Cultivated Reef

fifty50's Reef Octopus 32g

fifty50

tank is about 9.5mo old at this point. here are a couple quick photo updates with a 'real' (not an iPhone) camera...

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

ora redplanet and tricolor valida growth:

IMG_0297.JPG

FTS 2/10/13:

IMG_0309.JPG

enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking good man....What return pump are you using?

Eheim 3000 Compact, it has an adjustable rate of flow. It's set to the lowest setting and it still blows sand away slowly from the front right corner of the tank where I have the return pipe pointed to. Ordered some loc line to Y the return and direct the flow elsewhere. Should help.

I just placed the order for my RO T60. Just hope it ends up 1/2 as nice as yours and I'll be happy!

thank you for your kind words! let me know when you start a tank diary and i'll definitely tag along. you don't see many of these tanks out there!

just got the maxspect razor 120w 16000k fixture today. i really like the fixture overall. have to come up with an acclimation schedule for the next few weeks for all the coral. also need to get used to the LED's and the shimmer after using t5's for so long. i also hope the corals color up more than what they've been. i was probably at about the 10mo mark on the ATI T5 bulbs. we shall see how things go. stay tuned!

I ordered the same light. I had AI LEDs on my last tank and really liked them. For my new tank I wanted a simpler way to mount to the tank so went with the Razor. Low and slow acclimation and you'll get the colors you've been missing. Post a pic with the light when you get a chance. I'm living through you until all my equipment arrives!

I ordered the same light. I had AI LEDs on my last tank and really liked them. For my new tank I wanted a simpler way to mount to the tank so went with the Razor. Low and slow acclimation and you'll get the colors you've been missing. Post a pic with the light when you get a chance. I'm living through you until all my equipment arrives!

exactly. i wanted a fixture that i could sit on the tank without having to hang it. i've seen this fixture on other reef octopus t60's and t90's so i took the dive as well. i'm going to start with a max out of around 45% and bump it up 5% each week. slow and steady! we'll see how that goes.

i'll snap a few quick photos later today when the light is fully on.

Do you find the Vortech MP10 to be more than enough? I have a friend that willing to sell my old MP40 back to me for less than the MP10 costs new.

Should be ordering my T60 in the next couple of weeks. I ll be using the AI Vega since I already have it. Cant wait to start building it. Fifty the white stand is it glossy or more of a flat white?

PodRod I use to have a MP40 on my 57g and it was crazy powerful. I have an MP10 on my 30g now and its not at 100% I have it at 60% and it still blows sand around so you might have to restrict the MP40 on your T60 alot.

Do you find the Vortech MP10 to be more than enough? I have a friend that willing to sell my old MP40 back to me for less than the MP10 costs new.

MP10 is plenty. I keep it on reefcrest at 80%. with the MP10 and return pump it's plenty. I even get the sand in the front right corner blown back over time because of the return. Trying to fit locline on the return to split it with a Y but need to find the PVC adapter that fits on the return pipe.

Should be ordering my T60 in the next couple of weeks. I ll be using the AI Vega since I already have it. Cant wait to start building it. Fifty the white stand is it glossy or more of a flat white?

stand is a glossy white. how do you plan to hang/mount the AI Vega?

ps. i'm so glad to see others are getting this tank! it doesn't seem to be as main stream as other options out there. mine is just shy of being setup for 10mo at this point.

Razor fixture settings to acclimate:

0700 A:0 B:1

1100 A:10 B:15

1300 A:30 B:50

1600 A:40 B:50

2100 A:30 B:35

2300 A:0 B:0

Before - Aquatic Life 4x24 T5's with ATI bulbs:

IMG_0316.jpg

After - Maxspect Razor 120w 16000k:

IMG_0317.jpg

FTS 2/16/13 with Maxspect Razor fixture with A channel at 40% and B channel at 50%:

IMG_0321.JPG

loving the acros, the overall tank looks way cleaner with the razor.

trying to do a similar scape with my solana was well.

definitely. tank looks way better overall with the streamlined razor. the t5 fixture was probably 4-5" thick whereas the maxspect is 1"! there are more shadows though with the two led clusters compared to the 24" t5 fixture.

yea t5s do cover the whole length of tank,

i just got a radion for my solana havent had a chance

to hang it but really happy with the spread of the light

I really like this tank and am considering a Luxury 90 in the near future.

Is there anything you dislike about this system or would change if you had it to do over again?

I really like this tank and am considering a Luxury 90 in the near future.

Is there anything you dislike about this system or would change if you had it to do over again?

not using the sump that's part of the setup to gain more space in the cabinet for an ATO reservoir or containers for 2 part dosing. easier to do with the larger t90 though. if you get the sump that is packaged with the t60 and t90, it occupies the entire footprint of the cabinet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, what's with no updates for over a week. Don't leave us hangin

lol, i don't post too often. just continue to let things grow out and mature. no new hardware or livestock really. battling aiptasia so in the past month i've tried nudibranches, which i haven't seen any of them since they went in the tank. went ahead and nuke'd them with aiptasia-x but of course missed a few. i've recently gotten the "tank bred aiptasia eating peppermint shrimp" from live aquaria so we'll see how they do.

also bumping up the maxspect razor intensity by +5% every week for coral acclimation. maxes out at 55/60 at this point.

Razor settings:
1130 A:20 B:25
1330 A:45 B:60
1600 A:55 B:60
2130 A:55 B:60

lol, i don't post too often. just continue to let things grow out and mature. no new hardware or livestock really. battling aiptasia so in the past month i've tried nudibranches, which i haven't seen any of them since they went in the tank. went ahead and nuke'd them with aiptasia-x but of course missed a few. i've recently gotten the "tank bred aiptasia eating peppermint shrimp" from live aquaria so we'll see how they do.

also bumping up the maxspect razor intensity by +5% every week for coral acclimation. maxes out at 55/60 at this point.

Razor settings:

1130 A:20 B:25

1330 A:45 B:60

1600 A:55 B:60

2130 A:55 B:60

Light settings look good and that peppermint shrimp will eventually take care of the aiptasia. I already see some in my tank. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out the water level in the sump. I'm using your pic as a guide. My skimmer needs a level of 6" to 7.75". Isn't the water suppose to flow over the baffle and not under?

over the baffle yes, but since it's not sealed i'm sure i have some going under the baffle. i cut and stacked egg crate held together with zip ties to raise the skimmer to it's optimal level. i don't recall exactly but i think my skimmer is raised 6" or so. as for the water level in the return chamber i just marked it off with a marker at some point and aim to keep it there. i manually top off right now due to not having a spot for a water reservoir. i do have a tunze osmolator that i use for vacations though.

over the baffle yes, but since it's not sealed i'm sure i have some going under the baffle. i cut and stacked egg crate held together with zip ties to raise the skimmer to it's optimal level. i don't recall exactly but i think my skimmer is raised 6" or so. as for the water level in the return chamber i just marked it off with a marker at some point and aim to keep it there. i manually top off right now due to not having a spot for a water reservoir. i do have a tunze osmolator that i use for vacations though.

Do you have the baffle all the way down? If so, how much do you have going over the top?

Do you have the baffle all the way down? If so, how much do you have going over the top?

yea, i've pushed the baffle all the way down. it's a nice steady stream going over, but not enough to disrupt the water in the return chamber (if that makes sense).

Archived