Innovative Marine Aquariums

Boo's box of saltwater

ReeferBoo

altolamprologus

Well I only briefly took a look at your setup, but it's believable you kept the duster for a year without feeding it. Forgive me if I got the details wrong, but the duster was in the old setup (20 gallon tank with 15 gallon refugium) right? Under the right conditions that's enough to keep a feather duster alive and kicking, so congrats on being able to do that. However, with four other dusters and coco worms all competing for the same limited food source, IMO you should start dosing phyto. A quarter cup of home grown phyto once a day in the morning will be fine if you're not running a skimmer. If you do run a skimmer, 3-4 times a day would be better. It's hard to tell if that's enough or not, but if a duster loses a crown, you should double the amount you feed.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I only briefly took a look at your setup, but it's believable you kept the duster for a year without feeding it. Forgive me if I got the details wrong, but the duster was in the old setup (20 gallon tank with 15 gallon refugium) right? Under the right conditions that's enough to keep a feather duster alive and kicking, so congrats on being able to do that. However, with four other dusters and coco worms all competing for the same limited food source, IMO you should start dosing phyto. A quarter cup of home grown phyto once a day in the morning will be fine if you're not running a skimmer. If you do run a skimmer, 3-4 times a day would be better. It's hard to tell if that's enough or not, but if a duster loses a crown, you should double the amount you feed.

You're right, the yellow duster was in the old tank too, but the other three coco worms came 2 months before it..the small hitchhiker dusters came with the very first rocks, only two grew larger though.

I never fed phyto, or even thought about feeding phyto until now.......Although, I have this weekly maintenance practice where I'd turn off the return pump, clean the glass, and just leave the brown/green stuff(I guess they're some type of micro-algae) floating in the DT and being blasted around by the wavemakers, I then do my weekly WC a day later. I started doing this since I noticed that my sun corals opened up a bit bigger whenever I clean the glass, and I figured that other filter feeders might benefit from it as well. Maybe, this helped the dusters to thrive too? :huh:

P.S: I'd still like to try feeding phyto, I'm hoping that it'll help the dusters and coco worms to grow bigger crowns :D

Wow the clam must suck up calcium! You dose?

Uhhh..I'm not sure what you're looking at man :lol: , most of the pictures I've posted just show out of focus portions of my crocea clam..maybe you're talking about the elegance coral behind the starfish cliffhanger? :huh:

here are some pictures of the crocea clam for you, it's a small guy (around 2 inches), and no, I don't dose :happy:

april_15480x640.jpg

IMG_0006modified.jpg

altolamprologus
You're right, the yellow duster was in the old tank too, but the other three coco worms came 2 months before it..the small hitchhiker dusters came with the very first rocks, only two grew larger though.

I never fed phyto, or even thought about feeding phyto until now.......Although, I have this weekly maintenance practice where I'd turn off the return pump, clean the glass, and just leave the brown/green stuff(I guess they're some type of micro-algae) floating in the DT and being blasted around by the wavemakers, I then do my weekly WC a day later. I started doing this since I noticed that my sun corals opened up a bit bigger whenever I clean the glass, and I figured that other filter feeders might benefit from it as well. Maybe, this helped the dusters to thrive too? :huh:

P.S: I'd still like to try feeding phyto, I'm hoping that it'll help the dusters and coco worms to grow bigger crowns :D

Scraping off the micro-algae and leaving it in there definitely helps. That might actually fully feed them depending on how much algae grows. Feeding them phyto, even if it's just a couple times a week, will help them too. You may even be able to get them to spawn since your tank already produces a bunch of food for them.

Scraping off the micro-algae and leaving it in there definitely helps. That might actually fully feed them depending on how much algae grows. Feeding them phyto, even if it's just a couple times a week, will help them too. You may even be able to get them to spawn since your tank already produces a bunch of food for them.

Thank you for the insight :) ..I'll definitely be ordering in a phyto culture within the week, I have this picture in my head of a sand-bed full of dusters omgomgomg

Not to go too off topic, but if you don't mind...

Since you live in the ideal highland climate for Nepenthes in a place where tons of species I keep are found, I was wondering if you would be able to look up the absolute coldest it gets on winter nights and winter days where you live and the absolute warmest it gets on summer nights and summer days where you live. If you could, that would be awesome, because I'm really interested in seeing what my Nepenthes can take. I know they can take really hot temperatures, as they have taken temps in the 90s, but I'm worried about it getting too cold. If you're able to give me the info or give me a location around your elevation somewhere in the Philippines so I could look it up myself, that would be awesome!! :D

Euphy...I live here

Baguio City

Have fun with the lightning storms lol... :lol:

AccuWeather says its been 90F for the last few months, the other two services say its been in the 70s... :huh:

Nice tank dude! I'm from the Philippines, specifically Laguna. Baguio is awesome though. I've been there a lot of times when I was back home. Gotta love the "kulangot" and the barrel men LOL!

Tinola, I think you made me have an epileptic seizure lol

Have fun with the lightning storms lol... :lol:

AccuWeather says its been 90F for the last few months, the other two services say its been in the 70s... :huh:

Those are broad generalizations, IME the temperature ranges from 11-15C during the coldest months and 19-25C during summer...actually this past summer has been the hottest that we've ever experienced.

Yeah, we use degrees celcius :P

Nice tank dude! I'm from the Philippines, specifically Laguna. Baguio is awesome though. I've been there a lot of times when I was back home. Gotta love the "kulangot" and the barrel men LOL!

Tinola! paborito ko yan na ulam haha...Thanks for the compliment, there are lots of local reefers in Laguna now :) hahahhahhaha those two items are must-haves for tourists around here. :lol: :lol:

Don't forget to drop me a pm if ever you decide to visit Baguio again ;)

holy moly your tank is b e a u t i f u l ! ! !

Thank you exosket, Your tank is AMAZING! omgomgomg

:lol:

One word...wow

Awww, thanks! :lol: ...I'm glad to hear that you're staying

:o

;) , it's typhoon season right now, haven't had time go out and look for nepenthes

;) , it's typhoon season right now, haven't had time go out and look for nepenthes

Awww! :tears:

Typhoons are always fun... :)

I work from home so...yeah the typhoon won't affect me much...so long as the power keeps running :lol:

albertthiel

Very nice and I like how you show the progression of what the tank eventually developed in. Any very recent pics you can post for all of us (and me) to see ?

Thanks Albert

Hey All, I'm Roland and I've been a regular lurker in NR for more than a year-and-a-half now. I've been into the hobby for roughly the same amount of time. I got hooked when my girlfriend and I got a 5 gallon tank with a few freshwater fish, then I decided that I wanted one too but the girlfriend suggested that I try something different...and the rest, as they say... is history. B)

Recent FTS-May 2012

may_12800x416.jpg

Started with a "saltwater tank package" offered by a local LFS (I'm from the Philippines btw). Inclusions of the said package were a 20 gallon tank, an overhead filter, a cheapo light, a floating hydrometer, some saltwater, sand and some liverock (all for a little over 30$)

DSCN3349.jpg

At this point, I had very little knowledge about keeping a captive reef, and as you can see, the set-up I ended up with left a lot to be desired. So while cycling the tank, I did a lot of reading (it's a good thing that the local LFS introduced me to a local reef forum), and I went ahead and added a 15G sump, 2 wavemakers, an appropriate lighting fixture, and a few more lbs of liverock.

This is what I ended up with

DSC03901modified.jpg

After adding the first few batches of livestock

05082011407modified.jpg

fast forward a few weeks/months and the tank looked like this

P6170010modified.jpg

to this

DSCN4718modified.jpg

and this

DSCN4903modified.jpg

and this

P6150106modified.jpg

just kidding :D :D

After a year, this is how the tank looked like

DSCN5513modified.jpg

As, you can see, I was in dire need of additional space for my coral frags (I am absolutely in love with zoas and ricordeas and couldn't have enough). This is why I decided to upgrade to a slightly bigger tank with much wider and shallower dimensions.

and thus,

P3170551480x640.jpg

The "big transfer day"

P3140524640x453.jpg

The final product

newtank_29478x640.jpg

The new tank's dimensions are: 24x22x12, I also added a bigger sump 20G

recent FTS

newtank_18640x377.jpg

newtank_16640x480.jpg

newtank_13552x640.jpg

Current tank details:

-24x22x12 DT, with a laser-cut overflow box

-24x16x12 Sump, 3 chambers

Chamber 1:intake of overflow, heater, a few lbs of LR, some brittle stars and a scarlet hermit

Chamber 2: fuge, a huge ball of chaeto and some type of caulerpa, more liverocks, more brittle stars, and a pair of halloween hermits

Chamber 3: return pump and AC

Filtration:

-Around 40+ lbs of Liverock

-Chaeto

Equipment:

2 3watt Resun Wavemakers

Haqos heater

Resun s-1500 return pump

Aquazonic 24" quad t5HO 2actinic blue and 2 12000K super sun whites

Aquahouse fuge light

albertthiel

Looks nice and I guess the Cat thinks so too :)

Albert

Ha Ha I have a watchcat too

IMG_20120419_195503.jpg

Archived