Coral Vue Hydros

Wholotta wawa - 180G Reef - Taste the Rainbow

MikeTR

I vaguely remember a video from Red Sea instructing that it doesn't matter what color it turns into, just that it changes from blue. There's a certain point where it's blue, then one drop turns the whole thing grey. Then additional drops turn it to the other color, so you keep an eye on the mark before each next drop. As soon as one drop begins to turn the vial remotely pink/orange/red, you stop and use the number before that drop.

For me it ends up being blue, drop, grey, drop, grey, drop, pink. So I use the last 'grey' measurement.

EDIT: I really hope that made sense.

yeah it does... but chemicals are chemicals.. so the reagent should be the same color change every time. That's just piss poor quality control.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe Salifert has ever had an issue. :) When I first got into the hobby I used Red Sea, first bottle was great, bought the refill and it turned from red to orange and was hard as hell to read. I switched to Salifert and never looked back, but I still use the Red Sea bottle holders and bottles.

jedimasterben

It's a pretty significant increase. I'll probably run at half speed reef crest to get the same output as the gyre. Dead silence. I can't wait.

If you want a better comparison, grab the 'rugged' paddles for the Gyre. Maxspect keeps denying it, but there is a roughly 40-45% increase in total flow from them. I measured about a watt higher power consumption, so I thought what I saw was a fluke, I can't run the damned thing anywhere near what it was running at before, it was the same with the 130. It's since been confirmed by a lot of others. I think that was Maxspect's 'No, f YOU' to Ecotech lol

Sat on the floor for quite a while this evening staring at this maze of pipe and contemplating the meaning of life. Was rudely interrupted with a thud and some flopping around as my coris wrasse decided to fly out. Lucky I was there to grab him from behind the tank. Fixed the screening and carried on with figuring out a plan to plumb in the new pump. God willing it should be a quick job. I'll cut pipe after the first true union ball valve coming from the sump and add a 2" coupler to connect to the pump inlet with a short piece of pipe. I'll cut out the second true union valve on both sides and refit to the pump outlet on the one side. The other side of the valve will connect into a 1.5" elbow into a 1.5" to 3/4" tee up to the return and connect it back in to the rest of the plumbing. Sounds simple right? The only spot where I think I'll be cutting it close is on one side of the true union as it wont seat all the way into the fitting. I have a good 1/2" and should be ok if I don't screw up the initial cut.

plumbing.jpg

Wow, good thing you were just sitting there when the wrasse decided to commit suicide!

yep.. it def rung his bell.. was a little disoriented going back in the tank.

Woohoo. All the plumbing is done. I lucked out on this one. Literally not a 1/4" to spare on the outlet plumbing. So so sooo lucky. I'm not in the mood to sit and watch for leaks at midnight after it all dries so gonna hook up the trusty mag 18 backup.

Woohoo. All the plumbing is done. I lucked out on this one. Literally not a 1/4" to spare on the outlet plumbing. So so sooo lucky. I'm not in the mood to sit and watch for leaks at midnight after it all dries so gonna hook up the trusty mag 18 backup.

I just realized there is no tank on that stand photo above. How on earth are you going to move it onto the stand? :o

I just realized there is no tank on that stand photo above. How on earth are you going to move it onto the stand? :o

As the sump looks unused I'd guess it was an old photo from when he set the system up demonstrating what he meant by maze of piping lol.

As the sump looks unused I'd guess it was an old photo from when he set the system up demonstrating what he meant by maze of piping lol.

Oh.... That makes much more sense

Oh.... That makes much more sense

Hahahaha, this has just made my night.

Anyway glad you managed to get the new pump in reasonably painlessly. I've been considering building an acrylic sump with a much better use of space compared to the sump my system came with. But I look at how much plumbing I'd have to change and suddenly the it'll do type nature of my current sump doesn't seem such a problem lol.

I'd hate to be forced to change anything with my plumbing, people who setup from the off with flexi hose are onto a winner I think.

Got hit with the stomach bug so I haven't fired up the vectra. Feeling better today so I'd like to kick it on while I'm home. My only concern is the water sitting in the pipes and the chiller reservoir for a day. Normally I flush it, but that takes 2 people and the other half isn't here. So do I wait, or am I go for launch.

Got hit with the stomach bug so I haven't fired up the vectra. Feeling better today so I'd like to kick it on while I'm home. My only concern is the water sitting in the pipes and the chiller reservoir for a day. Normally I flush it, but that takes 2 people and the other half isn't here. So do I wait, or am I go for launch.

1 day? I don't think 1 day of water in pipes would do anything.

1 day? I don't think 1 day of water in pipes would do anything.

Well we're fixin to find out. I'm sure it's cold tho. How'd your stuff manage? Nice and toasty again?

Have to agree with Harry here, water standing in pipes for a day isn't going to have gone bad. How big is the chiller reservoir?

I'm guessing were talking less than 10 litres of water to begin with right.

Well we're fixin to find out. I'm sure it's cold tho. How'd your stuff manage? Nice and toasty again?

Nah still cold but looked fine this morning. Ill see this afternoon

I hope you feel better. I vote you stay home for lunch, because a stomach bug should be treated with home cooked meals.

Archived