing water changes and add my ammonia detox shizz. <_<

Euphy what do you feed yours?

Flakes. :lol:

gupys r dum :happydance:

i want guppies in my pond but they would die :(

In the greenhouse mine take 60F nights and 80F days...

albertthiel
gupys r dum :happydance:

i want guppies in my pond but they would die :(

Yes a lot of heaters would be needed indeed to keep a pond at the right temp but IME they can take some pretty low temperatures as long as it does not change too rapidly ...

Want to see a strange FW fish ... ??

Well here is one :

oscarodd.png

Archived