Top Shelf Aquatics

Angler Away! - Wartskin Macro Tank

ccapasso

All macros have been placed. About to leave the office and head home. Here are a few quick pics:

MjVUVxT.jpg

8Jjwm9h.jpg

VVqv6KQ.jpg

OCnqd9J.jpg

JWAR0pJ.jpg

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki

You should see my dragon's breath macro in the G. Ternatensis tank. I'm going to have to take some out already.

That's going to look awesome.

New lights purchased. Ordered the following last week and will be here Monday or Tuesday:

Blue + (x2)

Purple+

AquaBlue Special

I wanted to get a GE6500 but couldn't find any. However today, my luck changed. LFS had some in stock and I grabbed one up.

So as soon as the lights come in, I'm going to put in this to start:

Blue +

GE6500

Purple+

Blue+

New lights are installed.

Setup as follows (Front to back)

• GE 5400K
  • Blue+
  • Purple+
  • Blue+

The Blue+ are on from 8am-8pm.

The GE 5400K and Purple+ are on from 12pm-5pm.

Any feedback suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Took some pics so I'll get them uploaded soon.

iPhone pics didn't adjust well with no White Balance. Ended up switching to the Nexus and snapped a few:

FTS:

f8ckLGB.jpg

Dragon's Breath:

ioCWMPd.jpg

Red Titan:

sdRNENO.jpg

Codium:

RsZgOIY.jpg

Red Grape:

3uDs2yP.jpg

Blue Ochtodes:

PextYkt.jpg

Unknown and Angler:

JinfiYK.jpg

Little guy's like a cartoon. I just want to steal him! Macros are looking good - heavily in the red spectrum. That on purpose?

No stealing the little guy :) He is too awesome. And yes, heavy on the red on purpose. That was really all I could find. I don't want Macro that is going to grow out of control. I wanted stuff that would be Display quality. As the non-red ones grow, I'll cut them and re-locate the new pieces throughout so it isn't just red.

In other news, I have now successfully fed him twice using tongs. Granted it was live ghost shrimp but he took it happily right with the tongs in clear sight!

Islandoftiki

That light combination is almost exactly what I have on my 10 gallon tank. It's a really good ballance, IMO. It really makes reds pop.

NirvanaandTool

If you ever have to get rid of some clippings of the red stuff, feel free send it to the guy who convinced you to get an angler. :)

Congrats on the feeding. Getting him used to the tongs now is key. Next go for a frozen ghost shrimp.

If you want to add a little more green, Caulerpa prolifera would look nice in there in the substrate. Not invasive like other caulerpas. It grows kind of like a wide blade seagrass if planted in the substrate. Great nutrient exporter too.

Thanks guys!

When the macros start growing out, I'm hoping to be able to harvest and ship :).

Also, I did some browsing today at reefcleaners.org and found a bunch of macro in stock (because John is awesome!). Decided to add a bit more color to the tank:

kSe1JV0.png

Ignore the Pods+, they are for my 55g :).

NirvanaandTool

Nice. Curious to see what really takes off in the tank. I'm in need of some new macros in the 40B.

Talked to John about the order and we are going to wait on shipping for a few weeks. Next week doesn't work for me (due to Holiday) and the next doesn't work either. Great guy to work with, John is going to hold them and ship on 6/10. So it'll be a little bit before any new Macros but I have something else coming in next week.

NirvanaandTool

Oh ya John is awesome to deal with. The amount of cleaners he sends in his orders is insane. So whats coming next week?

I gotta talk with him and see what he recommends for macros for me. I tried ulva and red gracilaria over the winter but they never took off in either of my tanks.

Next week I have a surprise coming in :).

Also, John mentioned that he is going collecting so he may have more types of Macros to choose from when he gets back.

Snapped a couple of quick pics. Looks like the new light is helping quite a bit as it would appear quite a few things are growing already.

tuBLoVu.jpg

wjL2h2n.jpg

JXWvO8m.jpg

P9eNrPS.jpg

So, slight change of plans this week and now I have 3 deliveries coming in!

And, based on tracking numbers, it looks like all 3 should arrive tomorrow! Woohoo!

Archived