Top Shelf Aquatics

The Enchanted Forest: My 10g Macro Tank

gena

albertthiel

Nice look and do I see hanging baskets to acclimate additional livestock?

Albert

FTS 5-16-12

plantedtanks3.jpg

Specs

Tank

Approximately 10 gallons (17" x 11" x 12")

Lighting

2x 18w Current Nova Extreme T5HO fixture

Filtration

AC20 HOB Filter with sponge

Macroalgae

Live Rock

Heater

Eheim Jager TruTemp 50 Watt Fully Submersible UL Approved Heater

Rock and Sand

approximately 10 pounds Maricultured purple Fiji Rock

no sandbed

Livestock

Fish

1 Orange-Lined Cardinalfish

Cleanup crew

2 nano serpent stars (from sealifeinc.net)

assortment of snails

Inverts

6 Sexy Shrimp

2 nano serpent stars

Macroalgae

C. Barbata

Padina Sp.

Spicifera

Green Gracilaria

Dragon Tongue

Blue Ochtode

Violet Dream

Nemastoma

Yet to be identified macros

Red nano sponge

Orange Frilly Sponge

Orange gorgonian

Yellow Gorgonian

Coral

pink cabbage leather

ricordea florida

Red, pink mushrooms

zoanthids

Maxi-mini anemones

Maintenance Routine

2.5 gallon water changes once a week

top off 1-2x per day

Feed 1x per day

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice look and do I see hanging baskets to acclimate additional livestock?

Albert

Thanks, Albert!!!!! This tank actually started out as a frag tank, so the baskets were put in there to hold cuttings of coral. Low flow to allow the cuttings to attach to pieces of rock, etc. It now mostly holds the overflow from all the macro algae in this tank. I'd like to get the baskets out, but I'm so dependent on them, at the moment. They are very convenient :happy:

MrAnderson
FTS 5-16-12

plantedtanks3.jpg

lovelovelove this!

one of my first nanos was a mixed coral/macro tank, and i caught a lot of abuse for it lol. but if you go diving on a healthy reef you see plenty of macro mixed in with the corals, so it's not just a lagoon look, but an accurate representation of a healthy reef. nice job on such a vibrant tank, it's a knockout!

albertthiel

Yes I agree once you have them you always find something to put into them :)

OTOH you could slowly remove what is in it and then when they are empty remove the baskets. Now if you have macro-algae in there and some fish in the tank that eat them then you do have an issue but remember that if conditions are right macro-algae grow real fast and unless you have a lot of macro eating livestock in there you should not have a problem putting them in the tank.

Of course if you have too many macros you could always try to sell them or trade them for something with someone on the Forum here

Albert

Thanks, Albert!!!!! This tank actually started out as a frag tank, so the baskets were put in there to hold cuttings of coral. Low flow to allow the cuttings to attach to pieces of rock, etc. It now mostly holds the overflow from all the macro algae in this tank. I'd like to get the baskets out, but I'm so dependent on them, at the moment. They are very convenient :happy:
lovelovelove this!

one of my first nanos was a mixed coral/macro tank, and i caught a lot of abuse for it lol. but if you go diving on a healthy reef you see plenty of macro mixed in with the corals, so it's not just a lagoon look, but an accurate representation of a healthy reef. nice job on such a vibrant tank, it's a knockout!

Thanks, MrAnderson!!!! It's my all time favorite tank. I'm planning a bigger version of this with my 28g tank. Can't wait!!!!!

Yes I agree once you have them you always find something to put into them :)

OTOH you could slowly remove what is in it and then when they are empty remove the baskets. Now if you have macro-algae in there and some fish in the tank that eat them then you do have an issue but remember that if conditions are right macro-algae grow real fast and unless you have a lot of macro eating livestock in there you should not have a problem putting them in the tank.

Of course if you have too many macros you could always try to sell them or trade them for something with someone on the Forum here

Albert

My baskets are doing double duty right now. They are also holding coral while I wait for my 28g tank to cycle. Eventually I'll be able to remove the baskets since I'll be moving the macro growth into the new tank. My plan is to eventually be able to sell and trade the macroalgae.

I don't have any macro eating fish...just the two ocellaris clownfish. I do have some snails that munch on my wishbone algae. It appears that they "sucked" the color out of the leaves in a few spots. Good news is, the red color has come back where they did the damage.

I'm really fascinated with growing macroalgae...even more so than coral. I just wish it was easier to find unusual, not run-of-the-mill algae! Even so, all the macroalgae I have found so far has been fantastic.

Spirofucci

If and or when I get a sump/fuge I think I'll have to do macro in there, instead of a big clump of cheato. You, Danyello, and Randi have me convinced. Of course it will be a display fuge!

surgicalsense
If and or when I get a sump/fuge I think I'll have to do macro in there, instead of a big clump of cheato. You, Danyello, and Randi have me convinced. Of course it will be a display fuge!

Well we can always ship you a clump. Stuff grows fast!

This is a must. Forget boring chaeto!!!!! I'll be holding you to it ;)

surgicalsense
This is a must. Forget boring chaeto!!!!! I'll be holding you to it ;)

Also, I think this stuff (Danyello macro) eats up the nitrates at a insanely high rate just as cheato. Yup.

I'll have to do some reading on this macro stuff, but looks like they don't have any strict requirements.

I'll have to do some reading on this macro stuff, but looks like they don't have any strict requirements.

They are sooooo easy!!!!! That's why I'm stocking my new tank with a ton of macro :lol:

Lol -- just did a quick image search on danyello macro and most of the first couple of rows are pics of your tank!! You're more than famous now; you are iconic :bowdown:!

:o :o :o

You have the most amazing tank I have ever seen. The colors and blend of macros is perfect. All it needs now is... nothing.

Lol -- just did a quick image search on danyello macro and most of the first couple of rows are pics of your tank!! You're more than famous now; you are iconic :bowdown:!

:lol: I just did a search. I didn't see anything on yahoo...but google turned up a ton of photos :lol: I see me, Randi, banshee and deckoz showed up in there. That's just wrong that Danielle's isn't in there....it's her namesake for goodness sake :lol:

There's some strange dog and cat pictures in there too...and even a Marilyn Monroe. Weird the stuff that pops up from searching Danyello Macro

:o :o :o

You have the most amazing tank I have ever seen. The colors and blend of macros is perfect. All it needs now is... nothing.

Thank you so much!!!!!! I need to do a new FTS on this thing. Stuff has grown so much lately. Ever since I added the fish, it's taken off. And I did a water test showing zero nitrate :happydance: Those plants are eating it up and growing beautifully. This is the only reef tank I will do from now on. Macro-algae is too awesome :)

Everything looks astounding Gena! You have once again done an awesome job.

Thanks!!!!!!! I can't wait to do a bigger version of this in my 28g tank!!!!!!

:lol: ... Danyello is the macro that cleans.

But doesn't out-compete other macros!!!! It's truly the miracle macro. It grows fast, but so does every other macro in this tank :)

surgicalsense
But doesn't out-compete other macros!!!! It's truly the miracle macro. It grows fast, but so does every other macro in this tank :)

;)

Danyello macro? How cool is that!

Did you google images the name? You know...you came up with the name Danyello...remember?

Wow, beautiful color combination!

Thanks, Miss Nano. And :lol: your avatar!!!!!!!!!

Updated pictures are on the way. They are downloading right now. I'd like to get them at the top of page 11 rather than the bottom of page 10!!!!! I need a few more posts ;)

Well, guess the photos will have to be at the bottom of page 10. I'm not hanging around here waiting for page 11...too much to do :lol:

Hopefully you can see the tremendous growth I've had in the last few weeks. I know this is from adding the fish and twice daily feedings. They are still babies and need more than one meal a day ;) Their color has gotten gorgeous. Such a bright orange. Unfortunately the photo of them turned out a bit blurry!!!!!

pictures......

Unknown algae hitchhiker. It came in with my C. Barbata. It's a purple color and grows in a mat. It looks similar to ochtodes but not as thick of a stem. Whatever it is, I LOVE it!!!!!! It's what the sexy shrimp is standing on.

macrounknown.jpg

Someone, can't remember who, asked me if my Fauchea was getting the blue hue to it. Most definitely, it is. Since it settled itself in, the blue has really come out on it. One of my favorite macros, for sure. The photo is a little washed out:

macrofauchea.jpg

The clowns, with the fauchea again, below them:

macroclowns.jpg

Dragons Breath: growing and maintaining that gorgeous red and orange color. It's stunning!!!!!:

macrodragonsbreath2.jpg

macrodragonsbreath.jpg

New FTS 6-11-12. Extra frag rack added to hold the corals waiting to go into the 28g tank.

macrofts.jpg

• Like 1
Did you google images the name? You know...you came up with the name Danyello...remember?

I just hope when she is rich and famous, I get some credit!

Pics are fabulous! Love the little clowns, I'm glad they made it!

Archived