inTank Media Baskets

Angler Away! - Wartskin Macro Tank

ccapasso

hopefully someone w/ macro experience can help. I think cutting down the time but not turning off completely though.

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made the decision Friday to turn off the lights for the weekend.

Came back into the office yesterday and things were really looking better! (Then I made the silly mistake of leaving the lights on all night...woops).

Still looking pretty good today and the macros seem to be getting most color back that was lost. Still a little ways to go until a full recovery but things are starting to look up.

Update:

Everyday I come in, the brown is back. No slime or anything like that.

I'm 99.9% sure that it is diatoms. I can take a turkey baster and blow it all away. Problem is, it is everywhere; On the macros, the rocks, the substrate, the walls...everywhere.

I ordered a clean up crew which was delivered yesterday in hopes that this may help. Other than that, I don't know what else to do. All parameters are in line (no Nitrates or anything like that).

Any other suggestions/advice?

Islandoftiki

It sounds like diatoms, but could it maybe be cyano?

Maybe you have excess silicates in the tank causing a diatom outbreak.

Not sure that it is cyano. Isn't that red color that I normally see.

Not familiar with extra silicates. Can you expand on that please?

Actually, diatoms really does make sense. One thing I did add recently to the tank was branching coralline and fine coralline. I'm willing to bet that is what caused the outbreak. I would imagine it is very similar to adding live rock. This was all living and I'm guessing caused the outbreak.

Islandoftiki

Diatoms require silicates to survive. If you can reduce or eliminate any silicates, you'll get rid of the diatoms. There are a couple filter medias that adsorb silicates.

Next question:

My Rock Nem is not very happy with all of this and has detached himself and is floating around (looks pretty funny honestly, lol).

Anyways, I am trying to think of a good way to keep him safe.

Any suggestions?

I thought about putting him in a cup, but the only cup I have here is plastic and way too small for him to expand fully.

Maybe put him back in the fuge for now? Although this will give him no light.

jedimasterben

I've never had a rock flower that detached by itself, but when moving them, they always reattached within an hour. Maybe try placing it in a different spot with any powerheads off and let it do its own thing?

Decided to let the lights run a normal cycle over the weekend while I was gone.

Came back into the office today and everything looked much better first thing this morning.

Things stayed clear until the GE bulb came on (which is at noon). After that, everything started to brown back up.

I took at look at the skimmer and noticed that it looked like nothing was going down the output hose. Took it apart and washed it out and YUCK! It was clogged! Gave it a good rinse out (no scrubbing tools here at the office today) and put it back in place.

Also, I put the nem in a plastic to-go bowl for now so that he quits blowing around.

I'm thinking I'm going to let it go another week with the skimmer cleaned out and see what happens. If things still progress and continue to brown up, I think I'm going to change the bulb. Maybe it is too much light for the tank?

jedimasterben

I've made it a point to clean out my skimmer with every dump of the cup (which unfortunately has been every day for me for the past few weeks!!!), otherwise gunk in the neck just rapes efficiency. :/

Islandoftiki

Chris,

Your description of everything looking good until the lights came on screams cyano to me. Chemi-Clean will make short work of that. I had to use some in my 25 gallon mantis tank because I have the flow so low in there to accommodate the mushroom corals that cyano grows pretty easily in some parts of the tank.

Thanks, will take a look into Chemi-Clean. Did you use an airstone as suggested or did you just mix it and turn up power heads?

jedimasterben

Chris,

Your description of everything looking good until the lights came on screams cyano to me. Chemi-Clean will make short work of that. I had to use some in my 25 gallon mantis tank because I have the flow so low in there to accommodate the mushroom corals that cyano grows pretty easily in some parts of the tank.

Why do you have low flow for mushrooms? I've got some that are three inches under a Tunze 6095 at 100%. Unless you're trying to get them to attach.

Islandoftiki

Thanks, will take a look into Chemi-Clean. Did you use an airstone as suggested or did you just mix it and turn up power heads?

I did use an air stone just to be safe. I was surprised at how clean the rocks and sand looked after one treatment. It pissed off the mushrooms the most, but after a week, they looked even better than before.

Why do you have low flow for mushrooms? I've got some that are three inches under a Tunze 6095 at 100%. Unless you're trying to get them to attach.

Everywhere there's any real flow, the mushrooms have all detached and floated around until they're eventually all in the lowest flow parts of the tank. If I were to crank up the flow any more, they'd all end up in the back corners of the tank. LOL.

I did use an air stone just to be safe. I was surprised at how clean the rocks and sand looked after one treatment. It pissed off the mushrooms the most, but after a week, they looked even better than before.

Everywhere there's any real flow, the mushrooms have all detached and floated around until they're eventually all in the lowest flow parts of the tank. If I were to crank up the flow any more, they'd all end up in the back corners of the tank. LOL.

You think I could just get away with using my air stone from my skimmer? I know the directions state to turn off the skimmer when using that treatment. I was thinking that I could just use the air stone from it, put it in the display portion of the tank and turn it on.

It is either that or I have to go out and purchase an air stone specifically for this.

Islandoftiki

You think I could just get away with using my air stone from my skimmer? I know the directions state to turn off the skimmer when using that treatment. I was thinking that I could just use the air stone from it, put it in the display portion of the tank and turn it on.

That's exactly what I did when I treated the 10 gallon tank for the green cyano. I just used the limewood air stone. Worked great. The tank was full of little bubbles while I was treating it, but it didn't seem to bother anything.

Thanks Guys!

Gotta love amazon Prime. Ordered that Chemi-Clean stuff last night, will be here tomorrow :).

For now, I'm just keeping on top of hitting the nasty growth with the turkey baster to clean off as much as possible.

I'm willing to bet that I had bad water in my previous auto top off container and that may have caused this. Here's hoping this treatment clears it all up. If not, back to the drawing board, lol.

Islandoftiki

I'm actually thinking about making chemi-clean a regular maintenance procedure every three months, maybe 1/2 the normal dosage. I'm astounded how much it just generally cleans up the tank and makes everything look pristine.

Chemi-clean is due to arrive today (usually around lunch). I'll treat and update once I know more.

Of course, I come in today and noticed that my light didn't look right when powered on. Two of the bulbs didn't come on.

After troubleshooting, it would appear that I had one bulb (that was just purchased in May 2013) go bad already! Errrrr....

Luckily, I had a spare bulb, though it was a different type than the previous.

So now I'm running the following for lights:

(Back to front)

Aquablue Special

Purple+

Blue+

GE6500K

Islandoftiki

You'll probably begin noticing a major improvement starting tomorrow. It usually takes about 2 days to kick in, then bam!

Archived