Innovative Marine Aquariums

Angler Away! - Wartskin Macro Tank

ccapasso

jedimasterben

RO/DI water is incredibly difficult to test properly for anything, AZdesertRat has said a few times that it pretty much takes lab-grade equipment to get accurate readings from such pure water.

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RO/DI water is incredibly difficult to test properly for anything, AZdesertRat has said a few times that it pretty much takes lab-grade equipment to get accurate readings from such pure water.

Thanks ben!

My plan right now is to replace the substrate. Currently, it is a crushed argonite mix that I've had. I ordered some live sand and I'm planning on doing the following:
1. Remove all rock and macros and place in tub with tank water
2. Clean all rocks and macros
3. Remove existing substrate
4. Replace with new live sand
5. Ensure rocks and macros are clean then put back in tank
I'm hoping this may help some.
jedimasterben

It will probably be worse for a while since the stuff in the sand will probably be dead and break down, but should calm down after a while, unless you're awesome like me and nothing you do helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

The other week I did a water change. After that, things still continued to brown up (was still getting the diatoms). I then decided to make two small changes:

1. Added some chaeto the system

2. Added purigen to the system

It has been in there for almost a week now and things are starting to look better. In fact, the lights have been on normal today and so far not even a hint of diatoms. Here's hoping this is finally beat.

On a sad note, I did loose another macro with all of this. My red titan = no more :(.

On another note, I now have quite the hair algae outbreak going on. Thinking I might need to pick up a turbo or emerald?

A few days now and things still look good. No more diatom breakout! Hooray!

Now to deal with this GHA outbreak and back to normal. Still thinking of replacing sand though.

Islandoftiki

A few days now and things still look good. No more diatom breakout! Hooray!

Now to deal with this GHA outbreak and back to normal. Still thinking of replacing sand though.

I'm about to give up on taking my sand bed out one section at a time and just drain the tank this weekend, scoop it all out and install a new sand bed of bagged live sand.

I'm about to give up on taking my sand bed out one section at a time and just drain the tank this weekend, scoop it all out and install a new sand bed of bagged live sand.

Lol. That is what my plan is. My bagged live sand (40lb bag) is in my office ready to go. The plan is as follows:

1. Bring in very large round plastic tub
  2. Drain water from tank into tub
  3. Move rocks and macros in tub
  4. Remove substrate into a different bucket
  5. Put live sand into tank
  6. Put half of tank water back in
  7. Put 50% new water (water change) in
  8. Scrub rocks clean
  9. Put racks and Macros back in

Oh...and of course within there is remove Warty and put him in the tub too.

• 2 weeks later...

So good news....

Everything seems to be back to normal. After I got done with the diatom issue, I was plagued with a Hair Algae Outbreak. Tossed in a few snails and an emerald (haven't seen him since but I don't think he was eaten) and all is well. There seem to be a few bubble algae here and there but I just remove it as I see it. So all in all, things seem back to normal.

Here are updated pics:

KQEvnYo.jpg

mlgrwLh.jpg

IpUQY7U.jpg

I had to remove a lot of the Red Grape as it was plagued with Hair Algae. I'm hopeful it will continue to grow healthy now.

Warty has been out and about more and more and seems to be much happier now too. He got a special treat last week (live Molly) and is doing quite well!

Looking good again. For what it's worth, the nitrate issue in my tank is going away with the removal of the crushed coral substrate.

Got in another shipment of Ghost Shrimp and man were there some larger ones this time. Managed to snap a quick video of the feeding:

Angler can down anything up to its own size as you know. I feed him once every 2 weeks live Molly or glass shrimp since he refuse to touch anything else. Inactive fish but amazing to watch preping his deadly attack. :)

That is just too cool. :happy:

Love it. My sister had one, don't know why but it died. I love the coloring in yours. It's fantastic.

Thank you. Sorry to hear about your sisters :(. They are very neat fish.

Love the look of this tank and the frog fish soo cool. Personally I'm more towards the sandy-white beach look. Still like the look of the floor bed.

Thanks! I have purchased live sand to replace the existing substrate with. Just haven't gotten around to swapping it out yet :)

Always loved anglers for some strange reason. Here is mine, feeding on Molly almost his own size. And awesome setup btw

Awesome angler! It is crazy how they can eat nearly anything! I gave mine a molly a few weeks ago and he devoured it! I try to be sure not to give him anything too big as it can cause issues if they cannot digest it all the way.

• 2 weeks later...

looks like it was more of a "I've eaten and I CAN"T GET UP!" Just love it. You'd think they'd get indigestion from doing that. Ha- little burp bubbles floating up. That WOULD be gross (but kinda cool).

Awesome angler, love it's coloring!!! I have a question about your fuchea macroalgae.... How is it doing well for you? I have some & am having a hard time figuring out what it likes.

Archived