Cultivated Reef

Maxima clam w/o light for 3 days?

nystang

I am fighting with some algae and decided to go with 3 days without light on top of other treatments. Although I know it will not harm fish or corals I don't have experience with the clam. Do you think it is safe to turn the lights off for 3 days for Maxima?

I am fighting with some algae and decided to go with 3 days without light on top of other treatments. Although I know it will not harm fish or corals I don't have experience with the clam. Do you think it is safe to turn the lights off for 3 days for Maxima?

How big is she?

About 2.5" , small

Hmmmm..if you said 3 inches I would say go ahead and do the 3 days, but your clam is not even sexually mature at that size. It oint die outright, but it will be very weak after 3 days in the dark. I would not do it.

Thanks. I was afraid it may be too much. I will have to find a better way to treat the algae. I already applied API algaefix and did a water change and hopefully it will be enough

Thanks. I was afraid it may be too much. I will have to find a better way to treat the algae. I already applied API algaefix and did a water change and hopefully it will be enough

Hopefully you are running phosphate remover and have a clean up crew with cleaner hermits and snails. Good luck.

jedimasterben

Listen to the Zeph-man, he is the clam whisperer. :D

What are your nitrate and phosphate levels, OP?

Listen to the Zeph-man, he is the clam whisperer. :D

What are your nitrate and phosphate levels, OP?

s

I feel like the clam whisperer when I am trying to sneak up on them to take propper pictures. I have to tippy toe close to the tank..and I say shhhhh...that a girl....dont move......

Then she "clams up" like a virgin on prom night.

:o

My phosphate and nitrates are both 0. I'm testing my water regularly and do 10% WC every week plus 15-20% every month. I am afraid my lighting period may be too long. I run actinic from 9am-10am, daylight from 10am - 7pm and actinic again from 7pm-8pm. Actinic light is longer by 1hr in the evening on weekends.

jedimasterben
s

I feel like the clam whisperer when I am trying to sneak up on them to take propper pictures. I have to tippy toe close to the tank..and I say shhhhh...that a girl....dont move......

Then she "clams up" like a virgin on prom night.

:o

Pfftch.png

LOL.png

My phosphate and nitrates are both 0. I'm testing my water regularly and do 10% WC every week plus 15-20% every month. I am afraid my lighting period may be too long. I run actinic from 9am-10am, daylight from 10am - 7pm and actinic again from 7pm-8pm. Actinic light is longer by 1hr in the evening on weekends.

It is not the photperiod. People wonder how come they have algea problems when nitrates and phosphates are always zero. It is because of all the nutrients in your sand bad and the algea currently living in your system. Stir the sand bed lightly every few days and siphon off as much algea as you can. Algea begats algea. Dont waste your time and money with chemicals.

Thanks. I siphoned a lot of algae yesterday from the sand yesterday during over 25% WC. On Monday I added API Algaefix which is reef safe and several people reported good results. I was afraid of stiring the sandbed. I remember I read somewhere it may remove a lot nutrients to the system. Am I wrong (again)?

Thanks. I siphoned a lot of algae yesterday from the sand yesterday during over 25% WC. On Monday I added API Algaefix which is reef safe and several people reported good results. I was afraid of stiring the sandbed. I remember I read somewhere it may remove a lot nutrients to the system. Am I wrong (again)?

Stir it lightly a few times per week. That detritis is not only coral food but is adding to your algea problem. It will take a few weeks. Only bad things happen fast in reef tanks. Problems alsways take some timeto fix.

How's the flow your tank?

good point... particularly if it is cyanobacteria and not algea. I have seen many cyano problems fixed simply by increasing water flow or total tank turnover rates.

In 29 g I have 2 Hydor Koralia 425 powerheads.

that sounds fine. Try to make sure all areas are receiving sufficent flow and you will have done all you can.

Thanks. I will definitely follow your recommendations. The algae is not horrible yet but I want to take care of it before it is out of control. Thanks for your help guys.

Archived