MikeTR

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New equipment on the way.. gets here Friiiddaaaay... :happydance:

BRS 2 Part Doser – 1.1 mL per minute

1 Gallon - BRS Bulk Magnesium Sulfate

1 Gallon - BRS Bulk Magnesium Chloride

Space Saver Jug – Thin 4 Liter (1.05 Gallon)

1 Micron Purtrex Sediment Filter

10" - 0.6 Micron MATRIKX CTO Plus Carbon Block

Energy Bar 8 - Neptune Systems

New equipment on the way.. gets here Friiiddaaaay... :happydance:

BRS 2 Part Doser – 1.1 mL per minute

1 Gallon - BRS Bulk Magnesium Sulfate

1 Gallon - BRS Bulk Magnesium Chloride

Space Saver Jug – Thin 4 Liter (1.05 Gallon)

1 Micron Purtrex Sediment Filter

10" - 0.6 Micron MATRIKX CTO Plus Carbon Block

Energy Bar 8 - Neptune Systems

That second EB8 makes a world of difference with your control factor, what are you using the doser for?

Christine

Doser(s) are for alk and calc. I had it all listed in a perty little table with quantities and whatnot but the forum software conveniently reorganized it :rolleyes:. I'm out of outlets on the one EB8 I already have. I could probably consolidate a few plugs onto a single outlet but that just leads to clutter, mess, and the added weight of the cords, things tend to just wiggle out. I need some wiggle room. I have to unplug my fan (white cord, easy to see) so I can run an extension cord out to the garage to the pump I use for water exchanges. I remotely turn off the pump this way without having to dash out to the garage to unplug it. Pump doesn't run dry and I don't have to figure out what to do with 50ft of hose that's still full of water.

So.. here's my dosing for dummies. I calculate how much carbonate my reef uses over a 1 week period by testing every day. I use one of them online reef calculators to figure out how much product, in my case baking soda, it takes to raise the level back up to the original value and dissolve that amount in a gallon of water. I add that gallon over the course of a week via the doser. I could easily add double the amount of carbonate to the same gallon (provided it doesn't exceed what can be dissolved) and dose over a 2 week period. Am I missing something here?

No, you're not missing anything in terms of making up dosing solutions. However, I'd strongly recommend you measure how much carbonate your tank uses over one week if you are going to use more concentrated solutions.

jedimasterben

I would just make a stock solution and stick to that - that way you don't have to change the amount you add to a gallon of water - just have to change your dosing amount.

I would just make a stock solution and stick to that - that way you don't have to change the amount you add to a gallon of water - just have to change your dosing amount.

Yea I need to really spend some time on the formulas and figure this out.

Clam and welso lookin good, magenta bird rtn'd..

Mag solution is mixing.. according to the BRS calc I need 4.5 cups to raise my level 100ppm. I went conservative on the volume too (130 gallons). That seems like a lot and considering my mag is at about 1050 right now, I'll need to dose about 3/4 of a gallon to get them up to 1350 over the course of the week.

NEED:1048.3 ml
35.4 fl oz
209.6 tsp

glad I tested again.. and again.. and again.. figured I would test again before dosing just to be accurate. got readings of 1260, 1280 and erroneous. Looks like I don't need to add quite as much.. I've added 2 cups and will test again in a couple hours to see what the impact is.

already goofed 2 nights ago and grabbed the tablespoon instead of the teaspoon.. so in went 3 tbs of baking soda which is about 9 tsp's.. brought me up from 7 to 9.. too much too fast grasshoppa

Video update uploading..........................................................................................

................................................................................................................................

.......................................................................................................................

Blubbernaut

Ugh. This makes me want a larger tank so bad. Curse your beautiful tank! ;)

Same here. But if I ever somehow do get a larger tank, it'll definitely be coldwater.

update on params. nothing to see here. - 6/23/13

Alk 8.4

Calc 410

Mag 1300

pH 7.9 - 8.16

PO4 - .13

NO3 - 10 or less

so.. looks like I didn't totally kill the magenta bird.. I thought it was params but turns out I just light shocked it. I figured coming from under morgan's 400w radiums I could just mount it where I wanted it. :slap: not the case.. must not skip the light acclimation.

This guy doin what he does best. only one that takes on the mp40 at full power. Have had him for exactly 1 year now.

BE842378-BCDE-4D6A-916D-64D82BFD2778-427

This poor guy, have bleached him completely white.. twice.. almost recovered now after the 2nd time.

0F3DE824-492F-4D4B-B36D-8E3B2BECEDBF-427

and just cuz they're perty..

135BD1D8-A3B3-4CC3-B5FD-E17D653446DD-427

Archived