Coral Vue Hydros

The Enchanted Forest: My 10g Macro Tank

gena

The dragon's breath LOVES my macro tank! This morning I caught a snail on the wishbone algae. Well, first I noticed some white spots that led a trail to the actual snail that I quickly removed from the algae!!!!!!!! If I catch any on it again, I'll have to remove those snails. I forget exactly what kind they are. It came from reefcleaners and it has sort of a feather pattern on it. I got a few of those cuz I like their shells so much. Little did I know!!!!! :o

Looks like I have some potentially bad news. The biggest clownfish didn't eat for me today and it's swimming a bit wobbly. I noticed it had an overbite when I first got it, so I think it probably has a genetic problem with it. I really don't think he'll be with me too much longer. Which leads me to deciding on whether to replace it, or take the remaining clownfish and introduce it to my B/W beast!!!!!!! I'd do this in the new tank of course...otherwise she'd eat him for dinner in the NC12!!!!!!!

I'm not sure what to do. I think most likely I'll replace the one and leave them in the macro tank. But, the other option is a possibility.

I also made a video of the macro tank, but haven't gotten around to putting it on youtube. I'll try to do that soon.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about your clown Gena. My B/W kicked the bucket this morning. Pretty sure it was Brooklynella so no more fish for us until late-July. :(

Love the gena macros!

Sorry about the clown maybe it'll be okay..... :mellow:

How's life going?

Thanks, Randi. The clown is no worse today, but still didn't eat for me. That's never a good sign :(

I've decided I'm definitely going to just get a replacement, when the time comes and keep them in the macro tank. The other little guy is very strong and healthy. Funny that he was the one I was concerned about when I first got them cuz he was so much smaller and weaker looking. Oh well. Speaking of clownfish....Big Bertha, as I've now coined her, my b/w clown has had a major growth spurt. She either grew in the last month or so, or I'm seeing her size now that I have the baby clowns. She's really gorgeous!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your clown Gena. My B/W kicked the bucket this morning. Pretty sure it was Brooklynella so no more fish for us until late-July. :(

Thanks, Sara. I saw on your thread :(

I really like those green mushrooms! I have a new green striped mushroom but it crawled into a hole in the rock and hasn't come out yet. I don't think my mushrooms like my LEDs very much.

Sorry to hear about your clown :(

Sorry to hear about the sick clown :( Are you sure its not showing any signs of disease like brooklynella. The captive bred ones are pretty prone to genetic defects, but they generally try to cull those from the breeding stock. They do occasionally wind up in the stores though. That's how I ended up with my black and white clown with permanently flared gills. It really doesn't cause him any problems though, he just looks goofy and I guess he'd be more susceptible to gill parasites if they got introduced to my tank. I'm surprised whatever genetic defect yours might have is affecting the little guy so much. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he surprises you and pulls through.

I really like those green mushrooms! I have a new green striped mushroom but it crawled into a hole in the rock and hasn't come out yet. I don't think my mushrooms like my LEDs very much.

Sorry to hear about your clown :(

Me too!!!!!! I can't wait to see them in the new tank. I may move them sooner than other things since they are so squished in that soap basket. They need to spread their wings and fly :lol: I guess the tank they came from was over-run with these guys. I hope they do that to me!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the sick clown :( Are you sure its not showing any signs of disease like brooklynella. The captive bred ones are pretty prone to genetic defects, but they generally try to cull those from the breeding stock. They do occasionally wind up in the stores though. That's how I ended up with my black and white clown with permanently flared gills. It really doesn't cause him any problems though, he just looks goofy and I guess he'd be more susceptible to gill parasites if they got introduced to my tank. I'm surprised whatever genetic defect yours might have is affecting the little guy so much. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he surprises you and pulls through.

Your finger crossing might be working. He's looking and acting a ton better today. He's interested in food, but is spitting out the pellets...at least that's more than he was doing. I'm going to pick up some new frozen today. He must be eating pods or something. He has so much more energy today. Maybe he just had a little gas :lol:

That's it. Now my pico is going to be for my few NPS, random softies, AND Macro. Between you and Keydiver the temptation has slowly been building.

Not in my main display though...need room for coralz.

That's it. Now my pico is going to be for my few NPS, random softies, AND Macro. Between you and Keydiver the temptation has slowly been building.

Not in my main display though...need room for coralz.

macro>coral :lol: In some ways ;) Don't forget some sponges!!!!!

It just so happens I need to buy a few things from Sealife Inc...I'll add sponges to the list. Well, when I have money again any way :P. I'm going to take a crack at Macro's, all though it seems the only variety I've ever had that won't melt under LED is Halimena.

I also need a Maxi, but I think I'll have to hit up Reefgardener to find it. My main inhabitant won't mind the intrusion.

nathanq.inc

Glad the clowns picked up its health! I'm in the process of attempting to source some macro algae for my mushroom forest, c. Barbata is top of my list, yours looks so cool, how fast do they grow? It's not like caulerpa or cheato is it? I'm still finding stray bits of those in my tank lol.

Your finger crossing might be working. He's looking and acting a ton better today. He's interested in food, but is spitting out the pellets...at least that's more than he was doing. I'm going to pick up some new frozen today. He must be eating pods or something. He has so much more energy today. Maybe he just had a little gas :lol:

Yay! I'll keep wishing him well and hopefully he'll make a full recovery. :lol: Maybe he did just have some gas. Fish are so goofy and confusing sometimes.

Spirofucci

How's the little guy doing today? He's so small that he might still need to be "burped" after each feeding. I'd like a vid of that please.

It just so happens I need to buy a few things from Sealife Inc...I'll add sponges to the list. Well, when I have money again any way :P. I'm going to take a crack at Macro's, all though it seems the only variety I've ever had that won't melt under LED is Halimena.

I also need a Maxi, but I think I'll have to hit up Reefgardener to find it. My main inhabitant won't mind the intrusion.

Morgan has some amazing looking maxis! The colors on mine are improving. It's fun to watch them go from dull to vibrant :) I don't know that they'll ever be as gorgeous as the ones Morgan has though.

I'll be hitting up sealife inc. too when my tank is ready. In about a month :)

Glad the clowns picked up its health! I'm in the process of attempting to source some macro algae for my mushroom forest, c. Barbata is top of my list, yours looks so cool, how fast do they grow? It's not like caulerpa or cheato is it? I'm still finding stray bits of those in my tank lol.

The barbata grows pretty quickly! It's a very cool looking macro. It's a calcareous algae and needs plenty of calcium to grow. It's totally not like caulerpo or chaeto.

Yay! I'll keep wishing him well and hopefully he'll make a full recovery. :lol: Maybe he did just have some gas. Fish are so goofy and confusing sometimes.

How's the little guy doing today? He's so small that he might still need to be "burped" after each feeding. I'd like a vid of that please.

Thanks guys!!!!! He is even better today....what a relief!!!!!!! I haven't tried feeding yet but yesterday he ate some cyclops for me :happydance: He does have stringy white poop though. I'm going to take Danielle's advice and add garlic to the food. I ordered some last night (added to an existing order) so I should have it tomorrow.

I still need to get that video on here. So much to do, so little time :lol:

nathanq.inc

Thanks for the heads up! my calcium is at about 475ppm. Really hope they can get me some! it's a nightmare trying to get macro algae over here. My male clownfish also has white stringy poo, i thought it was an intestinal parasite or something but nothing ill has become of him as of yet and that's been a good year and a half!

Any more of your sexies go missing or has it just been the one?

Thanks for the heads up! my calcium is at about 475ppm. Really hope they can get me some! it's a nightmare trying to get macro algae over here. My male clownfish also has white stringy poo, i thought it was an intestinal parasite or something but nothing ill has become of him as of yet and that's been a good year and a half!

Any more of your sexies go missing or has it just been the one?

I've read it's an intestinal parasite as well. Danielle said her clownfish had it but it cleared up after she gave it some garlic. That's what I'm going to try too.

No more have gone missing. I'm positive the one was eaten by the cardinal!!!!!! One of my maxis is on the move. The biggest one. It was being shaded by the ever growing macro and didn't like it. It's on the wall of the tank now...ugh! I need to get it off, but I've been major procrastinating with it :lol:

Glad to hear the little fella is improving :) everything looks fantastic :D

Thanks, Paige!!!!!!! He's like a new clownfish!!!!! I truly think he had gas!!!! It was probably the introduction of a new food type that didn't sit well with him. He ate a ton today...yippeee!!!!!!!

------------------

Look what I found today. What a happy surprise. PINK tunicates???????? They are very sensitive to movement and vibration and will close up.

edit: these were in the tank all along...I just never noticed them until today!

tunicates.jpg

You have some amazing luck! You should go play the lottery. I get bryopsis and bubble algae and you get pink tunicates! :lol:

surgicalsense

You could of got those as HH from my stuff. I have mainly white and just large purple one off of my purple mushie rock. Maybe :P

I still have plenty of pineapple sponges ;)

Yay! You got yourself some tunicates too! I love the nice pink color of those.

I thought they were tunicates :) My first :happy:

Haha! What are the odds of a pink thing turning up in your tank??? Very cool.

:lol:

You have some amazing luck! You should go play the lottery. I get bryopsis and bubble algae and you get pink tunicates! :lol:

I have bryopsis too and bubble algae....just not in this tank!!!!!!!! I can't be plagued in every single tank I own...that would be too unfair :)

You could of got those as HH from my stuff. I have mainly white and just large purple one off of my purple mushie rock. Maybe :P

I still have plenty of pineapple sponges ;)

I didn't know you had those!!!!! I'm pretty certain they came with that macro I picked up from live-plants.com. It has a bit of rock attached to it that these are growing on. I need to see your tunicates!

--------------

I am 100% sure my clownfish is going to live. He's eating and swimming like a normal fish now. Hooray!!!!!!

photos!!!!!

Yay for photos!! Such nice ones, too. The green mushies are really nice -- and a perhaps silly question: you once mention that you "scrape" the side of your tank. Mine is accumulating these little hard green spots that the mag float does not make go away. What are you using to scrape the sides? Everything I see for the purpose in stores seems so ridiculously big for the bc14.

:lol:

I

Look what I found today. What a happy surprise. PINK tunicates???????? They are very sensitive to movement and vibration and will close up.

edit: these were in the tank all along...I just never noticed them until today!

Very lovely!! I have tunicates (at least that is what I assume they are when they have a "tube" like that one in the picture) in various shades including yellow, a weird coral-orange, and the latest is almost transparent with what looks like little red dots. Maybe that one will turn out to be something else altogether.

I get those tiny green bumps of algae too. The best thing for them is reef-cleaners snails!!!!!! Not sure which one eats them, but I had a ton. After I added the snails they were gone.

For scraping the tank, I have a nimble nano magnetic cleaner. I've found the round Two Little Fishies magnetic cleaner works better though. It's much stronger. I'm ditching my nimble for a new TLF round one.

Archived