Innovative Marine Aquariums

picOcean

owlbassboy

none that I can think of, just the horror of my face when I came home after a challenging few weeks with my corals and saw the skeletons lol. since I never mess with my bowl, I knew that was the last change I made so after taking it out things reset just fine. I must say though that this is only a brainstorm, x3 blew my mind that his giant goni frag was harmless in his tank. My cutting was just about 4 heads, smaller than yours I think. the allelopathic signaling and various chemistry differences among these tiny picos make predictions hard to ensure sometimes, but I am certain my tank cannot handle goni.

I like to just rattle off anything that may or may not impact lol just things to keep in mind. If it helps any, my tank was obviously struggling, all the corals were partially open, and those two were really bad off. It wasn't something that could have been interpreted any other way. judging by the health of your corals I don't think you are chemically there yet, just something to keep in mind.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just perfect

Are you still blast feeding and did the peroxide work to keep the gaps clean I'm wondering

The colors in there are just perfect

Are you dosing anything now

i dose nothing, i feed enough powder food for a 300l tank every few days.

i have been using the h2o2 but its struggling to keep on top of bryopsis so might try some more regular h2o2 blasts.

i run an oxydator now but dont notice any difference with it tbh.

thanks :) ive pissed off my fruit loops zoas with the h2o2 but hopefully they will recover

I predict fully they will be ok. We vote zoanthids as the single most peroxide resistant creature found...I purposely try to kill some ugly brown ones in my tank by putting 35% directly on them, tank drained, and leave them sizzling for 10 mins in the air direct contact :)

The next day, open as normal lol its pretty offensive.

Ultra small pico reefs like this one are a testament to the controllability and predictability of 3% use

I don't know of a better way to clean algae or undesirables out of the small spaces between corals in this tank other than occasional peroxide zapping

All I know is this works until a better way is found. Some picos never need it, i was just never that lucky. One of the benefits in packing a pico with coral every square inch is the real estate on live rock is actually used up and algae are outcompeted for both light and vital space. I see zero bad algae anywhere, it looks perfect. Those colors coral werent available to me when I set up my tank I'm so jeal! :)

Clearly your corals are fed well.

oh no ive killed a few other colonys after a h2o2 session in the past but hopefully these ones will recover

Can you post pics of them now so we can track them

It would be great to update the threads with pics of any zoanthid losses

We need pics of them in the damaged state to see how they change

before

IMG_5364_zps4f02a4ba.jpg

after(excuse the stripping acro frag, i have moved it from the nano where the heater cooked it :( )

IMG_5585_zpse44d7c43.jpg

what has happened here happened once before and they just seem to melt away, both times triggered by h2o2 but its either lose a few zoas or just have an algae tank. ill keep doing it until someone shows me something as effective

Excellent thanks!

Was it direct contact to that colony when tank drained? The other colonies were unaffected but this one declined it seems

Those would be expensive zoanthids at my lfs for sure

I noticed there was no algae in between the polyps...frag looks clean it didn't appear to need treatment? Curious if direct or indirect contact was involved

I've had some of my older colonies shrivel bad like that before it will be interesting to see if they make it. That frag would cost 80 at my lfs

the before photo was about a month ago, my wife had a baby since then and algae took a hold lol all the zoas in the tank have had direct contact with h2o2 before

i got it "cheap" off a member on thenanoreef.co.uk but it was still £25 i think

So you does h2o2 directly into the water? as a form of carbon dosing OR just directly to problem area when doing water changes?

No i think he is applying it to any bad areas when the tank is drained, then refill up the tank a little, drain that part back out to remove the peroxide, then refill all the way.

Some just fill up the pico once after a smaller treatment

Its spot applied to kill algae

awesome tank so far. brandon, good to see you around still as well. i wish i would have known about the peroxide dosing back when my pico was setup. i'll definitely be following this one closer

• 4 weeks later...

Archived